REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

Seasonal work & new EI rules.

I have done my very best in trying to figure out the new rules and how they work regarding seasonal work.

I am a commercial fisherman and work seasonal 6 months out of the year, in those 6 months I pay into EI. In my 6 months off I usually claim EI Fishing benefits. Which of course makes me a frequent claimant.

With the new rules in effect this year the info I got out of it was as a frequent claimant I would only be allowed a claim for 1-2 months max. After that I'm on my own, good luck, go find work.

Now where things start to not make sense to me is, fishing is my career. I love it, I've been doing it for years. Where else am I going to find a job that will hire me for the 6 months during off season? From an employers stand point it doesn't make sense, why hire someone that can only give you 6 months at a time then he is gone.

I guess what I am asking is was there something I missed somewhere? Something that will enable to keep my fishing benefits longer? Or a program that will link out of season workers with temporary steady work?
Advertisement
A-Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
So you want to get paid by the government for doing 6 months of nothing?

Become a politican, find a new job or deal with it.

-There are lots of people who do seasonal work at ski hills or golf courses
-Use those 6 months to start a trade welding(approx. 7 months), use your marine contacts and start doing aluminum repairs
-Learn scuba diving and clean the bottom of boats

You could easily find work for 6 months at a time depending on your skills.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

too many abusers in the maritimes man.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: