REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Employer Not Paying Wages Out

My friend worked for this new store that just opened up (not even a month) and they got a job there. After working two or three weeks there, they decided it wasnt what they wanted and quit.

Its been about a week since they quit and they havent got any of their pay yet since the opening, and the coworkers said the same thing. When confronting the owner/manager he said that the accountant messed something up or they have to clear it up with the bank or whatever.

Now I know that the BC Ministry of Labor says that the employer must pay out wages due 6 days (calendar days) after the last day the employee works (if they quit).

Anybody have any experience with this happening? Any consequences for busineses not following the Employment Standard AcT? Would the ministry of labor do anything or should proceed to small claims?

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
VLS Head Mod

Tell your friend to advise former boss of the labour relations code and that they're hoping it can be resolved immediately or they will file a complaint.. My employer laid me off and was suppose to have final pay out in 48 hours but took over a week. When I mentioned the code since they're out in Montreal they weren't aware and said I was right and they'd process it right away
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanks for the input. I advised them to contact the ministry of labor and get some advice.

Btw do you know how wages owed are calculated if they did not even work there for a month? It was agreed upon for $3000 base per month, so I assume $1500 per paycheck bi-weekly. But the amount of hours worked were always changing, some days 9hrs and some days 5hrs, and they took 2 days off because they were sick. Do they still get paid $1500 bi-weekly since its base salary?

They only worked at this company for 3 weeks before they quit so they never even got their first paycheck yet. The owner was blaming the bank and accountant for the mixups.

How would you calculate what was owed? Thanks so much
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
sounds like you were on salary. 3000/mo
did you get any sick days or provisions in the employment contract?

best: 1500
worst: 1500 less 2 sick days

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote