REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Need advice on cutting aluminum square extrusions

hey guys, I have some 25 mm aluminum extrusions bars that i need to cut to size. (just straight cuts chopping the bar, no angles) I went to home depot and they have these cutoff wheels for metal.

Diablo 12 in. x 1/8 in. x 20mm Metal Cutoff Blade-DBD120125G01F at The Home Depot

They also have this much more expensive blade
Freud | FREUD 7 1/4 In. Metal Cutting Blade - 48 Teeth | Home Depot Canada for cutting metal.

Which blade would be better for my purpose? The blade will have to fit on a table saw because that is the only cutting tool I have.

Thanks for the help and any safety tips would be appreciated!
Advertisement
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I would to a welding supply shop and look at aluminum cutting wheels. The second one says specifically for Ferrous metals/steel. I would go to like a flea market or on craigslist and look for a chop saw. You don't want to use the table saw for these kind of work as it can easily come out crooked or bend the aluminum. Better to fasten down the workpiece and move the tool than the other way around. Bring those extrusions with you and they will recommend the best way to cut it.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
how may cuts?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Would the first blade work though if I was really careful?
I should have mentioned that the bars are of this type http://img4.fastenal.com/productimages/0956827.jpg

thanks for the advice, having the workpiece fasten down does make more sense. lol
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
how may cuts?
I think maybe about 30 cuts because some of the rods need to be trimmed due to poor existing finishing.(The extrusions used to be part of some cage)
I was hoping to cut some to as sort as 10 cm without it warping.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
it's aluminum which is super soft, i don't see why a vice and a hacksaw wouldn't be good enough for your needs, any power tool is overkill, those blades are really meant for chop saws and not table saws, sometimes the best solution is the simplest and safest solution
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
You can use wood cutting tools on aluminum. Tablesaw, chopsaw, router etc. For a few pieces any wood blade and some wax will do. Safety glasses.

I would cut it in this order milling machine, chopsaw, radial arm saw, bandsaw if you want a nice edge. Any abrasive type of cutting is garbage in my opinion.

You can do it on your tablesaw with a technique that will take too long for me to describe.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
it's aluminum which is super soft, i don't see why a vice and a hacksaw wouldn't be good enough for your needs, any power tool is overkill, those blades are really meant for chop saws and not table saws, sometimes the best solution is the simplest and safest solution
hmm...... I will try that tomorrow to see how it goes. From my past experience with a hacksaw, I am not confident I will be able to cut it very straight. The new pieces will have be butted together in a T shape, and I need it to be perfectly perpendicular. I was hoping a mechanical saw would be able to cut better square edges.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
You can use wood cutting tools on aluminum. Tablesaw, chopsaw, router etc. For a few pieces any wood blade and some wax will do. Safety glasses.

I would cut it in this order milling machine, chopsaw, radial arm saw, bandsaw if you want a nice edge. Any abrasive type of cutting is garbage in my opinion.

You can do it on your tablesaw with a technique that will take too long for me to describe.
what do you mean by wax on the wood blade? I tried to search up that term on google, but I couldn't find any relevant information. Does your cutting technique have a name so that I may look it up?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
You can get cutting lubricants in a wax like stick. Then rub the wax wherever you are going to cut on the aluminum. I remember using some green stuff made by walter I think. Or a9 aluminum cutting fluid is crazy stuff too.

After seeing your extrusions forget about the table saw method. I wouldn't do it myself unless it was a last resort so I'm not going to recommend that method.

Also don't use a fiber type wheel like the first one as they can clog with aluminum then you will push harder on the saw and then the wheel will shatter and go through your cheek.

If you have 25 to do and need a square edge I would just go to a railing shop close to closing time with a case of beer.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
You are going to lose fingers. Possibly an eye.

listen to sdubfid...he wants to keep you intact.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

Havent read thread... but I cut my aluminum with a wet tile cutter.... if the pieces are thick, you may not want to have your face and neck exposed incase the blade breaks.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
Havent read thread... but I cut my aluminum with a wet tile cutter.... if the pieces are thick, you may not want to have your face and neck exposed incase the blade breaks.
Interesting. I never would have thought of that.

Now I kind of want to try it.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
25mm is pretty small for aluminium extrusion. You don't want to use a table saw with those because of the torque may make pieces go flying.

Are the extrusion part of a T slot setup? If so, hand saw or cutting lubricant eg with a cold cut saw will not distort the slots.

Use a handsaw if you want to be safe.

If you have to cut a lot of cuts. Use a $20 CT grinder, gloves, clamps AND full face mask. Mark the Al with plenty of leeway and grind away.

Either way, I hope you have a sander to finish the cut. Tip: score a metal line on your final dimensions (don't just rely on sharpie etc).
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
hmm...... I will try that tomorrow to see how it goes. From my past experience with a hacksaw, I am not confident I will be able to cut it very straight. The new pieces will have be butted together in a T shape, and I need it to be perfectly perpendicular. I was hoping a mechanical saw would be able to cut better square edges.
Use a square and mark all the way around the stock to ensure squareness when using a hacksaw.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote