REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #51
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Looks like you got everything covered.

A couple garbage bags would be a good idea as well. A tarp or ezup is also a good thing to bring incase of poor weather
Advertisement
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #52
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Just got my family back from camping out in the middle of nowhere. Some narrow trails (more pin striping now) and some mud later, we found a hidden gem of a spot to call it a night. This was not only both the boys' first time camping, but also my wife's first time. European girls are spoiled I tell ya.

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #53
Survivor MOD

great pics,

more info on the truck? looks like a nissan frontier
Old 07-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #54
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
great pics,

sure does, looks like a pro4x model by the looks of that roof rack.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #55

Quote:
great pics,

You nailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
sure does, looks like a pro4x model by the looks of that roof rack.
You failed. lol.

It is a 2007 Frontier LE Crew Cab 4x4 long box version. I bought it new, have 5" lift and 33" tires to get me out into the bushes where I like to go. I also have a set of air bags in the bag to prevent my lift springs from sagging while loaded.

It is really poor on gas - 19.8l per 100km. The 4.0l V6 just isn't enough for the size and weight. If I was looking at trucks nowadays, I would consider a full-size for more space in the cab and better mileage. My Frontier is pretty well the same size now as an F150 and still can't turn around on a double wide road.

My wife drives it most of the time, it is my kid hauler - and she feels safe in it. When I get behind the wheel, I tend to go the route less traveled (and my family is okay with that, enjoying the ride).

This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #56
Survivor MOD

looks like a great bush truck.

mine does 13.5L/100km right now which isnt too shabby for a 4.0L v6.

for a fullsize i'd probably swing for an eco-boost f150 as i dont tow.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #57
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post

You failed. lol.
lol, newer models only came with a roof rack on the off road model... my bad
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #58
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
I'm up at stave almost every friday night in my Jeep cherokee. Maybe we've crossed paths? It's lifted with 35' tires, winch, sliders, tube bumper etc.
possibly you I saw this weekend????

two crack head kids had a red 94 explorer flipped upside down in a ditch, I was pulled over with the gf talking to them. silver jeep, big ole tires, steel bumper and winch, white guy with a cute girl beside him? I was in a black f150 on the side of the road?? lol

anyways, I was at stave this weekend trying out my buddies new kel tec RFB

we were going to go down to a place we normally shoot at (haven't been there in a few months) but its now been turned into a fucking pay camping site at sayres lake????? talked to the attendants down there saying its been there since march, and if were caught shooting anywhere near there we'll be fined up the ass....which I find doubtful...isn't that whole area crown land?? its not a provincial park site...that's for sure...
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #59
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
we were going to go down to a place we normally shoot at (haven't been there in a few months) but its now been turned into a fucking pay camping site at sayres lake????? talked to the attendants down there saying its been there since march, and if were caught shooting anywhere near there we'll be fined up the ass....which I find doubtful...isn't that whole area crown land?? its not a provincial park site...that's for sure...
Sayres Lake is a Parks and Trails BC campground managed by the District of Mission and Kwantlen First Nations.

The District of Mission has a firearm discharge bylaw, and violating it carries heavy fines. The bylaw does not outright prohibit shooting at Sayres Lake, but there are conditions. The bylaw is in the final stages of a revision that will outright prohibit shooting at Sayres Lake, however. The window for public input on the issue has closed.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #60
2 Wheelin' Mod

Went camping in the roche lake area had to go off roading bit but nothing too bad had an 04 toyota tundra but didn't need to put it in 4x4
Posted via RS Mobile
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #61
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife.../FVSAH2012.pdf

The area directly around sayers lake is RED, meaning no discharge of firearms in the area as its prohibited under municipal bylaw.

Print out a copy of that map so you know where can and cant shoot.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #62

London Drugs has all of their camping gear at 50% right now, including their Coleman products. Picked up a new portable charcoal BBQ yesterday.

Heading out with the kidlets and wife this weekend to camp on the Sunshine Coast. Friends of mine are getting married and they have many acres, so everyone is camping, three bands will be there, going to be a fun weekend.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #63
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife.../FVSAH2012.pdf

The area directly around sayers lake is RED, meaning no discharge of firearms in the area as its prohibited under municipal bylaw.

Print out a copy of that map so you know where can and cant shoot.
That's a useful map.

I had thought shooting was permitted at Sayers, but with strict conditions.

The bylaw revision will turn the entire District of Mission red.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #64
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
Went camping in the roche lake area had to go off roading bit but nothing too bad had an 04 toyota tundra but didn't need to put it in 4x4
Posted via RS Mobile
Went to roche lake as well. Out of 7 of us we only caught 1 trout. We stayed 3 nights there on the west end of the lake. North side was way to windy.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #65
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

So does anybody know any good scenic free camping areas on Vancouver island accessible with a fwd economy car?
Ding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:54 AM   #66
Survivor MOD

lots of logging roads to chase with spur roads you could camp off of.

what kind of fwd economy car is it and does it have skid plates lol.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #67
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
lots of logging roads to chase with spur roads you could camp off of.

what kind of fwd economy car is it and does it have skid plates lol.
Could you name some specific places haha? Im up in nanaimo but i don't mind driving out.

Just your basic honda civic. lol
Ding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #68
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Actually I’ve got a similar question. Looking to camp last week of August around courtenay/comox/Cumberland, would prefer a lake. Last year we stayed at miracle beach and loved it. We usually do our camping on the mainland but I like the island too.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #69
Survivor MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding View Post
Could you name some specific places haha? Im up in nanaimo but i don't mind driving out.

Just your basic honda civic. lol
i just got back from the island and everything is shut down or gated due to fire season. i spoke to some locals in the nanaimo/parksville area and some loggers who said that the majority of the island is privately owned so there is a lack of crown land to camp on. you'd probably have an easier time accessing sweet spots from the water if you're on the island.

if you're coming to the mainland plenty of stretches of roads to choose from. stock civic i'd gently go up the east side of harrison lake and find a nice spot. you might get stuck at cogburn beach which during the high season is run by the local band so bring some cash. last time i was in the area i think it was $13 a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Actually I’ve got a similar question. Looking to camp last week of August around courtenay/comox/Cumberland, would prefer a lake. Last year we stayed at miracle beach and loved it. We usually do our camping on the mainland but I like the island too.

Any suggestions?
again, not much on the island in terms of offroad/crown land camping. if you're going to drive a little you can still find some decent spots around lake Kennedy.

sorry for the late reply been busy on the road and working.