REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Brake Pad Service or Rotor Replacement?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone i.e. mechanics, service dept peeps can provide some insight here. I'm at the point on my car where I have had a brake service done on my car i.e. pad replacement and rotors machined, and now I'm probably due up for another. It's about $400 for each front and rear set brake service ($800 total for both, not a luxury brand car). I have seen complete OEM front and rear brake kits (includes pads and rotors) for around $400 in parts. If I bought and brought the parts to a place to have them installed, will it be more than $400 for installation? Am I better off to do it this way? Or just go with the brake service as described above. I'm looking to see which way is the best to go for my money. Thanks.
Advertisement
Ayuready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

really depends on what car u have and how easy it is to remove the rotors... some cars still require the front hubs to come apart to remove rotors...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Where was this $800 quote from? Seems awfully high. And thats coming from me, i guy that works at a dealer. If you brought your own parts to a shop, i'm sure labor would be well under $400. Sorry i cant be more help with dollar figures. I just do the work. I don't really concern myself with numbers.

Why not try it yourself? Brakes really arent that hard to do. Money you spend on labor, you could put towards the tools needed. At the end of it, you'll some experience and some tools.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfy View Post
really depends on what car u have and how easy it is to remove the rotors... some cars still require the front hubs to come apart to remove rotors...
good point, if front hubs have to be press apart, that drives up the labor. Depends on what car you have
Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Try buying your parts from USA sites/dealers. Not sure what car you drive, but for many German makes the USA part costs as much as 70% less than Canadian pricing, shipping included. Then you pick up at Point Roberts. The pricing differential for brake parts and tires is insane.

And if you want to save even more money, learn to DIY your brakes as well.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
RS Lurker, I don't post!

It's for my daily driver, an 05 Mazda 3 SP23. Dealer quoted me basically about $400 each for front and rear pad replacement, machined rotors, etc. I'm not really a DIY type of person and not sure if brakes are where I want to start! LOL! I could probably do it but would take me a lot longer. Based on what I drive, can anyone chime in on the level of difficulty for pad and rotor replacement on my car? From what I have seen only, I'd be looking at about $150 for both front and rear pads and about $70 for each rotor. I think these are OEMs. In total probably $450ish. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Try RockAuto Parts Catalog
Get it shipped to the states.
A shop here could do the installation for you around $100/hour
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Hopeless Romantic

Pretty solid DIY tutorials on MS3 forums if you're willing to have a go at it.

Additionally, like others have stated, your best bet for savings are probably to purchase the parts online and have them shipped to pt roberts or blaine for pick up...

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
His location states Calgary.

Would cost him $800 alone to fly to Vancouver and then a rental car for his trip to Point Roberts. Makes so much sense.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
DIY -- brake jobs are the biggest rip off
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
His location states Calgary.

Would cost him $800 alone to fly to Vancouver and then a rental car for his trip to Point Roberts. Makes so much sense.
LOL, I get what he was trying to say!