REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 05-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #301
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I don't know if it's really that easy getting a job as a haul truck operator, make a fake resume up with the qualifications and no experience and see how many calls you get. Then make another fake resume with some experience and see how many calls you get.

At least determine your chances of getting hired before you spend any money... there is a lot of "outreach" programs giving locals priority, especially young women and natives (I'm all for that btw). This is a job that is attractive to the entire uneducated Canadian labor market.. so be warned that competitive entry is not an exaggeration.

IMO, Ft Mac is very clicky.
My friend got a job fresh out of driving school. I worked with him for a while in retail before he left to work for his native band. I'm not sure what role his ethnicity played, but he seems to be enjoying it judging from his Facebook posts.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #302
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
How the Fuck do I get into a Ft Mac job?
Welder.

Been cold calling and emailing a bunch of places, but I'm not getting a SINGLE reply.

C Ticketed, Just did my B last summer.
Van Local places want to pay me $16., so I'm kindly telling them to fuck right off.

Worked on the Fresh Water tunnel in NVan, and was the only one to get laid off because I wasn't "producing" I'm calling BS, because I was doing 30lbs of wire in 3 hours, and was sent to fit pipes for the rest of it. Other guys were only doing 40lbs in 12 hours. Only found out recently that I was the only one getting paid hourly(35)+OT. While other guys were getting the same + $ Per Pound.

Fuck Dean's Welding.

Also noticing alot of dogshit lazy as fuck welders getting hired + Paid well, while I bust my ass off and still get laid off.
Starting to think its a race thing...
When I did my red seal after i finished my A level back in 09, you needed 5400 hours to challenge the interprovincial.

Once you have the IP immediately go and test for your BCP-100 at one of the local tech schools, and get it converted into an alberta B through ABSA.

The only certifications alberta employers essentially care about are CWB all position stick/flux core certs and the alberta B pressure, otherwise it will be difficult to get employment as anything other than a helper/fitter apprentice etc.

488 pipefitters and 146 boilermakers are always looking for guys with the alberta B, especially if youre skilled in the exotics ie Inconel, Stainless, Chrome, Duplex etc.

Ive worked in the edmonton/fort mac region for the last 5 years, welding/pipefitting/boilermaking in upgrading/extraction/steam power generation...

Last edited by darnold; 05-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2014, 04:55 AM   #303
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
I am a journeyman construction electrician, soon to have my class B FSR... My experience is mostly in ridiculously high-end residential. No industrial experience, very little commercial experience.

Do you guys think it's possible for me to find a good job in fort mac? I would do it, but I think my experience holds me back. Industrial and commercial are completely different from residential... and I don't have a clue as to how much more residential would make over there. I know industrial guys up there make good coin.

Vancouver is an expensive city to live in with much lower pay than other cities. If I could get away and make some money for a few years that would be great, but I'm not sure if my trade and experience would apply to somewhere like fort mac.
industrial is easy for sparkys. you pull cable, build tray and occasionally terminate. that.is.it.

the only real problem for j-men without industrial experience is they think it's all go go go and they bring a commercial mentality to industrial. that will get you fired or clowned. industrial is slow. there is zero reward for taking the initiative and step on the wrong toes and you will get fired or you'll be pushing a broom.

lots of jmen up here don't seem to understand your ticket doesn't mean shit. you pull cable just like a 1st year and if you bitch, you will get destroyed by your crew. treat people like shit and the entire crew will destroy you.

jmen in the city think apprentices are slaves. if you have that attitude don't even bother. it's not like apprentices gang up on jmen, even foremen, general foremen, site supers will bust your ass and grind you into the ground if you lack people skills and think your ticket = superiority.

i've seen it. i've done it as an apprentice. if you just get along with folks, do as you're told and don't cry about stuff that "apprentices should be doing" or "this is how i do it, therefore this is how everyone should do it"
then you'll do fine and make more money then you can imagine. 10k a month take home easily including your live out.

they hire electricians with zero industrial experience all the time. every crew i've ever been on has had commercial/residential jmen on our crew as their first industrial gig.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #304
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Well looks like I'm heading back up to the patch in a bit here as break up is coming to an end, did my Class 1 on my time off.

Going up to work with STEPS Energy Services on one of their fluid pump trucks as a Pumping Services Operator 2. Company seems to be growing and lots of movement within the ranks, should move up a couple steps during the season. Back to being rich yaaay.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #305
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Good luck getting an entry level job in inspection/qc, that market is so flooded with people wanting to join the gravy train it's crazy. You pretty much need a great collection of tickets and a stellar resume, or be related to someone to have any chance of getting hired. Typiclly the entire spread is already full of people "wanting to move into QC", so it's tough.

Mind you, could always just get lucky!
No kidding probably a quarter of the guys ive worked with have their level 1, which is a cakewalk for most any B welder/experienced pipefitter.

QC in fort mac is full of guys without a clue/any related trade experience that had a good contact.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #306
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Is it hard to get an IT job up in Fort Mac without any experience? I'm a recent grad and was hoping to jump-start my career there
FOREVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #307
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
If you're young, single, can avoid the drugs, prostitutes & bank savings up there I say go for it. Save enough $ to come back ahead of the game and get into a house here would be how I would go about it.

Essentially, Ft Mac would be a means to an end with the ultimate goal of being able to comfortably afford real estate and enjoy everything BC has to offer. My dad did this successfully in the 80's. SO glad he decided to move back here after working at Syncrude for several years.

BC ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:20 AM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
If you're young, single, can avoid the drugs, prostitutes & bank savings up there I say go for it. Save enough $ to come back ahead of the game and get into a house here would be how I would go about it.

Essentially, Ft Mac would be a means to an end with the ultimate goal of being able to comfortably afford real estate and enjoy everything BC has to offer. My dad did this successfully in the 80's. SO glad he decided to move back here after working at Syncrude for several years.

BC ftw
That fits me well and that was my goal. Work in fort mac for about 2 years come back. Thing is, when I'm looking at the jobs available there. They all require "work experience" which is :/ since I don't have any atm
Old 06-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #309
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts

You just have to get your foot in the door somewhere (doesn't have to be Fort Mac). Keep looking and stay positive.

Last edited by Jmac; 06-22-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #310

Thanks for the insight
Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #311
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
What do you mean by IT? There are computer related jobs up here but I would recommend looking into distributed control systems for field related work. I would recommend Edmonton, cost of living is cheaper and they have princess auto.
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #312

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
All jobs will say they want previous experience. Doesn't mean jack shit, start firing off resumes and FOLLOW UP with whoever you send resumes to, that's the biggest one; give them a call a few days later.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #313

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
All jobs will say they want previous experience. Doesn't mean jack shit, start firing off resumes and FOLLOW UP with whoever you send resumes to, that's the biggest one; give them a call a few days later.

So true. COMPLETELY unrelated field/company etc but i was talking to HR the other day and they were saying that unless they receive a professional followup within 48 hours of an interview, chances are they get "deleted" from the list, or tossed to the bottom of said "list".

Followup is very important.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #314
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thought I'd bump this up.

Anyone currently residing at the Mac? I got into school for Power Engineering up there and start next Monday.
thegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote