REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Quebec vs The World re: blatant racism in Soccer

Quebec Soccer Federation keeping turban ban - Montreal - CBC News

The Quebec Soccer Federation says it is maintaining its ban on turbans, patkas and keskis.

The organization issued a statement today saying the controversial ban remains in effect.

The Canadian Soccer Association suspended the provincial body on Monday after it showed no sign of overturning its decision to prohibit Sikh religious headwear on the pitch.

In its statement, the Quebec federation said it will do everything it can to re-establish dialogue with the Canadian Soccer Federation.

Quebec Premier Pauline Marois said this week that it’s unacceptable for the Canadian body to suspend the provincial organization.

The CSA has said the ban will remain in place until the Quebec federation lifts its restrictions.

The turban debate has transformed into an international news story.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
The great wall of Quebec sounds pretty good right about now..
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
The ironing is delicious.

As a people who've felt oppressed (whether legit or not isn't the question), it seems that a large population feels the need to do the same to other people.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
meanwhile in the indo canadian soccer league...

Quote:
Indo-Canadian Soccer Tournament allows not more than four non Indo Canadian players in any under -13 soccer team

Surrey soccer mom wants ethnic rule revised in Indo-Canadian league
Posted via RS Mobile
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmb View Post
meanwhile in the indo canadian soccer league...

Surrey soccer mom wants ethnic rule revised in Indo-Canadian league
Posted via RS Mobile
There's been a whole thread on that, you're about a year too late. The rules for it have changed. Not sure about if/what the restrictions are now though.
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Everytime Quebec is in the news, its either... or

But la belle province ain't all bad. The women there...
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,283 Times in 2,503 Posts
So not only is the Quebec Premier Pauline Marois a disrespectful separatist, she is also a blatant racist.

My goodness... how do people like this ever rise to power?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
So not only is the Quebec Premier Pauline Marois a disrespectful separatist, she is also a blatant racist.

My goodness... how do people like this ever rise to power?
If you aint white and speak French they don't care about you. I've had white friends deal with so much racism because they couldnt speak French it's pathetic...
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,308 Times in 5,630 Posts
It's not really Quebec VS the rest of the world because I believe they are following in FIFA's archaic footsteps, they have a similar rule in place and that's their justification in implementing their own I think
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
If you aint white and speak French they don't care about you. I've had white friends deal with so much racism because they couldnt speak French it's pathetic...
Having travelled to Quebec (the province) as a tourist numerous times, I absolutely *love* the province. Again as a tourist (non-white and extremely poor HS French that can barely get me through ordering a meal), I haven't personally felt any kind of racism in the province at all. People in Hull were snobs when I was trying to muster some very broken French, but Montreal is such a pleasant and metropolitan city that I find it hard to believe racism can maintain a strong footing there. Quebec City and Trois Riviere didn't leave me with any bad impressions as far as racism is concerned, but I have certainly come across a bunch of separatist morons in Quebec City...
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
IMO it is possible for a decision to be made that coincidentally affects a minority group, without it being motivated by racism. If a white guy said he wanted to wear something on his head while he played soccer in Quebec, I'm sure the answer would also be 'NO'.

For the record, I don't support the decision by Quebec Soccer, I believe turbans,etc.. should be allowed to be worn and the decision should be reversed. However, I think it's unfair to accuse the officials of being racist, they are probably trying to make the sport fair and possibly think heading the ball with a turban may give an advantage or be a safety issue.

Just my 2 cents
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
I like it when people talk about how a whole group of people are racist. The world nearly implodes from the irony.
I understand their justification for the restrictions. An extra 3 inches on someones head provides an extra 3 inches to smash a ball in the net, but that being said, as a developed nation, we cant exclude people for religious beliefs/dress for something so trivial. It blows my mind that grown adults, that are appointed to run any organization can be so short sighted that they would believe this is worth trying to hold on to.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I like it when people talk about how a whole group of people are racist. The world nearly implodes from the irony.
I understand their justification for the restrictions. An extra 3 inches on someones head provides an extra 3 inches to smash a ball in the net, but that being said, as a developed nation, we cant exclude people for religious beliefs/dress for something so trivial. It blows my mind that grown adults, that are appointed to run any organization can be so short sighted that they would believe this is worth trying to hold on to.
Cry more. Religion should stay separate from all other things. Sports are about everyone being on equal footing ( or heading? ).

Look at that! Nobody wearing turbans! AMAZING!
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
I'm not crying you fucking idiot, I'm not even bitching. I just think its pointless to fight this while the whole world thinks they look like fucking idiots. Besides, we are talking about some local soccer in Quebec. Its not the world cup. Fifa can do what they want, and it can be separate than a canadian province making Canada look stupid.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It's not really Quebec VS the rest of the world because I believe they are following in FIFA's archaic footsteps, they have a similar rule in place and that's their justification in implementing their own I think
Posted via RS Mobile
FIFA has no problems:

—- Forwarded message ———-
Date: Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM
Subject: RE: Banning of Religious Headgear in Quebec, Canada
To: Raghav Sandhu <***********@********.*****>

Dear Sir or Madam,

Under law 4 of the laws of the game it is stated that any equipment apart
from the basic equipment shall be examined by the referee and be considered
as not dangerous to be allowed on the field.
Official Documents - Laws and Regulations - FIFA.com

FIFA lifted the ban of wearing hijabs or turbans, as well as the Canadian
Soccer association did. Therefore, as the Quebec Football Federation lies
under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Soccer Association, please contact
them directly in this regard:
Canada on FIFA.com - FIFA.com

Thank you for your understanding and interest.

Kind regards,
Communications & Public Affairs Division
FIFA – Fédération Internationale de Football Association
Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) - FIFA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
IMO it is possible for a decision to be made that coincidentally affects a minority group, without it being motivated by racism. If a white guy said he wanted to wear something on his head while he played soccer in Quebec, I'm sure the answer would also be 'NO'.

For the record, I don't support the decision by Quebec Soccer, I believe turbans,etc.. should be allowed to be worn and the decision should be reversed. However, I think it's unfair to accuse the officials of being racist, they are probably trying to make the sport fair and possibly think heading the ball with a turban may give an advantage or be a safety issue.

Just my 2 cents
Are these banned:

Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I don't personally know anyone that wears a turban, but I find it hard to believe that a turban could afford any sort of benefit to a soccer player. Yes, it gets the player some extra height, but given that the turban is essentially just cloth wrapped on top of a bundle of hair, I can't see how it would be hard enough to given the player any sort of benefit in effectly heading the ball. The extra height means nothing if the turban has enough give to it that it can't do an effective deflection.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
Cry more. Religion should stay separate from all other things. Sports are about everyone being on equal footing ( or heading? ).

Indian Football - Sunil Chhetri - YouTube

Look at that! Nobody wearing turbans! AMAZING!

Harbhajan Singh bowler for India's national cricket team.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
I don't personally know anyone that wears a turban, but I find it hard to believe that a turban could afford any sort of benefit to a soccer player. Yes, it gets the player some extra height, but given that the turban is essentially just cloth wrapped on top of a bundle of hair, I can't see how it would be hard enough to given the player any sort of benefit in effectly heading the ball. The extra height means nothing if the turban has enough give to it that it can't do an effective deflection.
Yes but what's to stop Adidas from coming out with a soccer turban specially made to make headers more effective.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

Harbhajan Singh bowler for India's national cricket team.
We're talking soccer here... Also, you're previous examples are just forehead protectors aka. safety equipment.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPoola View Post
Yes but what's to stop Adidas from coming out with a soccer turban specially made to make headers more effective.
If that were to happen, then every player worth their 2 cents would jump on the accessory, making it ubiquitous and the playing field would be level.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
I don't think that's the point.
Turbans in particular are pretty big compared to a "naked" head.
It will affect the game in ways that it shouldn't be, regardless if it's advantageous or not.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #22

Quote:
If that were to happen, then every player worth their 2 cents would jump on the accessory, making it ubiquitous and the playing field would be level.
I doubt Ronaldo would don a turban that would hide his pretty hairdoooo
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
I don't think that's the point.
Turbans in particular are pretty big compared to a "naked" head.
It will affect the game in ways that it shouldn't be, regardless if it's advantageous or not.
And that begs the question -- is that "affecting the game" more important than the religious discrimination being placed against the turban-wearing players?

From a universal value's perspective, I think it is more important to avoid that discrimination. FIFA, the world's top soccer governing body, agrees as well.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
how very French of Quebec (france banning religious head garb in schools)

they should fall in line with CSA/FIFA rules
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #25

Turban or no turban. A person with hair down to his but is going to have to do something with it. Tying your hair in a bun and covering it with a cloth should not be illegal when playing soccer.