REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Are some of you members serious? The police were too rough? You have got to be kidding me. This was handled in the expected way of an officer.

If you watched the video, the suspect clearly states he has warrants out for his arrest. So whether he robbed the store, stole a pack of gum, or was minding his business walking down the street, it doesn't matter. There is a warrant for his arrest.

I understand, you feel bad for the suspect because he seems genuinely sorry or whatever, but you have no idea what the warrant is for.
Advertisement
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

So many people whip out their phones to record the video but no one goes to help. Cop might not need help but seriously that's so stupid.

Humanity needs to be fully restored.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,733 Times in 696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
So many people whip out their phones to record the video but no one goes to help. Cop might not need help but seriously that's so stupid.

There seem to be a lot of couch hero's here...

As far as I can tell, there seems to be only one person in that video that knows he's a cop, and this isn't found out until near the end.

From the bystanders, they just see two people in a fight. Who the hell is just going to jump in? You? I doubt it.

Talk is cheap.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
Waste of time.just another crackhead waiting to reoffend when he gets out. I dunno why people waste their energy on this scum. He wasnt hurting other people so I don't see why the cop had to go all vigilante.
You wouldn't think that way if it was your mom and pop business being ripped off. or his warrants were for sexually assaulting someone you knew.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Sadly, he'll be back down Davie, either shoplifting, breaking into cars, or stealing purses to fund his likely drug addiction

Kudos to the off duty cop - the judicial system makes it irrelevant, unfortunately
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #31
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Talk about a disciplined officer. Fucking awesome. To those who claim boring, this video is a great example of good cops out there.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #32
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

As far as I can tell, there seems to be only one person in that video that knows he's a cop, and this isn't found out until near the end.

From the bystanders, they just see two people in a fight. Who the hell is just going to jump in? You? I doubt it.

Talk is cheap.
When you see a person running from another person with a bag. What's your first reaction? Oh right, take out your phone and film it, then put it on World Star? I think the only person who ever offered to help was the male nurse somewhere near the middle of the video.

Within the first 10 seconds of the take down the Polish/Russian yells out "call 911". There were 10+ people there that stood and watched. Granted, I don't expect women in heels to help, but c'mon the security guard just stood there like a fucking tree, just as far as the camera person
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #33
HELP ME PLS!!!

Yeah the security guard was a total failure, and should be fired for failing to assist. I understand that he may not have the power to arrest (company policy), but he is more than capable to assist.

Also, if this wasn't an off-duty police officer making an arrest of a shoplifter, I don't know if that would've been a Priority 1 call (meaning cops show up asap with siren). I've been in situations where I've made arrests and the cops don't show up for 6 hours.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #34
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Are some of you members serious? The police were too rough? You have got to be kidding me. This was handled in the expected way of an officer.
it probably looks like the other officers were rough to them because the off duty was so calm and controlled
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #35
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

but we need to film because it might become the next Youtube sensation video!

joking.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #36
RS Veteran

Quote:
When you see a person running from another person with a bag. What's your first reaction? Oh right, take out your phone and film it, then put it on World Star? I think the only person who ever offered to help was the male nurse somewhere near the middle of the video.

Within the first 10 seconds of the take down the Polish/Russian yells out "call 911". There were 10+ people there that stood and watched. Granted, I don't expect women in heels to help, but c'mon the security guard just stood there like a fucking tree, just as far as the camera person
to the defense of the security guard, they aren't paid to arrest people.. they are paid to call suspicious or illegal activity.. If they get injured and cannot work, they won't be compensated because it's not in their job requirements to get hands on. Most people also are afraid of being sued as well, and don't know their rights as a citizen to aid in an arrest.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Also for those of you who didn't notice, the guy who was filming was actually on the phone with 911, I guess he was filming with his ipod or something 'cause he had a dumbphone in his hand that he was calling with.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #38
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:

Talk is cheap.
You, I like you

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #39
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
+1 for the cop

i can't help but feel sympathy for the suspected shoplifter though (he wasn't acting like a pos either) especially if it's expected he stole something like food
doubt he stole food. all you have to do is stand in front of a mcdonalds and ask for food not money and someone will buy it for you in no time.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #40
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
its not like people don't shoplift food in fact that's quite common, have witnessed many cases in which the shoplifter was in court because of food theft (heck i've witnessed people stealing bread from save-on and getting manhandled over it)

Anyways I had asked the guy who uploaded the video what was shoplifted he said it wasn't food but didn't know what it was but he said the guy was running out of a Shoppers Drug Mart
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #41
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
My mother in law when she was alive worked at Safeway forever. They would have people in there daily stealing food. They would steal tons of meat and cheese. They had a guy that would steal so much cheese they called him the cheese guy, he would always come in and steal it. He'd get caught, arrested and he'd come back and do it again and again.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #42
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
My mother in law when she was alive worked at Safeway forever. They would have people in there daily stealing food. They would steal tons of meat and cheese. They had a guy that would steal so much cheese they called him the cheese guy, he would always come in and steal it. He'd get caught, arrested and he'd come back and do it again and again.
Guy I used to work with used to brag about how he bought $300 worth of meat for $50 from some guy right outside Safeway who'd loaded it into a duffel.

Guy was a douche.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #43
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
to the defense of the security guard, they aren't paid to arrest people.. they are paid to call suspicious or illegal activity.. If they get injured and cannot work, they won't be compensated because it's not in their job requirements to get hands on. Most people also are afraid of being sued as well, and don't know their rights as a citizen to aid in an arrest.
I feel like this is true.
What the general population will do is keep to themselves, as natural defence.
Get involved and things get hairy.
What if you hurt the guy detaining him? Maybe he could sue, maybe you could get charged?

Sort of like in a situation where you injure somebody robbing your house, and you get charged.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #44
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
Sort of like in a situation where you injure somebody robbing your house, and you get charged.
with malice intent, if they break into your house and you're face to face with them, then go nuts and swing a bat and protect yourself. however if they're running away and feel the need to shoot them in the back, it makes things a little murky. just like in the same situation here, the way he detained the shop lifter had almost no physical damage on the guy... ive been on the other side (not because of shoplifting but in a gym) all that does it make you feel very powerless and kinda feeble and kinda frustrated. that being said not everyone understands that, and not everyone understands the situation and as previously stated above, hes got that shit handled gramps.
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #45
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duy- View Post
he didn't need to swear, the Russian accent is intimidating enough
Posted via RS Mobile
reminds me of this

flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #46
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
OMG!! Are you talking about Corey, the cheese thief??

I worked at Safeway for years, and I kid you not, was just tell Gridlock about Corey the cheese guy the other day! lol
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #47
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
I feel like this is true.
What the general population will do is keep to themselves, as natural defence.
Get involved and things get hairy.
What if you hurt the guy detaining him? Maybe he could sue, maybe you could get charged?

Arrest without warrant by any person

494. (1) Any one may arrest without warrant

(a) a person whom he finds committing an indictable offence; or

(b) a person who, on reasonable grounds, he believes

(i) has committed a criminal offence, and

(ii) is escaping from and freshly pursued by persons who have lawful authority to arrest that person.

Arrest by owner, etc., of property

(2) Any one who is

(a) the owner or a person in lawful possession of property, or

(b) a person authorized by the owner or by a person in lawful possession of property,

may arrest without warrant a person whom he finds committing a criminal offence on or in relation to that property.

Delivery to peace officer

(3) Any one other than a peace officer who arrests a person without warrant shall forthwith deliver the person to a peace officer.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #48
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Talk about a disciplined officer. Fucking awesome. To those who claim boring, this video is a great example of good cops out there.
This is an example of most officers out there. But you can't use it to claim "fucking pigs are power trippers" so they rarely get posted anywhere. It's always the rare video showing officers doing something suspect that gets the attention and allows some to label all police officers based on the actions of a few.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
OMG! Won't people think of the children!! Whaa. The police are so rough. You made him cry. Maybe he was hungry, and stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family.

Fuck off.

Yes people, he was hungry(for heroin) and stealing a loaf of bread(to sell) to feed his family(adorable kids...they're names are heroin)
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #50
NSX
NA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts14 View Post
thats a good cop. he didnt physically destroy the guy and wasnt saying shit to him either. just did what he had to do
Yep,
professional guy. Came and took our cases many times in North van. Awesome cop. I woulda definitely helped him out instead of standing like a retard.
NSX is offline   Reply With Quote