REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Unleash your inner illegal parking narc with new app (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685206-unleash-your-inner-illegal-parking-narc-new-app.html)

PeanutButter 06-13-2013 03:55 PM

Unleash your inner illegal parking narc with new app

Unleash your inner illegal parking narc with new app - The Globe and Mail

Pretty much an app that allows you to take a picture of the parking violation and it sends it to the authorities or ticketing agency.
They are also considering giving a portion of ticket amount to the person who sent in the violation, sort of like a commission..

I can see this getting out of hand. What do you guys think?

Company website
http://www.spotsquad.ca/

Spoiler!

Slifer 06-13-2013 03:57 PM

:denied::heckno:

Ch28 06-13-2013 04:03 PM

I'd rather have the proceeds go to charities. If they allow people to make money off of this, you're going to get people that just drive around town hunting for them haha

Spectre_Cdn 06-13-2013 04:11 PM

http://i55.tinypic.com/25yvkvp.jpg

I never narc'd on NOBODY

dangonay 06-13-2013 04:37 PM

Great idea for some things. Someone parked 2 feet past a sign? Shouldn't be a ticket. I see lots of people (assholes) pull into handicap spots when they're clearly not handicapped or don't have a handicap sign in their car. Those fuckers deserve a ticket.

And money should go somewhere useful, not the general city fund.
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 06-13-2013 04:40 PM

They should make a douche bag drivers app..

Gridlock 06-13-2013 04:49 PM

Big week for privacy.

Fuck, now we can turn each other in right from our phones for bonus cash!

Soundy 06-13-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 8260103)
I'd rather have the proceeds go to charities. If they allow people to make money off of this, you're going to get people that just drive around town hunting for them haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 8260117)
Great idea for some things. Someone parked 2 feet past a sign? Shouldn't be a ticket. I see lots of people (assholes) pull into handicap spots when they're clearly not handicapped or don't have a handicap sign in their car. Those fuckers deserve a ticket.

Look at it this way: if a lot of people start doing this, enforcement won't have TIME to deal with all of them... which means they SHOULD prioritize on the fuckers that really deserve it, over the ones that's it's a grey area.

Driving around all day for work, I see LOTS of asshole parking jobs - I would SO use this app!

Like this idiot:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...72d9e7a39b8675

El Bastardo 06-13-2013 08:11 PM

Citizen surveillance? No thanks

Gridlock 06-13-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 8260250)
Citizen surveillance? No thanks

Next stop?

thoughtcrime!

FARMER 06-13-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8260136)
Spoiler!

LOL the guy even has spikes on his wheels as if to say, "Come at me bro." :D

saveth 06-13-2013 10:31 PM

I don't see a problem with a truck that size taking up two spots.
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 06-13-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saveth (Post 8260351)
Posted via RS Mobile

A friend of mine - a WOMAN at that - has a truck that size, and has NO problem fitting it properly into a single parking space.

These trucks aren't too big, the drivers are just too lazy. Or assholes.

Or both.

Nlkko 06-13-2013 11:48 PM

it's a small car lot though.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-14-2013 12:44 AM

if there's money to be made, it will be made.

FerrariEnzo 06-14-2013 12:59 AM

we have a section already here.. I will just send in those pics.. LMAO!

anyways.. I can see this getting out of hand... what if people start photoshopping cars parking illegally.. LMAO.. wow...

StylinRed 06-14-2013 01:07 AM

exactly ppl will just figure out a way to send in old pictures or pictures they snap off of computer screens ;) etc etc it wouldn't work

SupraTTturbo2jz 06-14-2013 01:18 AM

thats why ppl key cars

lgman 06-14-2013 01:31 AM

The shitty drivers thread has tons of video and pictures of shitty drivers doing dangerous shit. The crown corporations won't take any as evidence nor act on it.

Government + Evidence = Not good enough.
Private + Evidence = Fat kid on cake!

MTV Cribs 06-14-2013 04:35 AM

I'm going to make 10 different identities so I can take 10 slightly different pictures of each illegal parking I see. I will be rich :D

I can see the authorities say you didn't take that picture first and then not pay you a portion of the ticket.
Posted via RS Mobile

dachinesedude 06-14-2013 08:12 AM

someone would make a killing out of this just roaming Richmond alone

fliptuner 06-14-2013 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by saveth (Post 8260351)
Posted via RS Mobile

O'rly? I think my 5T's a bit bigger and I don't have a problem fitting in the lines.

Either learn to park or park farther away, simple.

wingies 06-14-2013 09:03 AM

Oh yea I am so down for this! But not for making money, just for getting these owners ticketed/towed. I live where street parking is scarce and I've seen FOBS parallel parking on the other side of the street facing the wrong direction, Ive also seen ppl parking in front of fire hydrants all ove rthe place

stewie 06-14-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8260359)
A friend of mine - a WOMAN at that - has a truck that size, and has NO problem fitting it properly into a single parking space.

These trucks aren't too big, the drivers are just too lazy. Or assholes.

Or both.

f450's are huge and wide, ive parked them in the lines before, you gotta be anorexic to get out of the doors if your parked beside another car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8260429)
exactly ppl will just figure out a way to send in old pictures or pictures they snap off of computer screens ;) etc etc it wouldn't work

but if your sending old photos, when the parking patrol guy gets there and theres no car there, you wont make money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8260506)
O'rly? I think my 5T's a bit bigger and I don't have a problem fitting in the lines.

Either learn to park or park farther away, simple.

but your 5t is still taking up two spots.... does it really matter if the two spots are behind/infront or two spots beside each other?? im sure his truck can just as easily fit just like yours...and he probably would have as well if he could. probably just wasn't enough free stalls to do it. your truck may be longer, but whats more of a pet peeve/annoying, taking up two spots on an angle, or his truck in 1 spot with his tailgate sticking 2-3 feet into the stall behind him, only for someone to still complain about his parking...or to have his tailgate at the back of the line with his front end sticking into the lane? its a no win situation for that truck.

if it were me, im not parking down the street just so I don't offend someone. i'll park in the lot I shop at. if theres enough room for me to park, and enough room for other cars to park, then they can quit complaining. the only way I would EVER park outside of the designated lot, is if I was at Costco/superstore/metrotown when its an extremely busy time...Christmas..boxing day etc..times when I know parking like that would be inappropriate...THEN I would park further away/outside of the mall parking lot, or go with someone else so I can fit in 1 spot

fliptuner 06-14-2013 09:22 AM

There was a car behind me when I parked. Only reason I didn't park as far forward as the Mazda, was out of consideration, so anyone stopping at the sign could still see cross traffic without going past it.