REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Filco Majestouch Keyboard?

Looking to pickup a Filco Majestouch (Ninja MX Red) from NCIX

I don't know much about mechanical keyboard...but I stumbled upon the filco red switch in-store once and totally felt in love with it..
The keyboard just felt SOOOO BUTTERY SMOOOOTH....
But the $160 price tag kinda drove me away... lol
Well...they are on sale this week for $130, so I am thinking of picking one up (Still very expensive for a keyboard, but for something I use 8 hours a day I guess it is kinda worth it?)

Before I go make the purchase, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any experience with them. (Especially after 1-2 years)
I figure if I am paying $130+tax for a keyboard...I don't want anything that gets worn out and break-down after 2-3 years..

Also...is there any other options I should consider beside filco? (Mostly interested in the red switch...I tried the blue/brown switch but don't really like them much)
Advertisement
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
I am grateful grapefruit

The Red Switch is just a lighter variant of the Black switch.

The Black/Red swiches are Linear switches (there's no bump that you feel when you press the key)

The Blue switches are tactile (they have a bump in it), and and are clicky

The Brown switches are tactile but don't click audibly.

The Red/Black switches are great for FPS's, but aren't great to type with - but that really depends on what you prefer yourself.

NCIX started carrying Ducky keyboards as well - I think they're at a much lower price point, but still have all the good bits. Mechanical keyboards are meant to last much, MUCH longer than conventional cheapo keyboards, so you don't have to worry about that. They're also easy to repair, should you need to.

Ducky DK2108 Zero Red Switch 108 Keys ABS Keycap US Layout Mechanical Keyboard

on sale for $90 right now
Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

I've been using the filco ninja mx black for almost a year now. No complaints so far.
Posted via RS Mobile
Hide625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Who's naughty? I___i

Mechanical keyboards should last a lot longer than your regular keyboards. I got the logitech g710 for mix of typing/gaming and it uses the brown switches, loving it.

Ducky was on my list but it wasn't available locally. Filco is made in japan iirc and Ducky is made in Taiwan perhaps that's why filco costs more than the ducky?
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Year as Gars said, it really depends on what you are looking for. I have the old Razer Ultimate Stealth (cherry brown) at work and at home. It was plenty loud for the work environment (but not as much as the cherry blue). It worked well in gaming also (though I have not tried the ones with red switches.

And yes, mechanical keyboards should technically last longer.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Corsair K70 is great (though a bit pricy). Great brushed aluminum finish in black, cherry mx black switches. gf just bought one yesterday. I have the K90 and it's also great!
Taxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote