REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
what about the Massey Tunnel? any plans for that yet or is it all still talk?

Advertisement
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Try working in a trades job, a trucking company or any other position that requires you to drive around the Lower Mainland for a living and then say that.

Otherwise shut up.
Competition is stiff, but sooner or later, surcharges have to be passed onto the client? I mean, shipping companies and airlines have passed on fuel surcharges onto consumers for years and people still fly and ship packages.

Besides, trucking companies, tradespeople, and business people represent a minority in terms of overall traffic. The vast majority of drivers on the roads today are people going to and from work, school, the store, etc. These people have choices. We've been avoiding the true cost of driving until now.

But of course, the counter argument is that if we could only fire every bloodsucking politician and bureaucrat, we could save hundreds of millions to build the bridge for free...
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
New west has to be the most depressing area of vancouver.
Actually, just spent the evening here....doesn't look too depressing to me.

NewWestminster-WaterfrontPark01.jpg

Pier.jpg
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Honestly all talk not even formal planning yet.

Don't forget Vancouver and Surrey will also be fighting over skytrain lines too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
what about the Massey Tunnel? any plans for that yet or is it all still talk?

Workday Massey Tunnel Traffic - YouTube
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Haven't read these articles yet, but I'm curious if any of the options included an idea I heard someone float a few years ago (I think around the time that one section of bridge burned and the whole "replacement" debate flared up again): get funding input from CN Rail and Port Metro Vancouver, and include a new rail crossing with the new bridge. Rail right now is served by a swing bridge that is a hindrance to river navigation (and a hazard, as we've seen every few years when a boat or barge hits the bridge), and of course, opening the bridge for river traffic is a hindrance to rail traffic. Both entities would benefit from having a high-level rail link built into a new bridge, and the old bridge removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

All people do is whine about tolls and taxes. There are so many alternatives to driving.
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #32
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think no matter where the rail bridge is located up and down Coq / New West, the rail that is north and the yard will still be there. I just don't see the advantage of having an all in one bridge would really have.

Since Coq and New West don't like one another / work with each other already.. more players means bigger the cluster mess.

BTW the bridge belongs to BNSF not CN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Haven't read these articles yet, but I'm curious if any of the options included an idea I heard someone float a few years ago (I think around the time that one section of bridge burned and the whole "replacement" debate flared up again): get funding input from CN Rail and Port Metro Vancouver, and include a new rail crossing with the new bridge. Rail right now is served by a swing bridge that is a hindrance to river navigation (and a hazard, as we've seen every few years when a boat or barge hits the bridge), and of course, opening the bridge for river traffic is a hindrance to rail traffic. Both entities would benefit from having a high-level rail link built into a new bridge, and the old bridge removed.

Last edited by godwin; 06-03-2013 at 10:38 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Since Coq and New West don't like one another / work with each other already.. more players means bigger the cluster mess.
This is seriously one of the most annoying things....Braid is a disaster because of it and both need to put their big boy pants on and figure shit out!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #34
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm loosing $1500 a year because I live in Surrey and I find it very frustrating. I think every bridge should be tolled but have it a small amount $.50 then they would get overall more more money and it would be more fair since everyone does use the roads. How is targeting one ground of people fair since most of the time they are taking those routes to go to work which is helping this BC economy grow.
you're right.. should just raise the gas tax the gov puts on already but on a serious note, honestly I don't know wth they do with the money that comes in for their "carbon tax" on the gas so really I wouldn't feel so bad if they just scraped it and made the same amount for a toll. Yes gas prices are high but we've clearly learned to live with them regardless of what the price has been, the amount that would be raised for the toll would be huge , lower the tolls on the bridges like you said to .50 cents each way or something and they would pay off them bridges pronto
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
All people do is whine about tolls and taxes. There are so many alternatives to driving.
Nothing that I consider fast enough / convenient enough to want to leave the comfort of my own car though. You might like smelling the shit on buses and skytrains from people that use it late at night and puke on it when they come home from clubbing and stuff but I personally do not
Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #36

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurochevy View Post
Nothing that I consider fast enough / convenient enough to want to leave the comfort of my own car though. You might like smelling the shit on buses and skytrains from people that use it late at night and puke on it when they come home from clubbing and stuff but I personally do not
Having a car is a luxury. If you can't afford it then you have to deal with it.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #37
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
And thats exactly it, you have to deal with what there is. If I had to of course I would take public transit, but while I can afford a car. This government / Transit system gives me no reason to switch...Which is might I add exactly what they expect vancouverites to do , jump for joy that they give us biking and walking
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #38
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

i live in new west and work in surrey. i take pattullo every day to and from work. its not bad going south before 7AM.
i thought about being "green" and taking transit since its only 5 stations away. Since Id get on at Columbia, id have to pay for 2 zone monthly pass $124. it takes me 10 mins to drive over the bridge in the mornings and 25 mins by transit. On the way back it takes me 20-30 mins driving due to traffic. Even with a new bridge toll at $3 each way, id pay $120 a month to cross and still have the convenience of having a vehicle. The point im trying to make is, translink is not making it easy for me to make that choice to switch because at the end id be paying the same thing.

(i realize im not considering the cost of gas, but being dry, warm, and have mobility outweighs the cost).
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #39
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Actually, just spent the evening here....doesn't look too depressing to me.

Attachment 17306

Attachment 17307
yeah, until you realize its just a copy of the DTES.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #40
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
yeah, until you realize its just a copy of the DTES.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #41
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

Fuck T(r)olls.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #42
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
It's not for people that are working and or have family's.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 AM   #43
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingMetro92 View Post
You'd eat $4-6 a day on a toll just to get home? If buses aren't feasible to your workplace, and you make around 15-16 an hour good luck trying to make a living.

Supply and demand.

You demand a place out in the boonies, because of reasons A, B and C?
Then the market dictates J, K and L.

You want cheap housing, home ownership AND a painless commute?
Life doesn't work that way.
How's that saying go?
Fast, Cheap or Done Well. Pick 2.

Don't bitch and complain about where you choose to live and where you choose to work AND your commute.
Pick 2, take the 3rd and suck it up princess.

I want a short commute and cheap transit and I only look for jobs in the city.
This means I stay in Burnaby/Vancouver and rent.

What gives you the right to complain?

It's like people living in the Downtown Eastside and refusing to leave.
Or forcing the city to legislate low income housing in prime real estate areas.
You can have it cheap, or you can leave.

It's simple economics.

p.s.

Having a family IS a luxury.
If you can't afford a family and a good spacious home for the kids with a yard.
Don't have a fucking family.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #44
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Supply and demand.

You demand a place out in the boonies, because of reasons A, B and C?
Then the market dictates J, K and L.

You want cheap housing, home ownership AND a painless commute?
Life doesn't work that way.
How's that saying go?
Fast, Cheap or Done Well. Pick 2.

Don't bitch and complain about where you choose to live and where you choose to work AND your commute.
Pick 2, take the 3rd and suck it up princess.

I want a short commute and cheap transit and I only look for jobs in the city.
This means I stay in Burnaby/Vancouver and rent.

What gives you the right to complain?

It's like people living in the Downtown Eastside and refusing to leave.
Or forcing the city to legislate low income housing in prime real estate areas.
You can have it cheap, or you can leave.

It's simple economics.
Put it this way, if transit in Surrey was actually decent despite differences in population density compared to Vancouver, there would be more incentive to take transit in Surrey. As it stands, there's a severe lack of service in areas that have experienced rapid growth in the last five years, and it forces people to drive. Langley has been chomping at the bit for a service increase, and South Surrey has a lot more people moving in, and both places still have the same service levels before they started developing. High demand, low supply, yet I hear no complaints about transit service in Vancouver/Burnaby because service is frequent, easily accessible, and more importantly is fundamentally cheap being one transit zone.

Tolling the two main options leaving Surrey for Vancouver is far from fair, and I do agree with placing smaller-cost tolls on all bridges. Now, if a replacement does happen, think about the absolute gong show that will happen at the Alex Fraser bridge, as if it isn't bad enough already.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #45
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Having a family IS a luxury.
If you can't afford a family and a good spacious home for the kids with a yard.
Don't have a fucking family.

If having a family this day and age considered a luxury then we live in a sad sad era. If you don't have family what do you actually have? Life is about family and with out that I don't truly see the point.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Translink seriously still has their head up their own ass.

-Putting a 4 lane bridge into the Braid area would be a HUGE fuck up. That place can barely handle traffic already. Bringing another 75k cars/day into that area would be a nightmare.

-Hmm okay well lets spend $300-$400 million on making Patullo a "safer" 3 or 4 lane bridge. Well, you guys just said that the bridge isn't seismically sound.

-A bridge down from Queensborough, and making the Patullo a 2/3 lane bridge... again

Best option? Replace the goddamn Patullo with a 6 lane bridge. Make better connections to Front street for commercial traffic so it "eases" the terrible strain New West has.. (<--- sarcasm) and lets fix this fucking issue the first time.

To be honest, I'd rather just fucking scrap the whole idea, and take this $1 billion dollars, and extend the Expo line down Fraser Hwy so there is easier access from the boonies to DT.
This option could potentially make lots of people happy as: boonies have a connection to DT, less traffic IF people decide to use skytrain, less congestion over the Patullo as more people have skytrain access.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #47
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
the only transit i dont mind is skytrain, ive lived in surrey/langley my whole life, never close to a skytrain, that shit needs to be extended! i would easily take a skytrain from langley/south surrey into van rather than driving.

that being said, personally i dont mind the tolls much because i dont drive over the bridge unless i have to. in that case im happier getting over a bridge in under a minute rather than 25 mins just waiting to get onto the old PortMann, not sure how many of you guys remember sitting in that traffic but it was not fun.

Time=money, if i save 30 mins of my life i see that as some sort of value.

again, i dont take the bridge daily so i dont know the pain of $100+ a month in tolls.
just speaking from my experience
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #48
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Fuck New West.
I don't know I'm grateful for New West sure it's a shit hole but what do you expect? it's at the front lines keeping a bottleneck on Surrey

It's like the Wall that keeps the wildlings out its a sad decrepit place and no one wants to be there but someone has to be at the front lines

Quote:
"New Westminster is the only thing standing between the realm and what lies beyond and it has become an army of undisciplined boys and tired old men.

You came to us as outlaws, poachers, rapers, killers, thieves. You came alone, in chains, without friends or honor. You came to us rich and you came to us poor. Some of you bear the names of proud Houses, others only bastard names or no names at all. It does not matter. All that is in the past. Here on the Wall we are all one House, New Westminster!

a bit much i know but whatever
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #49
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
New West is so awesome
Young Offender with Close to 50 Police Contacts Arrested for Assault with a Knife and Theft

Haters gonna hate.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurochevy View Post
Its not as bad as you think. I use to drive from white rock to downtown everyday for the last 3 years until I recently switch to transit. It was actuall faster for me to take transit and less stressful than driving on the road with unpredictable traffic, idiot drivers and expensive gas. I just on the bus ,relax, read my business emails, listen to musjc play with smartphone or even take a nap. I also bike to nearest park and ride or skytrain so I get a bit of a workout aswell..our transit system is not that bad.
Posted via RS Mobile
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: