REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Government Waste (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684834-government-waste.html)

Gridlock 06-03-2013 09:50 PM

Government Waste

The ultimate, fucked up, one of a kind listing of every no good, sleazy, easy corrupted, foul, money sucking, bribery empowered entitled asshat that ever got elected to a government office spending our hard earned in ways that we could ever imagine.

Basically, a collection of stupidity on behalf of elected officials.

The rules:

Needs to have a dollar amount. Otherwise, just the sheer size and waste of the bureaucracy that feeds the bureaucracy will just ruin the thread.

Needs to be Canadian

Needs to be Current

Needs to be Approved-dipshits come up with ways to waste money all the time. Doesn't mean the guy with the checkbook actually says yes.

Other rules TBA.

Gridlock 06-03-2013 09:51 PM

Surrey councillor charges taxpayers over $9,000 for Italian conference | Globalnews.ca

Claimed $5500 for a second seat on a trip to Italy so he could stretch out. I'm hoping he gets told he can pay that back.

twdm 06-04-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8252503)
Surrey councillor charges taxpayers over $9,000 for Italian conference | Globalnews.ca

Claimed $5500 for a second seat on a trip to Italy so he could stretch out. I'm hoping he gets told he can pay that back.

Do you actually read the shit you post or are you just ranting like CiC about money grabbing zionists.

He claimed $5500 FOR BUSINESS CLASS SEATS.

Manic! 06-04-2013 01:32 AM

Nanaimo is spending 90k for a outdoor toilet and 20k to install it. Now that's a waste.

Nanaimo reaffirms plan for public toilet in bid to stop public urination and pooping - Local - Times Colonist

dvst8 06-04-2013 06:51 AM

This was last years but still pisses me off.

Canadian federal civil servants ? who weren?t laid off ? paid ?staggering? $1.2B in severance | News | National Post

Quote:

OTTAWA — The federal government paid $1.2-billion in voluntary severance last fiscal year to 91,613 public servants who either remain in their jobs, retired or quit on their own — a perk unheard of to most Canadian taxpayers who are footing the bill.

Business groups and spending watchdogs say the voluntary payouts are both “staggering” and “outrageous,” considering Canadians in the private sector are generally only paid severance when they lose their job — not if they continue working or leave on their own.

All told, taxpayers are on the hook for more than $1.5-billion in regular and voluntary severance to 102,589 public servants in 2011-12, according to new federal numbers obtained by Postmedia News.

Gridlock 06-04-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twdm (Post 8252634)
Do you actually read the shit you post or are you just ranting like CiC about money grabbing zionists.

don't ever equate me with goddamned CiC.

cho 06-04-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twdm (Post 8252634)

Metro Vancouver taxpayers paid nearly $5,500 so Surrey councillor and MLA-elect Marvin Hunt could “stretch out and actually sleep” on his executive business class flight to Italy in 2011.

just incase you didn't catch it

Tapioca 06-04-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvst8 (Post 8252703)

The amounts might sound outrageous, but what would you say if those agreements were negotiated fairly? Perhaps, you should read a bit more into the contents of those agreements because if you did, you would discover that staff are able to exercise the option of leaving even if they weren't given notices in a layoff period.

Even if you had wanted to break such an agreement by refusing to honour it, the unions would have taken the government to court and probably would have lost.
Posted via RS Mobile

twdm 06-04-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 8252747)
Metro Vancouver taxpayers paid nearly $5,500 so Surrey councillor and MLA-elect Marvin Hunt could “stretch out and actually sleep” on his executive business class flight to Italy in 2011.

just incase you didn't catch it

He wrote he bought a SECOND SEAT just in case you didn't catch it tard.

Here, let me bold it for you in case you're blind and retarded from circle jerking dinosaur and gridlock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8252503)

This is a business trip, so I don't see any issue with an elected MLA sitting in business class especially in a long haul flight. This is the norm.

quasi 06-04-2013 11:43 AM

Look no further then Government construction projects, fuck fiscal responsibility that shit is for pussies we got deep pockets. I estimate commercial projects including a lot of Government ones. Many times they use finishes you only see in well, other Government projects because the private sector would almost never waste that kind of money on cosmetics...the one exception is Private Schools those guys will out do anyone with there designs.

Traum 06-04-2013 12:07 PM

Was just going to post this as a separate thread:

Metro Vancouver mayors, councillors slammed for downtown hotel stay during convention

Essentially, the Coquitlam mayor Richard Stewart + 4 counsellors, New Westminster Mayor Wayne Wright, Port Coquitlam Mayor Greg Moore, Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts and four of her fellow council members had their hotel rooms paid for at the Vancouver Pan Pacific Hotel in DT.

Those of us that commute from these municipalities to DT for work everyday should be especially upset about this. If we have to fxxking put up with getting up early, gas, tolls, traffic, etc. everyday, these elected pricks ought to do the same.

Interestingly, Bike Boy did not use the city's money for any hotel stays this time.

stewie 06-04-2013 12:12 PM

-edit-

^^beat me to it lol

Phil@rise 06-04-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twdm (Post 8252891)
He wrote he bought a SECOND SEAT just in case you didn't catch it tard.

Here, let me bold it for you in case you're blind and retarded from circle jerking dinosaur and gridlock.

This is a business trip, so I don't see any issue with an elected MLA sitting in business class especially in a long haul flight. This is the norm.

relax buddy no need to be so abrasive. Unless your a corrupt gov official with gold leaf toilet paper

bloodmack 06-04-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8252744)
don't ever equate me with goddamned CiC.

Yah we all know CiC>Gridlock

MindBomber 06-04-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8252917)

Metro Vancouver mayors, councillors slammed for downtown hotel stay during convention

Essentially, the Coquitlam mayor Richard Stewart + 4 counsellors, New Westminster Mayor Wayne Wright, Port Coquitlam Mayor Greg Moore, Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts and four of her fellow council members had their hotel rooms paid for at the Vancouver Pan Pacific Hotel in DT.

Those of us that commute from these municipalities to DT for work everyday should be especially upset about this. If we have to fxxking put up with getting up early, gas, tolls, traffic, etc. everyday, these elected pricks ought to do the same.

Interestingly, Bike Boy did not use the city's money for any hotel stays this time.

In private industry it's standard practice to provide hotel rooms for conference attendees, regardless of the distance of commute. I have a number of friends living in Surrey, Langley, and Abbotsford who have had hotel rooms provided for conferences in Vancouver.

It seems wasteful, but since private industry does it is passes the litmus test as acceptable in my eyes.

Traum 06-04-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8252939)
In private industry it's standard practice to provide hotel rooms for conference attendees, regardless of the distance of commute. I have a number of friends living in Surrey, Langley, and Abbotsford who have had hotel rooms provided for conferences in Vancouver.

Bingo! City mayors and counsellors do not exactly work in the private industry, do they?

The difference is, the private industry does not spend our public tax dollars.

Tapioca 06-04-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 8252904)
Look no further then Government construction projects, fuck fiscal responsibility that shit is for pussies we got deep pockets. I estimate commercial projects including a lot of Government ones. Many times they use finishes you only see in well, other Government projects because the private sector would almost never waste that kind of money on cosmetics...the one exception is Private Schools those guys will out do anyone with there designs.

There's two sides to every issue. When you're talking about a public asset, it's hard to make decisions based purely on dollars and cents. If every public asset were built on the cheap with no aesthetics, everything would be pretty grim. Say what you will about the politicians who occupy them, but what would our Parliament buildings look like if we had a strict dollars and cents mentality? I think a reasonable argument can be made that public assets should reflect the public's aspirations. Is our aspiration to build something that reflects our collective frugality? Maybe, maybe not.
Posted via RS Mobile

fishCak3s 06-04-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8252917)

I heard on news11130, Coquitlam mayor said they're working up to 16 hours a day during the convention so commuting is not doable

Traum 06-04-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madeintaiwan (Post 8252968)
I heard on news11130, Coquitlam mayor said they're working up to 16 hours a day during the convention so commuting is not doable

My question is -- do you buy that as an acceptable reason?

Since university, I have certainly pulled my share of crazy work hours, so having 16 hour days is no foreign concept to me. I've had to drive home from school/work, wash up and sleep for 4 hrs or less, only to crawl out of bed again to start another work day, all on my own dime. So let's just say I am a harda$$, and these guys get no sympathy from me.

dinosaur 06-04-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8252983)

Since university, I have certainly pulled my share of crazy work hours, so having 16 hour days is no foreign concept to me. I've had to drive home from school/work, wash up and sleep for 4 hrs or less, only to crawl out of bed again to start another work day, all on my own dime. So let's just say I am a harda$$, and these guys get no sympathy from me.

Not to mention that its not like they are doing this daily. The rest of the time they are workin' 4 hour days, if that!

Lomac 06-04-2013 02:59 PM

TWDM = Marin Hunt?

:considered:

gars 06-04-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8252983)

So you're saying that just because you aren't allowed to have a semi-cushy life, the mayor isn't either? I'm sure most people on this forum above 25 has, at one point in their life, had to work long hours with little rest, whether it was because of work, school or both - but that doesn't mean we should start making all public sector workers start working 12 hour days.

I don't get it - so we aren't allowed to compare these guys to a company executive working in the private sector? They have to work the long hours, but don't get the same benefits - such as staying at a hotel during conferences - nor are they allowed the same pay.

Gridlock 06-04-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8253024)
TWDM = Marin Hunt?

:considered:

Don't know about that, but its nice and refreshing to know I have another friend on the board!

A big welcome to TWDM! Thanks for coming out buddy. Can already tell we're going to be tight.

No serious, that was not at all sarcasm. I actually really like it when some less than 100 post mystery username dipshit rips me a new one over a small mistake.

Bring it on!

http://analisefagan123.edublogs.org/...on-1mafbot.jpg

twdm 06-04-2013 03:09 PM

Uhh a tiny mistake? So you're saying someone who buys 2 seats so he can stretch is the same as someone flying business for a business trip?

Jesus, if the tards here had their way our mayors would be eating paper and sleeping in garbage bags because they're spending taxpayer dollars.
Posted via RS Mobile

Tapioca 06-04-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8253020)
Not to mention that its not like they are doing this daily. The rest of the time they are workin' 4 hour days, if that!

Part of the reason why I think we have the politcians we have is that it's a lousy job with no recognition and no honour. You never get credit when you do the right thing, but you get slammed when you do the wrong thing. It may seem to most of us here that they do nothing, but I think that's a fairly naïve view to have. Managing a building of 200 residents is not the same as managing a city of 200,000 people.

If politics was so lucrative (either through salaries, or corruption), then why don't we have more "smart" people in politics? I guess smart, charismatic people would rather make their 6 figures salaries in anonymity.
Posted via RS Mobile