REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,202 Times in 7,174 Posts
Sentencing for Captain's killer today. Animal lovers outraged.

How can such violent psychotic behaviour be downplayed like this? Animal cruelty laws here are out of hand. Its no secret I'm an animal lover, probably more so than the average person, but this is insanity.
Brian Whitlock, Captain The Dog's Killler, Sentenced To 60 Days
Quote:
Brian Whitlock has been sentenced to 60-days in jail for beating a dog with a baseball bat and leaving him for dead in a Vancouver dumpster.

Whitlock was also given three years probation and a lifetime ban on owning pets by a judge on Wednesday, CBC News reported.

Inside the courthouse, animal rights activists were shocked to hear the length of sentence he was given, their reaction prompting the judge to threaten to clear the court, reported CKNW.

Earlier this year, Whitlock pleaded guilty to the fatal beating of Captain, his German shepherd. Captain was found wrapped in a blood-soaked blanket in a pile of garbage in July 2012.

Whitlock’s lawyers blamed the incident on mental illness during a sentencing hearing last week, saying that Whitlock thought Captain was poisoned after the dog started behaving strangely after a meal.

As a result, Whitlock decided to“put him out of his misery”, reported the National Post.

Whitlock will also receive credit for the time he has already served and could be released in as early as seven days, News 1130 Radio reports.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
I don't get it

This is crazy.
Posted via RS Mobile
butter_sashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
not gonna lie....i'm shocked he was even given 60 days...

did anyone really think our justice system would do any different?

my expectations were low and we should get use to this shit.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

I hoped for the best because of the high profile nature of the case that he would be made an example of. I guess not though. The contradictory nature of someone getting off of a violent crime due to "mental illness" and then being released back into society without any mandatory and extensive treatment is the most troubling issue.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
The dog lover in me says "what 60 days only "??

But realistically, what this guy needs is a bit of punishment in terms of jail time, but more so, treatment to make sure he doesn't do this against humans.

I'm a dog lover myself, but emotions aside, it was just a dog. In some countries, dogs are treated like rodents.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,694 Posts
That's so messed up...
So instead of taking the dog to a vet, he decided to put it down, with a bat??

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 06-12-2013 at 06:07 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Fucking piece of shit.

Hope karma gets him.

Rip doggie.. ='(
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
The dog lover in me says "what 60 days only "??

But realistically, what this guy needs is a bit of punishment in terms of jail time, but more so, treatment to make sure he doesn't do this against humans.

I'm a dog lover myself, but emotions aside, it was just a dog. In some countries, dogs are treated like rodents.
Posted via RS Mobile
We aren't some countries. We are canada. The way people see a dog in Cambodia (just for the sake of example, no idea how they actually treat dogs there specifically) has no effect on how we do here. We aren't talking about killing a dog suffering on the side of the road with a quick knife to the throat or lethal injection. We are talking about beating a living COMPANION to death with a bat. Slow, painful torture. I agree the treatment part is important, but so is punishment, and honestly, he will get/has gotten neither.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by westopher; 06-12-2013 at 06:42 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
well, maybe we can take solace in that fact that everyone will know this fuckers name.

If a rioter's life can be ruined, imagine what will happen to this guy...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
^^I doubt the fine folks at the puppy mill will turn down his cash...
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I tip my hat to the honorable judge David St. Pierre. Well done sir.

Quote:
And strong words from the judge to the community — scolding those who threatened Whitlock after his arrest.

He also questioned why courtrooms are often empty when it comes to crimes involving people, notably children — but in this case, it’s been full.
Man who beat 'Captain' the dog gets jail time | News1130
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
We aren't some countries. We are canada. The way people see a dog in Cambodia (just for the sake of example, no idea how they actually treat dogs there specifically) has no effect on how we do here. We aren't talking about killing a dog suffering on the side of the road with a quick knife to the throat or lethal injection. We are talking about beating a living COMPANION to death with a bat. Slow, painful torture. I agree the treatment part is important, but so is punishment, and honestly, he will get/has gotten neither.
Yes and no. Don't get me wrong, I love my pets and would do everything I can to make sure they're treated as well as possible. However, at the end of the day, they are "just" an animal, not a human. Look at how lax some of the punishments that are doled out when it comes to humans killing other humans. There have been some pretty damn laughable sentences, and not in the far off past either. And in the eyes of the law, a pet's worth will almost always be considered a distant second when compared to a human's life whenever a judgment is handed out. I'm actually genuinely surprised that this guy got as big of a punishment as he did. I figured he'd be given a fine, and maybe some supervised community service (perhaps working with the SPCA).
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #13

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
That's so messed up...
So instead of taking the dog to a vet, he decided to put it down, with a bat??

No, that's his lawyer trying to make an excuse to justify his actions. The truth is he's a sadistic fuck but that defense doesn't work so well. It's no different then the riot broad saying she was going to get medication when she got busted heading to the club after her curfew.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,769 Times in 708 Posts
I think a lot of people are taking this way too personally. If you look at this objectively, 60 days in jail isn't that unreasonable.

Sad as it is, it was still just an animal being harmed, not a human. We classify dogs and cats higher on the compassion scale because they live with us, play with us, and die for us. But, I think the judge was looking at this objectively.

A prime example is a girl in my high school that had two or three chickens as pets. She LOVED those chickens and she didn't eat chicken. She advocated about abandoning eating chicken and she actually hated people for eating chicken. She was known as the crazy girl who got in heated arguments when people that would defend their love for eating chicken. She even had a protest in our cafeteria because we would serve chicken nuggets.... And thinking back on that, I wish I wasn't so ignorant to her.

That being said, could you imagine giving someone 60 days in prison for taking a bat to a chicken and leaving it in a dumpster? But, I guess you could argue that a dog is more intelligent than a chicken, and because of that a dog should be held to a higher standard.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,829 Times in 2,513 Posts
at least he got a lifetime ban on owning animals.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
I bringith the lowerballerith

There is a saying, you can tell how developed a country is by the way they treat their animals.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
reminds me of the short blurb i read about this news in the VS

Quote:
On Wednesday, provincial court Judge David St. Pierre scolded people who threatened Whitlock after his arrest and questioned why courtrooms are often empty when people, especially children, are victims of crime.

Read more: Crown seeks up to six months in jail for Kitsilano man who left dying dog in dumpster
people are just more vocal about animal cruelty than other crimes
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
People are upset about 60 days in jail?

Upset?

Dude, I'm f'ing surprised. It's a dog. Yes, its cruel, and he's a wackjob...but its a dog. People have gotten less of a sentence for doing things to people.

Get the crying women off the damned tv.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
-1 month house arrest for being drunk and killing a motorcyclist and leaving the scene
-2 months for dog assault/murder
-11 months for killing a pedestrian and leaving the scene
-15 months in jail for being drunk, killing someone, moving their body and having your car fixed after the fact to hide it
-40 months in jail for protesting logging
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,385 Times in 3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
People are upset about 60 days in jail?

Upset?

Dude, I'm f'ing surprised. It's a dog. Yes, its cruel, and he's a wackjob...but its a dog. People have gotten less of a sentence for doing things to people.

Get the crying women off the damned tv.
i think you're shooting for a slap from dino later today
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote