REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Guys...I get it. New West has a bad rep.

I first set foot in BC during xmas of...1998? Yes, and I moved out in september of 1999. On the way to my sister's place, we drove through New West. So New West in the 90's was kind of, um, well, at the bottom of its prime.

But I'll tell you, back in 1998...I loved it. I still to this day love Columbia Street. In the time since, I actually stopped the car and looked around and loved it even more. The houses are beautiful. The history of the area is deep, complex and actually real. Real shit, during real times happened...right here.

I moved here in 2005, after having lived in Abbotsford, East Van, Burnaby and East Van again. And I finally felt like I could stop moving around. The changes since 1998 have been great, but on a timeline since 2005? Insane.

I've spent a lot of time downtown, and I'll tell you...its nice. Yeah its nice. No one can deny its nice. But it doesn't do it for me. Anyone can mow down a city and build a new one. We can make all the buildings look kind of the same, and have height restrictions and price out the trash and call it a day.

It's nice, but I'd never choose to live there.

Why does Vancouver still have a DTES problem? Because they don't know how to solve it. And their ideas on solving it are based on wanting to give people what they themselves want...condos. We're gonna build you a house. And you'll be happy and stop doing drugs. And your neighborhood will be pretty to drive through for us.

And they'll do that, because that is all they know how to do! They have been doing that since..1980? The build up to Expo started the influx of people and the building out of the city. And it slowed down, and sped back up but never stopped.

If its old, kill it with wrecking balls.

Personally, I'll take the NW approach...combine them together that has an inclusive city, that is pretty and eclectic.

It's what I liked in 1998, and its what I like today.

And, let me be clear here...I don't, nor does anyone around here live in anything close to comparable to the DTES.

Trust me...we have some fucking problems. Some of them a little closer to us than I'd prefer. This is all theory on my part, and nothing based on even the smallest inkling of research:

Current events: There is a lot of construction happening in what used to be the New West version of hastings and main...8th and columbia. There was a hotel purchased to function as low income housing to incorporate some people back into society, and then 'we' started rehabbing the area. Very tastfully done...you can still recognize elements all around the area, but its clean and pretty. The final move will be the old Keg location in the train station. Hopefully it can be salvaged.

What's happened is we no longer have that area as a lightening rod for activity. So they dispersed.

At the same time, a LOT of the rentals in the city are being rehabbed(to various degrees) but a lot are of the caliber of our main building and going "all in" on just completely redoing the building.

Why is this happening?

Because there are more and more good, hard working semi-professional people that are landing in New West. And there is strength in numbers. And the old crew used to put up with the trash in the middle of the night screaming to each other behind a dumpster, but the new guard won't. And I see it happening. A building starts the work, you hear the saws, you see the trucks. Then the construction crew is replaced with a moving crew. The furniture going out is hand me downs from salvation army, and the furniture going in is brand new.

And its building after building.

So the New West of old is NOT the New West of today.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #52
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
it's not like new west is some far off land...it's closer and more in the way than surrey, we know what its like there...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #53
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Sold effort dukes!

Quote:
A 14 year old Coquitlam youth was arrested early Sunday morning, May 26, 2013, by Transit Police following an incident involving an assault with a knife and the theft of a briefcase.

The incident took place at approximately 10 pm the previous evening at the bus stop outside the Braid SkyTrain Station in New Westminster.
So a person that isn't from New West commits a crime on crime train, one station into New West...and its a New West problem...

Nice. The logic is strong with this one.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
We need a new bridge so the coal trucks from Burnaby have easier access to the Fraser Surrey Docks!

Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #55
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,576 Times in 4,294 Posts
Every city has its good and bad parts. I find it funny how people talk smack about someones home when they truely don't know how it is. I have lived in Surrey (Fleetwood) for 25yrs. It's nice and laid back with some crime but every place deals with those exact issues.

I don't understand why a topic about a bridge replacment has to bring up how crappy a city is by someone they doesn't deserve a point of view since they only take the bridge a couple times a year.

It's not about which city is better it's about what is best for everyone which right now isn't working what so ever.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #56
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
We need a new bridge so the coal trucks from Burnaby have easier access to the Fraser Surrey Docks!

Spoiler!
Fucking hell, I was waiting for this.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #57
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Every city has its good and bad parts. I find it funny how people talk smack about someones home when they truely don't know how it is. I have lived in Surrey (Fleetwood) for 25yrs. It's nice and laid back with some crime but every place deals with those exact issues.

I don't understand why a topic about a bridge replacment has to bring up how crappy a city is by someone they doesn't deserve a point of view since they only take the bridge a couple times a year.

It's not about which city is better it's about what is best for everyone which right now isn't working what so ever.
Because RS.

And, because the majority of people who do this in everything thread have no concept of life outside the walls of their parents' house or outside of Richmond.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #58
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

I'm with you! Why does Surrey exist?

Because people wanted some place to live. We needed a place to actually place industry, as its quite apparent that Vancouver isn't really interested in 'industry' anymore.

And if no one else has noticed that while it used to be a heavy flow of cars into Vancouver, the tide has turned. Sure there are a lot of workers that flood into Vancouver's larger business areas(broadway and dt) but there are a lot of people that are sleeping in Vancouver and working elsewhere.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #59
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Because RS.

And, because the majority of people who do this in everything thread have no concept of life outside the walls of their parents' house or outside of Richmond.
harsh, but true.

It's not hard to pick out the folks that are all talk, from the ones that write checks.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #60
Banned By Establishment

Vancouver+burnaby+coquitlam are gonna be up in arms over this. No one wants more traffic from surrey.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #61
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
Vancouver+burnaby+coquitlam are gonna be up in arms over this. No one wants more traffic from surrey.
Posted via RS Mobile
You do know there is already is an existing bridge, right?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #62
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,491 Posts
Quote:
Because RS.

serious though, i got a chuckle from that, thanks.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #63
Banned By Establishment

Bigger bridge=more capacity=more cars.

You can never solve the problem of traffic with more capacity. Cannot win it. This argument was made with the port mann project. It's all pretty now, lanes galore. It will drive more growth in Langley, and those people will drive the bridge and be more cars on it. Eventually, you will have more gridlock(haha) as pure volume than you had before. It's not hard to see where the new bottlenecks are.

So you replace the Patullo with a 6 lane bridge, because hey! it makes sense right?

So then, we need 6 lanes of road coming off the bridge. One peels off to go to Columbia in either direction, and 2 need to be blasted through McBride to feed through into the middle of the city. So now McBride is a highway. It kind of is now, but not really. If memory serves its 2 lanes into New West from the bridge, and 1 lane onto the bridge, with one lane on from Royal.

More people will drive down Royal, because hey! There's a bridge there. So we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. If there is a free bridge, we get gridlock(hehe) because of toll evasion. Equally priced bridge, we get traffic because we might as well use it. More expensive toll? The locals get fucked at the expense of commuters.

And when you change the equilibrium, you push the bottleneck to another location.

The planners knew that by doing the port mann, there was going to be increased problems at the tunnel, on the clear other end of town!

You will never win.

We are a city, with rivers and water. It's never going to be pretty in terms of traffic. Never. In the middle of land, you can have ring roads, and 50 highways leading in and out.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #64
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Bigger bridge=more capacity=more cars.

You can never solve the problem of traffic with more capacity. Cannot win it. This argument was made with the port mann project. It's all pretty now, lanes galore. It will drive more growth in Langley, and those people will drive the bridge and be more cars on it. Eventually, you will have more gridlock(haha) as pure volume than you had before. It's not hard to see where the new bottlenecks are.

So you replace the Patullo with a 6 lane bridge, because hey! it makes sense right?

So then, we need 6 lanes of road coming off the bridge. One peels off to go to Columbia in either direction, and 2 need to be blasted through McBride to feed through into the middle of the city. So now McBride is a highway. It kind of is now, but not really. If memory serves its 2 lanes into New West from the bridge, and 1 lane onto the bridge, with one lane on from Royal.

More people will drive down Royal, because hey! There's a bridge there. So we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. If there is a free bridge, we get gridlock(hehe) because of toll evasion. Equally priced bridge, we get traffic because we might as well use it. More expensive toll? The locals get fucked at the expense of commuters.

And when you change the equilibrium, you push the bottleneck to another location.

The planners knew that by doing the port mann, there was going to be increased problems at the tunnel, on the clear other end of town!

You will never win.

We are a city, with rivers and water. It's never going to be pretty in terms of traffic. Never. In the middle of land, you can have ring roads, and 50 highways leading in and out.
Exactly. It is people that drive cities forward, not car.

Here's an interesting read with many examples: Cities for People - Jan Gehl - Google Books
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #65
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Because RS.

I agree 100%, I would like to see a poll of who on RS actually lives on their own and pay's for their own bills comapred to the ones that live at mommy and daddys and use their paychecks to buy rims or go to the bar every weekend.

What % of RS actually has to buy groceries and cook their own food. Pay for rent/mortage and insurance. Have your own credit cards you have to pay off and not ask your parents to help out when it's maxed.

We live where we do because it's our home, we cross the bridge to try to better our selves by working for a living and not living off someone else. How is it fair the people that are keeping this economy going are the ones that are taking the biggest hit.

Like I said the key here is to figure out something that will work for everyone now and especially in years to come with how rapidly the population is growing.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #66
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^ i have some friends that drive pretty nice cars but they live at home that like to bash me cuz i drive a civic. So i did some math and if i didnt have to pay my own way i could have a 2012 STI payed out in just rent alone by now, im sure all my other expenses that i wouldnt have to cover would have it sitting pretty nice also.

im sure alot more of RS would live in surrey/cheaper areas in the lower mainland if they didnt have mommy and daddy.

but to chime into the bridge convo, i dont think a bigger bridge wouldnt really disrupt anything, the congestion would just move to the next merge area/lights. look at the Golden ears bridge, i have never scene more than 50 cars on it at any 1 time.. even the new port mann is far from capacity, bigger bridge just means things will flow a bit better... not like everyone who dosnt go to new west is just going to flock there because of it
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #67
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
translink threads on rs

Spoiler!

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
I agree 100%, I would like to see a poll of who on RS actually lives on their own and pay's for their own bills comapred to the ones that live at mommy and daddys and use their paychecks to buy rims or go to the bar every weekend.

What % of RS actually has to buy groceries and cook their own food. Pay for rent/mortage and insurance. Have your own credit cards you have to pay off and not ask your parents to help out when it's maxed.

We live where we do because it's our home, we cross the bridge to try to better our selves by working for a living and not living off someone else. How is it fair the people that are keeping this economy going are the ones that are taking the biggest hit.

Like I said the key here is to figure out something that will work for everyone now and especially in years to come with how rapidly the population is growing.
You have some complete garbage points, and some good ones.

Why does it matter if you live with your parents or not? If I'm taking the bridge to work, I still end up losing just as much money as you do. I might not need to pay rent, but that was YOUR CHOICE to move out. It's a "luxury you chose. Blah blah blah, bitch and moan. /end.

Good points: You do live where you choose, and unfortunately infrastructure needs to be upgraded to handle the shitty planning of previous governments that didn't expect the GVRD to blow up so rapidly.
I agreed with your previous comments of tolling all the bridges, yet making it $0.50. But our government would never toll at $0.50, they'd want a $3-5 toll each way so they can "fund future expansion." (Line their greedy asshole pockets)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #69

Quote:
Because RS.

lol so many butts hurt it seems.... taking a swipe at a city isn't taking a swipe at you personally (unlike your comment)

seriously you two unbunch those panties

This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #70
Banned By Establishment

I live in New West because I love it. New West has a great vibe, awesome mix of people and ethnicity, great food, beautiful waterfront, nice parks, and there is always something to do! Every Thursday we have a Farmer's Market, every weekend there is some type of festival or event, I love window shopping along antique alley, or going to the Fraser River Discovery Centre, and I can't wait for the new Museum and Archives at the Performing Arts Centre.

New West has so much rich history.....like every city. I grew up in North Delta so we were always in Surrey. Its a great city! Parks, family, space, etc. I don't get why threads like this turn into such shit shows of people whipping out their city-dicks trying to one-up one another.

Oh, wait. I know. Its because most have nothing intelligent to add so they focus on increasing their post and thank count. A good "fuck surrey" post will garner easily 10" thanks" from all their fanboys.

Was hoping this thread would be a discussion about the actual bridge and translink. Silly me.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #71
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
^ i have some friends that drive pretty nice cars but they live at home that like to bash me cuz i drive a civic. So i did some math and if i didnt have to pay my own way i could have a 2012 STI payed out in just rent alone by now, im sure all my other expenses that i wouldnt have to cover would have it sitting pretty nice also.

im sure alot more of RS would live in surrey/cheaper areas in the lower mainland if they didnt have mommy and daddy.

but to chime into the bridge convo, i dont think a bigger bridge wouldnt really disrupt anything, the congestion would just move to the next merge area/lights. look at the Golden ears bridge, i have never scene more than 50 cars on it at any 1 time.. even the new port mann is far from capacity, bigger bridge just means things will flow a bit better... not like everyone who dosnt go to new west is just going to flock there because of it
What a new bridge will do is help get traffic out of new west/Coquitlam/Burnaby and will prevent a horrible congestion that is happening now. Look at the Port Mann works perfect and once hwy 1 is complete we won't have to worry about the back log of rush hour traffic we have right now. That's the thing that a lot of the RS members are not thinking about or looking at. It's about the bigger picture in the long run and how we can make life simple and easy.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #72
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Can't we all agree that the entire 604 area code sucks for many different reasons but we find different areas of the city to call our own and we find reasons to like them?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #73
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Quote:
What a new bridge will do is help get traffic out of new west/Coquitlam/Burnaby and will prevent a horrible congestion that is happening now. Look at the Port Mann works perfect and once hwy 1 is complete we won't have to worry about the back log of rush hour traffic we have right now. That's the thing that a lot of the RS members are not thinking about or looking at. It's about the bigger picture in the long run and how we can make life simple and easy.
Agreed. I say blow a 6-8 lane highway from Brunette to Queensborough and replace the Pattullo with a 6-8 lane bridge. Traffic congestion...gone.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #74

They need to turn that wooden bridge by Braid st into an actual functioning bridge (is it still out of commission?) iirc new west has always been against turning that into a real road because they're afraid of the traffic which is

ideally instead of all the expansion/development that new west has been doing would be cancelled and instead that space should be used to expand the roads

the traffic isn't going anywhere, literally, and they're just making it worse imo by making room to expand the population but ignoring the roads that that new population is going to be traveling on

Quote:
Oh, wait. I know. Its because most have nothing intelligent to add so they focus on increasing their post and thank count. A good "fuck surrey" post will garner easily 10" thanks" from all their fanboys.

surrey new west sucks :P
Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #75
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
The way I look at those bridge:

Golden Ears: The future bridge. Obviously this bridge is NO WHERE NEAR capacity...and it likely won't be for a very long time. Did we jump the gun on building it? Maybe, maybe not. In 10-15 years time I imagine we'll be pretty happy it was built.

Port Mann: The Current bridge. Was built just in time. The traffic leading up the the bridge in both directions was reaching a road-rage level. IMO, the did this just in the nick of time.

Patullo: The Past Bridge. Should have been done years ago...not necessarily for traffic and congestion reasons, but for safety. Rush hour traffic is OK...it will likely get worse, but currently and for the next few years it will be OK. This problem is, we get an earthquake over 3.5 and everyone driving over is swimming to their grave. The major issue with any proposed new bridge isn't really the bridge itself...its how you exit off it into New West. Will be interesting to see how the solve that problem.