REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Obesity now officially a disease (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685444-obesity-now-officially-disease.html)

tarobbt 06-20-2013 12:25 PM

Obesity now officially a disease

Obesity now recognized as a disease - Health - CBC News

Quote:

In order to fight what it described as an "obesity epidemic," the American Medical Association has voted to recognize obesity as a disease and recommended a number of measures to fight it.

The association voted on the measure Tuesday at its annual meeting in Chicago. The AMA noted that obesity rates in the United States have "doubled among adults in the last 20 years and tripled among children in a single generation" and that the World Health Organization, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Internal Revenue Service already recognize the condition as a disease.

According to "F as in Fat: How Obesity Threatens America's Future 2012," a study released by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation in September last year, adult obesity rates in 2011 exceeded 30 per cent in 12 U.S. states. The study projected that "if rates continue to increase at the current pace, adult obesity rates could exceed 60 per cent in 13 states, and all states could have rates above 44 per cent by 2030."

In 2010, Statistics Canada reported that 19 per cent of males and 21 per cent of females aged 20 to 39 years were classified as obese. By age 60 to 69 years, the percentage was about one-third.

The Canadian Medical Association said Wednesday that while it doesn't officially label obesity a disease, it is recognized in the medical community as such.

"The real question is how we treat it," a spokeswoman said in an email to CBC News. "This is why we need to transform our system for better management of chronic conditions."

The CMA suggested physicians and other health professionals work with their patients to reduce obesity through education, proper nutrition and regular exercise.

Obesity is associated with a variety of diseases, including Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and some cancers.

The AMA's recommendations accompanying the vote included urging physicians and insurance companies to "recognize obesity as a complex disorder," encouraging national efforts to educate the public "about the health risks of being overweight and obese."

The AMA also recommended the creation of National Obesity Awareness Month to highlight the benefits of exercise and to warn about the risks of obesity.
Hope it doesn't happen here, you can say bye bye to the medical system

Presto 06-20-2013 12:32 PM

First-world problem. :fuckthatshit:

b0unce. [?] 06-20-2013 12:36 PM

It's always been a disease as far as I'm concerned.
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 06-20-2013 12:37 PM

It really is and especially in the states. I think it's a very smart move and hopefully it will help some people get help with it.

snails 06-20-2013 12:38 PM

i hate the fact that they call it a disease... now people have an excuse and will blame it on the "disease" rather than their poor health and lifestyle choices!

SpeedStars 06-20-2013 12:42 PM

I see this as they're trying to scare overweight kids. Think about it. Grade 3, you're overweight and thus the world says you've got a disease. O SHIT, then u get the courage to get buff and get all the LGs. Great tactic.
Posted via RS Mobile

melloman 06-20-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8264579)
i hate the fact that they call it a disease... now people have an excuse and will blame it on the "disease" rather than their poor health and lifestyle choices!

Agreed.

Being obese is not a disease. It is a life choice that people choose. Whether they have other disabilities that hinder a healthy lifestyle, or they are just flat out lazy, I don't consider it a disease.

fliptuner 06-20-2013 12:51 PM

I think there's only a small percentage of people who are obese, based on genetics.

Proof, look at pictures from pre-1950.

Whether they choose to call it a disease or not, the problem remains the same.

Yodamaster 06-20-2013 12:52 PM

Choosing to sit around and eat everything is not a disease, obesity stems from taking advantage of the negative convenience that comes with modern society. If we still had to chop down trees for houses and hunt animals on our own to survive, obesity would be almost non existant, because it is not a disease.

The_Situation 06-20-2013 12:55 PM

lol at calling obesity a disease. Now fat people can use this excuse. "I can't help that I'm fat, I have a disease"

Gazorcoop 06-20-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Situation (Post 8264598)
lol at calling obesity a disease. Now fat people can use this excuse. "I can't help that I'm fat, I have a disease"

Saw it on the news yesterday and thought the exact same thing.

Ulic Qel-Droma 06-20-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

it's a disease of the mind, which leads to the disease of the body.

Hondaracer 06-20-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yodamaster (Post 8264594)
Choosing to sit around and eat everything is not a disease, obesity stems from taking advantage of the negative convenience that comes with modern society. If we still had to chop down trees for houses and hunt animals on our own to survive, obesity would be almost non existant, because it is not a disease.

Was going to make this point

It's more of a social problem than it is a personal choice especially in backwards places in the states etc where people have shit jobs no money and 5 kids it's cheaper to eat at McDonald's every night than it is to buy chicken breasts and vegetables
Posted via RS Mobile

Gridlock 06-20-2013 01:26 PM

I don't really care what you call it.

You want to label it a disease? Label it a disease. I don't really get it when they call addiction a disease either. I mean, I'm assuming that's where this is coming from...an addiction to bad food.

I'm just more interested in seeing something that can be done to stop or prevent it. You can say its lifestyle, you can say its choices...whatever. My main concern is kids that are coming up in this thinking that its normal not to eat broccoli.

El Bastardo 06-20-2013 01:29 PM

Our food has certainly changed in the last 50 - 60 years and we are probably only now seeing how that food has an effect on our bodies. Since the introduction of HFCS in the 70s that stuff has been introduced to everything. While it MAY share some of the blame, folks need to take personal responsibility for their behaviors.

Obesity is a disease in the same way that addiction is a disease. A self control problem with a lack of willingness to change their behavior.

Gaining weight is easy and terrible food tastes so good. Looking good is hard work so I'm not surprised that some folks wanted to see "obesity" added to the DSM. I think its inappropriate and an easily avoidable "disease".

Don't want the HIV? Don't lay down with prostitutes. Don't want the jumbo ass? Put down the fried chicken.

Pot calling kettle black? No. Just a perspective from someone who hasn't always been a big man and won't always be one.

Lomac 06-20-2013 01:33 PM

Personally I think the majority of obesity problems are caused solely by not exercising and unhealthy meal choices. Hell, I eat like crap all the time and I'm still in relatively good shape (not overweight, decent blood pressure/cholestoral levels, etc) because I keep myself active. However, I do accept the fact that there genuinely are some people out there with other diseases that cause obesity.

I'm curious what sort of treatment they'll start using now that it's considered a "disease..."

CharlesInCharge 06-20-2013 01:53 PM

The system subsidizes unhealthy food which will reach the poor and lower classes, specially the ones on food stamps... and in turn will result in the pooling of the families monies to temporarily save them from health complications and further bankrupt assets/inheritance. These condition also feed the menial work force, a volunteer soldier force, and the elimination of seniors on the economy.
If we wanted to start with the basics, the flawed food pyramid which encourages too much wheat, meat and dairy should go.

twitchyzero 06-20-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

there will always be people making excuses for their health problems (ie I'm not fat just big-boned or I'm so stressed so I must continue smoking)

most of which should not affect you as an individual...let them live in their lies.

El Bastardo 06-20-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8264642)
The system subsidizes unhealthy food which will reach the poor and lower classes, specially the ones on food stamps... and in turn will result in the pooling of the families monies to temporarily save them from health complications and further bankrupt assets/inheritance. These condition also feed the menial work force, a volunteer soldier force, and the elimination of seniors on the economy.
If we wanted to start with the basics, the flawed food pyramid which encourages too much wheat, meat and dairy should go.

I agree with everything in this post :fulloffuck:

Sushi604 06-20-2013 02:35 PM

Stuff like this reminds of some certain documentaries I watched in the past. Ones such as this.

dinosaur 06-20-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8264614)
Was going to make this point

It's more of a social problem than it is a personal choice especially in backwards places in the states etc where people have shit jobs no money and 5 kids it's cheaper to eat at McDonald's every night than it is to buy chicken breasts and vegetables
Posted via RS Mobile

No way, dude. It is was more expensive to eat McDonalds on a daily basis. This isn't a money problem, it is a laziness issue. This is my biggest annoyance.

YES, it is more expensive to eat organic, some exotic fruits, or out of season produce, but you can't tell me feeding 5 kids mcdonalds nightly is a better deal.

Saving money and feeding a family on a budget takes HARD WORK and planning. Pre-cooking meals, freezing food, buying bulk, buy chickens with bone and having to de-bone them, etc.

I grew up on a budget and to save money, my family would can and jar produce to save money. We ate left-overs, never wasted food, and ate basic nutritious dinner and nothing exotic, etc.

I hear people say pop is cheaper than juice (which, lets face it, isn't any better), but do you know what is free? water. If people have problems affording healthy food, try the food bank.

I don't like this issue being labelled as a disease. It removes any ownership in the problem. Also, are people going to start going on disability? Are my tax dollars going to pay for someone to sit home and eat?

Soundy 06-20-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8264710)
I don't like this issue being labelled as a disease. It removes any ownership in the problem.

Nailed it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8264642)
These condition also feed the menial work force, a volunteer soldier force, and the elimination of seniors on the economy.

Right, because fat, sweaty dudes make a GREAT fighting force.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/attachment.ph...2&d=1290761207

Geoc 06-20-2013 03:17 PM

Oh great, now that obesity is classified as a disease, I wonder what implications regarding diet pills and the FDA regulation around it.

Looks like big money is going the pharm's in the future. Health insurance underwriters are going to have a field day with this.

I guess doctors can now prescribe diet pills to fat people.

godwin 06-20-2013 03:19 PM

Even just genetics there are myriads of reasons, genes need to be activated etc. Also there is the new field of the bacterial flora in one's gut that also plays a role, so antibiotic use which kills all the gut bacteria, tends to cause obesity...

It is not as simple as "just" genetics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICE BOY (Post 8264591)
I think there's only a small percentage of people who are obese, based on genetics.

Proof, look at pictures from pre-1950.

Whether they choose to call it a disease or not, the problem remains the same.

fliptuner 06-20-2013 03:24 PM

True but the fact remains, if people were more active and ate better, this wouldn't be such a big issue.