REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
I don't get it

Petroleum Engineer vs Electrician

Hey everyone,

I was looking into heading back to school and finally pursuing a full time career. I was interested into pharmacy and electrician and petroleum engineering as well. However, I do not have much background info on it, but I was wondering if there were any of you out there that can give me more information on it such as pros/cons and how much schooling is involved to finish the degree

any advice or information would be much appreciated thanks !

Advertisement
604dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

those are 3 very broad and different career paths.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Have you ever considered brain surgery or rocket science? I think you have the drive to do it
Old 06-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Petroleum Engineering: NAIT | Petroleum Engineering Technology
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Pharmacists and Pet. Engineering requires a lot of schooling.

Electrician, to the best of my knowledge, requires a technical type of degree which has fewer years than Pharm and Engin.

Oh yeah, Pharm and Engin requires a lot of understanding on Math and the sciences.

Pharm and Engin will earn you more in the long run and even when you start out.

For electricians, when you start out, you begin as an apprentice (to the best of my k nowledge) and work your way up.

Once you become a "master" electrician (I think it is called "master"), you can own your own electrician business and manage other electricians.

For salary sake, go for Pet. Engineering because there is a lot of upside potential.

For pharmacy, you basically become a pharmacist and then assistant manager, and then manager at a particular store.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #6

if you want to head to the moon with some extra terrestrial knowledge compared to most people, take engineering

and yes u need a strong math and science background. if not, but you are willing to hit the books, then the best time to start is now

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #7

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I would choose electrician for these reasons:
-you are not limited to one area geographically
-you get paid well to learn
-you don't have to do 4+ years of straight school only a few months all together
-If you find the right job you can start as an apprentice over 100k a year with overtime
-I have seen journeyman rates as high as $55
-Potential for side jobs or starting your own business

4 years to become electrician potential 400k+ income
4 years for a degree potential 40k in debt

it's your future, invest some time into researching your options
Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #8

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I would say if you do plan to become an electrician and want one of those higher paying jobs, be prepared to move out of the lower mainland. I'm sure there are some companies that pay decent wages in the lower mainland, but whether or not they have consistent hours throughout the year for all of their employees I cannot say.

Or if you do want to own your own small business starting out, be prepared to bust your ass working 12+ hour days doing all of your own paperwork and manual labor if you do get work. There are a lot of other businesses out there so it will be very competitive I know people who have tried and unfortunately said failed. It can be very hard going into some more expensive jobs when you have to put your own money into materials before getting paid. Just imagine having to put all your money floating around in materials on a project that you haven't yet been paid for!

I have been working for almost 10 years and am still trying to figure out which route I want to ultimately end up in.

Out of all of the trades I would have to say electrical requires the most schooling... while other trades can require less schooling and make just as much if not more.

There are good things about the job and I do enjoy it and I really like working with my hands. I am not trying to discourage you, but don't expect to rich. It's possible of course, but not every electrician will make a lot.

Side jobs can be a good source of extra money.
Yes, you get paid to learn. Schooling is cheap and you can go on EI at the same time if you saved up enough hours.
Once you get your red seal you can work anywhere in Canada and possibly internationally with the right experience.

Last edited by Matlock; 06-22-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
I deal with Petroleum Engineer's all the time and honestly they drive me crazy. Ya they have that degree but they are way to narrow minded most of the time. They make all that money and I have to tell them the right pump/equipment to use so the system works effectively.

Stick with an electrician, way more options then being a Petroleum Engineer.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

soo random

have you looked into where you would go and the wait list (if any) cause I would think that should be something you factor in as well.

I would deff go with Electrician as that was originally my plan as well until I found there was a 2 year wait list at the time
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
RS Lurker, I don't post!

If you want to know how much a petroleum engineer makes out in Alberta. PM me if you have any questions.

http://www.apegga.org/pdf/SalarySurvey/VPS2012.pdf
Banff_Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

one of my buddy's son just got into the ibew in alberta. apparently their rate is 44 dollar an hour compare to bc's 38 dollar an hour. if you feel like going to school for awhile pick pet engineer. if you feel like working getting experience do electrical. i worked in the burnaby refinery as electrician. but you definitely have to go out of town for jobs.
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote