REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #101
The Lone Wanderator
Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Because RS is too lazy to click:

WASHINGTON — President Obama proposed significant new limits on the power of intelligence agencies to secretly collect vast amounts of information on Americans, responding to weeks of controversy with steps he said were designed to "ensure that the American people can trust that our efforts are in line with our interests and our values."

The proposals include measures to ensure that the government no longer will be the only side represented before the secret court that approves intelligence surveillance. They mark the first results of an intense debate within the administration about how to address the public unease over domestic spying that began with disclosures from former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden.

Further measures remain under debate as intelligence officials try to head off more drastic changes in Congress. The additional steps the administration is considering include amending the law to limit how much information on Americans the NSA can acquire and how long it can keep the data.

Even the steps announced so far amount to a shift after 12 years in which Congress and the White House, responding to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, have mostly expanded the authority and budgets of intelligence agencies.

Key members of Congress on both sides of the surveillance debate offered qualified support, heightening the chance that legislation reining in some of the NSA's authority could pass this fall.

The proposals also represent a victory for Snowden, the 30-year-old fugitive who released details about the NSA's classified programs, saying he wanted to start a debate over the appropriateness of U.S. efforts to gather data from the world's telephone and Internet systems.

Friday, in a near hourlong news conference a day before he heads to Martha's Vineyard for a nine-day family vacation, Obama engaged in that debate. He criticized Snowden, who has obtained temporary asylum in Russia, and called on him to return to face felony charges for leaking classified information. But the president also conceded the impact Snowden has had on the national debate.

"I don't think Mr. Snowden was a patriot," Obama said. "If in fact he believes that what he did was right, then, like every American citizen, he can come here, appear before the court with a lawyer and make his case."

Obama said he already had moved toward reviewing intelligence collection programs before Snowden's disclosures. But, he added, "there's no doubt that Mr. Snowden's leaks triggered a much more rapid and passionate response" in Congress and among the American public.

Obama also criticized Russian President Vladimir Putin, suggesting that in granting refuge to Snowden and opposing the U.S. on other issues, he had engaged in a reflexive anti-Americanism that "played into the old Cold War stereotypes."

Obama said he has a good working relationship with Putin, despite his decision to cancel a summit meeting with the Russian leader that had been scheduled in Moscow for next month after a G-20 meeting in St. Petersburg. Their

personal rapport has little to do with whether U.S.-Russian relations improve, he said.

"Right now, this is just a matter of where Mr. Putin and the Russian people want to go," Obama said. "If they are looking forward into the 21st century," he said, "then I think we can work together."

On the other hand, "if issues are framed as, 'if the U.S. is for it, then Russia should be against it,' or we're going to be finding ways where we can poke each other at every opportunity, then probably we don't get as much stuff done," he added.

Obama acknowledged that intelligence officials' desire to classify all aspects of their programs had hurt public trust.

He said he had told officials that "rather than have a trunk come out here and a leg come out there and a tail come out there, let's just put the whole elephant out there so people know exactly what they're looking at."

And he defended U.S. actions against critics in Europe and elsewhere who, he said, have minimized U.S. efforts to avoid intelligence abuses.

"We shouldn't forget the difference between the ability of our government to collect information online, under strict guidelines and for narrow purposes, and the willingness of some other governments to throw their own citizens in prison for what they say online," he said.

But while he defended the existing efforts, he also said he was considering several proposals to restrict them, particularly the most controversial program, which allows NSA to collect virtually all Americans' telephone calling records.

The NSA currently maintains a database of "metadata" on nearly every telephone call made within the United States. The data include which numbers called which other numbers, the date and time of each call and its duration. The database does not identify the callers, or include the contents of any call, officials repeatedly have said.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #102
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
Thanks Graeme.

Also, some interesting and related journal articles that I think complement the discussion on surveillance (if anyone is interested you can probably search them up on google):

"Did September 11 Change Everything? Struggling to Preserve Canadian Values in the Face of Terrorism" (Kent Roach)
"Fallout from '9-11': Will a Security Culture Undermine Human Rights?" (Stephen Toope)
"Reflections on Civil Liberties in an Age of Counterterrorism" (Conor Gearty)

These kinds of papers sum up my concerns about people like Traum who say, "I'm not doing anything wrong so I don't mind being snooped" that I think are much too simplistic and easy arguments.

02' Lexus IS300 5spd (rip)
07' BMW 323iA (sold)
05' BMW Z4 5spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
06' BMW 330i 6spd (sold)
08' BMW M3 6spd

15' Kawasaki Ninja300

Last edited by bing; 08-10-2013 at 10:11 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #103
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
Thanked 4,862 Times in 1,518 Posts
New leak by Snowden reveals breakthrough cryptologic program from NSA to decrypt coded internet data:

New Snowden Leak Reports 'Groundbreaking' NSA Crypto-Cracking | Threat Level |
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
Old 08-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #104
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
Thanked 1,430 Times in 720 Posts
Is anyone surprise by this. I am not. Best way to protect your personl info is not to give them out or even post them online or even E-mail them to your friends.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #105
My homepage has been set to RS
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is anyone surpriseD by this. I am not. Best way to protect your personAl info is not to give them out or even post them online or even E-mail them to your friends.
them as in the infos?
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #106
Head Moderator
Thanked 6,116 Times in 1,961 Posts
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
New leak by Snowden reveals breakthrough cryptologic program from NSA to decrypt coded internet data:

I thought one of the terms of Russia granting Snowden asylum was that he'd stop leaking information...
Old 08-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #107
Need my Daily Fix of RS
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I thought one of the terms of Russia granting Snowden asylum was that he'd stop leaking information...
Well since the US are ignoring Russian warnings about Syria...

Safe to say the deal is off
Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #108
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!
Thanked 9,039 Times in 3,225 Posts
apparently the leak was a 170+pg document but the news agencies are censoring most of it out of concern that the info is too damning and dangerous for the USA

unbiased news eh
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #109
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Dalai says:

"Putin said Snowden could not do anything to harm America. Snowden agreed to that. Snowden also stated he had done nothing to harm America.

Since Snowden, and many more of us, believe the leaks greatly help America by exposing government corruption and illegal activies which flagrantly violate the 4th Amendment, then Snowden can continue leaking (and helping) and not violate his pledge to Putin."

Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #110
VLS Head Mod
Edward snowden was a speaker at the TED conference
Edward Snowden makes surprise visit at TED Vancouver as a robot (VIDEO)

Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #111
Originally posted by Ulic Qel-Droma
ill have to agree. .. kinda. sometimes i get a hardon over her, but then i'm like *no i shouldnt.. this is wrong, she's not up to my standards*. but i guess my dick has it's own set of rules.
This post thanked by: