REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #251
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Bumped into a friend of mine who was doing some welding related courses and stuff at the same time as me a while back. Got to talking about what we were up to, he mentioned he spent about 3 months up in Ft.Mac, made enough money, now he has his own welding rig all setup and he travels in and out of FSJ and some other BC industrial sites in the comfort of his own vehicle, has all his own tools with him, can mobe and demobe in a matter of hours.

He just started contracting out like this and is already making 15k a month. Albeit you guys have to understand he works 25 days out of a month, has his rig expenses to pay as well as insurance, and even years ago when I knew him, he was one of the best welders I knew. But still if I were to ever go back to the tools thats the route that I would go. Nothing beats having your own welding machine and tools with you, and if shit ever gets ugly, you can just drive off into the sunset.

EDIT: Wow just reading through this thread, more industrial workers on RS than I thought. Catching up on this thread, and i'm reading a lot of familiar job sites. Good to see more people not afraid to stray from the pack and pursue in this field. There's A LOT of money to be made.
Advertisement

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 04-08-2014 at 03:13 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #252
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Bumped into a friend of mine who was doing some welding related courses and stuff at the same time as me a while back. Got to talking about what we were up to, he mentioned he spent about 3 months up in Ft.Mac, made enough money, now he has his own welding rig all setup and he travels in and out of FSJ and some other BC industrial sites in the comfort of his own vehicle, has all his own tools with him, can mobe and demobe in a matter of hours.

He just started contracting out like this and is already making 15k a month. Albeit you guys have to understand he works 25 days out of a month, has his rig expenses to pay as well as insurance, and even years ago when I knew him, he was one of the best welders I knew. But still if I were to ever go back to the tools thats the route that I would go. Nothing beats having your own welding machine and tools with you, and if shit ever gets ugly, you can just drive off into the sunset.

EDIT: Wow just reading through this thread, more industrial workers on RS than I thought. Catching up on this thread, and i'm reading a lot of familiar job sites. Good to see more people not afraid to stray from the pack and pursue in this field. There's A LOT of money to be made.
I know tradesmen in Vancouver who make that much. (if they have their own company and chase contracts)

It's just easy to do upnorth if you have a low level skill.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
I know tradesmen in Vancouver who make that much. (if they have their own company and chase contracts)

It's just easy to do upnorth if you have a low level skill.
Yes and No. Depends on your trade, and depends on what type of sites you are working on.

Certainly going to be hard when you are starting out like this Gentlemen was (he had literally only been up one turnaround).

Also his Rig was only doing Structural welds due to a lapse in Pressure welding certification. As soon as he gets that certification again (which he just as to re-apply and weld a test coupon). He will move on from this current job and I am sure in no time we will be well above 30k a month.

Unfortunately just starting out, you don't really get the pick of a lot of jobs, so you may get stuck going to a few lower paying jobs, until you meet some people and get your name out there a bit.

But still 15+ thousand a month is good income. Especially considering that after less than a year he will be be at the very least 30k a month, and after that the sky is the limit. There are numerous welders operating on their own rigs, some even employ a helper and can make upwards of 40K a month.

(and for that matter I know a few tradespeople with their own companies in vancouver who make 100k a month, its just highly uncommon)

Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #254

It's not as uncommon as you think., They just dont flaunt their money. If a tradesman has the capabilities to hire 3-4 employees he's doing pretty damn well for himself without living int he sticks and working 45 days straight.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
They just dont flaunt their money.
LOLWUT? have you been to any job sites? Even the first year apprentices have lifted diesel 1 tons. And toolboxes that stretch into the 10's of thousands.

For every 1 humble tradesperson, there is 9 knuckle draggers who make 300k a year a still live paycheque to paycheque.

EDIT: Also the individual I know operates 25 vehicles and employees some 30 odd trades people and apprentices at any given time.

Again, you can make millions anywhere, but if you two people have the same skills and opportunities, the one up north will out earn the guy in vancouver 3 fold.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #256
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

anybody looking for work id recommend applying to jvdriver. thats where i work. cash flow is disgusting too , in a good way. also paid flights. 14/7 shift. they build entire sites up north so whatever trade you may be i'd recommend you apply.
if you want an idea of the money you can make im 21 and have a ford raptor.
just thought id chime in. cheers guys.
sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbox View Post
anybody looking for work id recommend applying to jvdriver. thats where i work. cash flow is disgusting too , in a good way. also paid flights. 14/7 shift. they build entire sites up north so whatever trade you may be i'd recommend you apply.
if you want an idea of the money you can make im 21 and have a ford raptor.
just thought id chime in. cheers guys.
Where are you working with them?

I heard JVDriver just recently got kicked off site at Highland Valley copper for safety issues.

Funny because I was supposed to be on that job.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #258
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Where are you working with them?

I heard JVDriver just recently got kicked off site at Highland Valley copper for safety issues.

Funny because I was supposed to be on that job.
that's a load of crap. hvc job ended because it was done. i was at that job. not to say jv is perfect but they did not get kicked off for safety issues.

i was on nights and was laid off in january like the entire night shift, job lasted for another 2-3 weeks and the skeleton crew left on days was then laid off.

/currently in cold lake at a jv job
Old 04-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Karl View Post
that's a load of crap. hvc job ended because it was done. i was at that job. not to say jv is perfect but they did not get kicked off for safety issues.

i was on nights and was laid off in january like the entire night shift, job lasted for another 2-3 weeks and the skeleton crew left on days was then laid off.

/currently in cold lake at a jv job
I didn't say there was much more behind that than a rumour. I just hear these things through the grapevine.

I assume you are LOA at cold lake? Whats the rate?

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 PM   #260
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Any engineers working in Alberta on RS?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #261
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Anybody a Welder? Need a hookup for a job.

My job search is flat lining hard.

Camp preferred. Unless it's in the lower mainland.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #262
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
Any engineers working in Alberta on RS?
I'm not an engineer, but did spend a few years supervising engineers in Ft.Mac. If you have any specific questions I might be able to give you some insight.

No longer in the Mac, now I work DT Edmonton in ballin' corner office next to the flavoured coffee machine, I get to watch all the office sluts make chai latte's all day while my pants become ever tighter due to my all-red-meat diet and throbbing erections. #justice

Lol @ JV Drivers #SafetySchmafety
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Anybody a Welder? Need a hookup for a job.

My job search is flat lining hard.

Camp preferred. Unless it's in the lower mainland.
C-level? B-Level?

Stainless? Carbon Steel?

Pressure tickets? or just CWB?

SMAW? GTAW? GMAW?

We need to know what you can do before we offer you jobs.

If you can weld pipe, either carbon or stainless PM me, I know a few companies that recently were awarded contracts.

Also ever thought about getting ASME certified? If you have your B-level, I highly suggest getting your inspection certificate. Being able to inspect to CSA Z47.1/ASME B31.3, is a license to print your own money in BC and AB.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #264

Quote:
C-level? B-Level?
Also ever thought about getting ASME certified? If you have your B-level, I highly suggest getting your inspection certificate. Being able to inspect to CSA Z47.1/ASME B31.3, is a license to print your own money in BC and AB.
Good luck getting an entry level job in inspection/qc, that market is so flooded with people wanting to join the gravy train it's crazy. You pretty much need a great collection of tickets and a stellar resume, or be related to someone to have any chance of getting hired. Typiclly the entire spread is already full of people "wanting to move into QC", so it's tough.

Mind you, could always just get lucky!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Good luck getting an entry level job in inspection/qc, that market is so flooded with people wanting to join the gravy train it's crazy. You pretty much need a great collection of tickets and a stellar resume, or be related to someone to have any chance of getting hired. Typiclly the entire spread is already full of people "wanting to move into QC", so it's tough.

Mind you, could always just get lucky!
If you actually have your welding ticket, and then move into QC you have an enormous advantage over the other 90% of idiots who just studied B31.3 and went and passed a test. A lot of those guys get run off job after job cause they have no idea wtf they are talking about when it comes to actually telling a welder whats going on.

They have the technical knowledge, but not the practical application.

I would take a b-level welder who is fresh on the inspection side, rather than most inspectors with no welding experience.

My justification of that is how can you tell someone how to do their job if you have never done it?

Either way though even if I was only looking for welders having that inspection ticket is a huge bonus, and its just one more thing to make you that much more valuable to any potential employer.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #266

Quote:
If you actually have your welding ticket, and then move into QC you have an enormous advantage over the other 90% of idiots who just studied B31.3 and went and passed a test. A lot of those guys get run off job after job cause they have no idea wtf they are talking about when it comes to actually telling a welder whats going on.

They have the technical knowledge, but not the practical application.

I would take a b-level welder who is fresh on the inspection side, rather than most inspectors with no welding experience.

My justification of that is how can you tell someone how to do their job if you have never done it?

Either way though even if I was only looking for welders having that inspection ticket is a huge bonus, and its just one more thing to make you that much more valuable to any potential employer.
Well, unfortunatly,when it comes to any modern quality system, a welder typically is not well equipped for the job of inspector/QC.

Sure he will be able to perform in-process welding inspections and visual inspection of completed welds, but thats probably less than 5% of how inspectors/qc's spend their time.

Being an inspetor you don't need to tell a welder how to do their job, you only need to tell them whether or not they meet any speific acceptance criteria, whether it's a welding procedure, or the visual acceptance criteria of B31.3 etc. It's no my job to tell you how to watch your keyhole and whip your rod etc.

The best QC guys I hired were typically pipefitters or EIT's, they learn much faster, usually don't have shitty "I'm worth 100$/hour to look at welds" attitudes, and can actually use a computer and do math.

Most welders don't understand a WPS, most QC guys don't either, it's an industry full of retards.

Having said all that, I completely encrouage people to always strive for personal improvement, even if you never get to use XX ticket, you will still learn a lot in the process of getting it. It' just a lot harder to break into the industry now.

(If this is full of typo's I'm sorry, my work DELL keyboard i falling apart.)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #267
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
I'm not an engineer, but did spend a few years supervising engineers in Ft.Mac. If you have any specific questions I might be able to give you some insight.

No longer in the Mac, now I work DT Edmonton in ballin' corner office next to the flavoured coffee machine, I get to watch all the office sluts make chai latte's all day while my pants become ever tighter due to my all-red-meat diet and throbbing erections. #justice

Is it even possible to get into the energy industry as an EIT (Engineer in Training) who graduated from Vancouver. I hear HR in any company usually won't even look at your resume if the header doesn't have a local adrdress.

TIA!
Posted via RS Mobile
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #268

Quote:
Well, unfortunatly,when it comes to any modern quality system, a welder typically is not well equipped for the job of inspector/QC.

Sure he will be able to perform in-process welding inspections and visual inspection of completed welds, but thats probably less than 5% of how inspectors/qc's spend their time.

Being an inspetor you don't need to tell a welder how to do their job, you only need to tell them whether or not they meet any speific acceptance criteria, whether it's a welding procedure, or the visual acceptance criteria of B31.3 etc. It's no my job to tell you how to watch your keyhole and whip your rod etc.

The best QC guys I hired were typically pipefitters or EIT's, they learn much faster, usually don't have shitty "I'm worth 100$/hour to look at welds" attitudes, and can actually use a computer and do math.

Most welders don't understand a WPS, most QC guys don't either, it's an industry full of retards.

Having said all that, I completely encrouage people to always strive for personal improvement, even if you never get to use XX ticket, you will still learn a lot in the process of getting it. It' just a lot harder to break into the industry now.

(If this is full of typo's I'm sorry, my work DELL keyboard i falling apart.)
Well I went on the basis that given that Spugen is on a computer and interacting with us (and he is a moderator), he atleast has the basics down of technology down. So the documentation aspect of QC will not be a difficult thing to understand and incorporate into his daily tasks.

The best way I have found it to work (this is given a large enough job, where the QC team can be 5+ members for a long period of time), I have inspectors and I have support for those inspectors.

My manager will be a profficient and skilled inspector but also someone who is very familiar with the documentation and other aspects, then I have 3 inspectors (the best of which is my managers cross shift). Along side those inspectors I usually have two EIT's or computer savvy younger individuals who are eager to learn and take on different work.

After the second or third job using this system I have a good base of EIT's who have a handle on the QC requirements (some of which even pick up their inspection certificates between jobs). And I can utilize them comfortably moving forward on any job, inspectors as just inspectors are as you state a dime a dozen. It ain't hard to go out look at a weld and see if its good or not, as long as they don't have a high and mighty attitude and can empathize how frustrating it can be to hear you have to tear out a 20 inch weld and redo it they should be fine.

EDIT: its funny how you specifically stated how its not the inspectors responsibility to tell a welder how to whip their their rod. I am currently dealing with a massive problem of stray arcs, its amazing how so many people do not understand the underlying danger. Its infuriating to walk out and see 1 or 2 stray arcs beside every other weld. I watched a welder connect with the pipe when he was welding in the shop on rollers. I was flabbergasted at the carelessness. I felt like grabbing his stinger and punching it through his fucking head.

The other one thats unbelievably annoying is the amount of 7018 rod I am confiscating off of sites because idiots don't use rod ovens. I am losing thousands of dollars a week from welding rod being contaminated.

Last edited by meme405; 04-16-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #269
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Anybody got any hookups for Class 1 jobs? Have oilfield experience (Roughneck). Just on break up and figured I would get my Class 1 and give it a shot as I can make the same money and not completely destroy my back in 2 years.

Thinking of trying to get into winch trucks, possibly semi vac, pick truck would be amazing, etc.

edit: I've also got a business degree, lots of leadership training and can fly planes and shit.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #270
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
sanjel, cascade, big eagle ^
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #271
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
C-level? B-Level?

Stainless? Carbon Steel?

Pressure tickets? or just CWB?

SMAW? GTAW? GMAW?

We need to know what you can do before we offer you jobs.

If you can weld pipe, either carbon or stainless PM me, I know a few companies that recently were awarded contracts.

pm'd
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #272
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

loa in cold lake is 120. rent is about a 1k a month give or take a bit. i'm paying a bit on the high side at 1150/month splitting a basement suite with a buddy but that's including everything and i'm in a new house, new furnishings etc.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #273

got some leads if anyone is a heavy equipment operator (hoe hand)

I think 300-400 a day.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #274
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:

Im an electrical engineer with 2-3 years of experience, ive been applying to many jobs in alberta but still no luck, i really wanna move out of vancouver , hows the market there for young engineers?
zizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #275

Just finished my second turn around at JV Driver in Cold Lake. Decent outfit for work, and a big job coming up soon, so nice to have some job security in construction. Bumped to Foreman in a week from when I started.
Posted via RS Mobile
CRX SiR is offline   Reply With Quote