REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Alberta underwater!

Can't believe nobody's posted about this yet.

Quote:
News1130 @News1130radio
Due to widespread flooding parts of Calgary are being evacuated. Ppl are asked to find shelter and to be prepared for the worst.

View Screen Capture
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
More details:

Calgary communities evacuated as flooding prompts state of emergency | CTV News (video in link)
Quote:
Mandatory evacuation orders have been issued for six Calgary communities along the Elbow River, as parts of southwestern Alberta face rising river waters and prepare for the possibility of more rain to come.

Residents in Mission, Elbow Park, Stanley Park, Roxboro, Rideau and Discovery Ridge are being evacuated immediately, the city said in a statement released Thursday afternoon. “Residents are encouraged to find shelter with family or friends for the next 72 hours minimum,” the statement said.

Reception centres have been set up for residents who can’t find alternate accommodations at the Southland Leisure Centre and the Acadia Recreation Complex. Members of the Calgary Police Service and the Calgary Fire Department will be going door to door in the affected communities to notify residents of the evacuation order. As well, Calgary Transit is on standby to help residents who cannot leave on their own.

Residents in the evacuated communities will not be allowed back after 3 p.m. Thursday, the statement said. Calgary is one of several Alberta communities to issue a state of emergency as surging waters grip the region.

Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for parts of southwestern Alberta, forecasting up to 100 millimetres of rain in the next two days.
During a news conference Thursday morning, Director of Calgary Emergency Management Agency Bruce Burrell said current data indicates the flow rate will likely exceed the rate reached during the floods of June 2005.

Calgarians are being warned to stay away from river banks and creeks and move their valuables to higher levels in their homes. Officials said during the news conference that the city’s drinking water is unaffected by the flooding.

Residents are encouraged to continue checking the city’s website and Twitter account for updates on the evacuations.

Search underway for 2 missing adults

Earlier on Thursday a search was launched for two people believed to have been swept into a river south of Calgary.
Cam Heke, of the STARS air ambulance agency, said the agency received reports of the missing adults after their trailer went into the Highwood River, south of the town of Black Diamond.
Crews did an aerial search of the area for about 40 minutes before returning to Calgary to refuel, he said.
He said STARS has a number of other calls to attend to, including a medical emergency near Rocky Mountain House.

Communities face critical alerts
As of 1 p.m. local time, the following Alberta communities were facing critical alerts:
Turner Valley, Hazardous Materials Alert: Residents are being warned of the release of sour gas from a pipeline containing around one per cent hydrogen sulphide. Residents have been instructed to stay indoors and prepare for a possible evacuation. Alberta Energy Regulator staff are on site and continue to work to contain the leak.

Lethbridge County, Flash Flood Alert: An evacuation order has been issued for residents living in the Oldman River valley. An evacuee reception centre has been set up at the County Administration building.

High River, High Water Alert and Flash Flood Alert: Residents are directed to go to the emergency evacuation centres at Highwood High School and the Tom Horneker Recreation Centre in Nanton.
Black Diamond, Overland Flooding Alert: Due to localized flooding, residents west of 1st St SW are being evacuated to the reception centre at Oilfields Arena. Residents are asked to conserve water.

Municipal district of Foothills No. 31, Flash Flood Alert: A mandatory evacuation has been issued for Foothills residents who live close to rivers, creeks and streams in the region. Residents are advised to seek shelter, as there is a risk of being swept away in the current.

Residents can check the Alberta Emergency Alert website for updates.

State of emergency in Canmore

In Canmore, about an hour’s drive west of Calgary, residents have been forced to leave their homes and others have been put on notice to prepare for a possible evacuation as a torrential downpour hit the town. An emergency centre has been established for residents at the local civic centre.

The power is out in various locations across Canmore and authorities say the rain has caused Cougar Creek to overflow and flood Highway 1A. As a result, traffic on the highway has been closed at Cougar Creek in both directions. The Trans-Canada Highway has also been closed at Cougar Creek.

Town spokesperson Sally Caudill said a number of motorists had to be rescued by helicopter overnight due to the floodwaters.
"We had about 20 or so people on the highway ... who got stuck ... (when) water covered the highway in two places, so we used a helicopter to get those folks out,” she said.
Authorities are also concerned that a pedestrian bridge over the creek is at risk of falling. Video and photos from the scene showed the rising creek waters gushing under the bridge.

The town’s website advises all residents to stay away from the creek, as its banks are unstable. A mudslide has reportedly shut down all traffic on Highway 1 about 40 kilometres east of the town. The RCMP is now turning all traffic in the area around and said the closure could last for several hours. Two other mudslides have also cut off traffic in other locations: one on Highway 40 and another near Banff. All public schools in Canmore and neighbouring Banff have been closed, authorities said.
Flood waters lead to mandatory evacuation order in low-lying areas of Calgary

Quote:
Residents in low-lying areas of Calgary are being told to leave their homes as flood waters rise.

Officials are going door to door in six communities to order people out and assist them to higher ground.

Residents are being warned they could be out for at least three days.

Calgary and most of southern Alberta are being hammered by rain that has washed-out roads and bridges, caused mudslides and closed major highways.

The affected Calgary communities are: Mission, Stanley Park, Elbow Park, Roxboro, Rideau and Discovery Ridge.
Calgary braces for flooding, orders communities evacuated - Canada - CBC News (video in link)

Quote:
Residents in several low-lying communities in Calgary have been ordered to leave their homes due to heavy rains, floods and the potential of high river flows.

Evacuations from areas along the Elbow River were ordered for six communities: Mission, Elbow Park, Stanley Park, Roxboro, Rideau and Discovery Ridge. Those areas are being evacuated immediately, with Calgary police going door to door telling people to leave.

Residents are being encouraged to find shelter with family or friends for the next 72 hours minimum. Reception centres have been set up for those who cannot find places to go.

City officials have warned that the magnitude of the flood could be worse than that of 2005.

A state of emergency has been declared in Calgary and several other communities in Alberta .

Calgary activated the city's municipal emergency plan late Thursday morning, in anticipation of the heavy flows in the Elbow and Bow rivers reaching the city.

The city also opened its Emergency Operations Centre, where key personnel from city business units and external groups such as Enmax, Atco and Alberta Health Services gather to support front-line responders. It serves as the city's multi-agency command centre for large-scale emergencies.

The decision to launch the centre was made based on the potential severity of incoming high river flows in combination with expected heavy rainfall.

The city has begun to implement its flood response plans and is deploying sandbags and temporary dams at key locations.

In Longview, Alta., about 85 kilometres south of Calgary, near Longview, the RCMP searched for two adults in the rain-swelled Highwood River after their trailer became submerged.

State of emergency declared in Canmore
Meanwhile, heavy rain also prompted officials in the mountain town of Canmore, about 100 kilometres west of Calgary, to declare a local state of emergency after the banks of a creek that runs through the community became unstable.

About 40 homes were evacuated at 2 a.m. MT on Thursday when the banks of Cougar Creek were deemed unstable, Canmore Mayor John Borrowman said.

“The situation is actually bad and getting worse,” he said. “Now some of the smaller creeks are starting to flood.”

The evacuees were taken in at the town’s civic centre and at two local hotels.

Other residents are being alerted to be ready to move if necessary.

High River, about 70 kilometres south of Calgary, also declared a state of emergency early Thursday morning after the Highwood River started overflowing its banks.

The hamlet of Bragg Creek, 44 kilometres west of Calgary on the edge of Kananaskis Country, is also in a state of emergency as the Elbow River surges over its banks.

Just downstream, residents of the townsite of Redwood Meadows were told they should leave their homes and use northbound Highway 22 to get out of the area. Townsite administration manager Pat Evans said the water is higher than it was during the last big flood in 1995.

In southwest Alberta, parts of the Crowsnest Pass are being evacuated because of high water levels.

Sour gas well rupture
In Turner Valley, southwest of Calgary, a sour gas wellhead ruptured at the same time as the town dealt with fast-rising flood waters in the Sheep River.

Turner Valley Coun. Barry Williamson said the pipeline was struck by river debris, adding that an evacuation was ordered for residences in the area.

The rupture caused a release of sour gas containing hydrogen sulfide (H2S) — a colourless, flammable gas that smells like rotten eggs — but officials have said the risk is now contained. Air quality monitoring at the point of the rupture isn't detecting dangerous sour gas levels.

Shit is getting crazy.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
Wow, that is crazy

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

INB4 someone posts "Gee, I thought the thread title was ALBERTA UNDERWEAR"
Quote:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

There was flooding in Fort McMurry before... any video of the poisonous tailing ponds draining into the river?
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
There was flooding in Fort McMurry before... any video of the poisonous tailing ponds draining into the river?
Why don't you check with PressTV? I'm sure they have hundreds of cameras set up around streams around Ft.Mac just waiting for that shit to happen.
Quote:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Yes it was a state of emergency here last week. Kind of blown out of proportion in my opinion. Multiple days of rain here are like -1 in Vancouver. Extreme weather warning!!! Make no mistake it wasn't caused by mother nature. It was caused by the powers that be as a part of the master plan.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Well its one hell of an environmental and human hazard just to feed the war machine for world domination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Why don't you check with PressTV? I'm sure they have hundreds of cameras set up around streams around Ft.Mac just waiting for that shit to happen.
Can I get my fail button back for this post... just because I dont have the same main stream sheepmedia views as most people, it doesnt mean I should be deprived to give members fails!
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
You are a moron CiC. It would take more then 40-50mm of rain to cause tailings ponds to over flow. Your stupidity is face palm worthy.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Pretty crazy, hopefully it turns for the better soon then later.

Canmore flood: Pictures, videos of Alberta floods threatening Calgary | Canada | News | National Post

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
my boss at works bro in law ran out his back door not being able to grab a thing it hit so quick. His house is completely under and he lost everything

murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
I was actually wondering about this myself when i read alberta underwear
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Wow, this story made front page of CNN>

Calgary flooding could force up to 100,000 from homes - CNN.com

By front page I meant cover story of the front page.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
the end is near

Spoiler!
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
^ that was unnecessary.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Glad i drove home from Calgary on Wednesday and not Thursday. The weather was miserable We had sever thunderstorm warnings for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday along with tornado warnings. I took highway 1 all the way here and noticed many creeks running high and fast so i had a feeling shit was going down.

The city of Calgary is apparently asking for people with boats over 50hp to help with rescuing people and they will pay for the fuel. My dad called in and volunteered to help out with his 430hp twin supercharged seadoo boat. He said he is just waiting for a callback
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #17

Dono if these 2 links work
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=465346863551803
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151479342706003

* here is more
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200119623145295
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=560100984028813

Global has some good pics, So glad im home and not stuck Somewhere :S Hope others are safe aswell
http://globalnews.ca/news/657735/roa...hern-interior/

Last edited by Prolowtone; 06-21-2013 at 01:30 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
^ those links worked for me. The helicopter footage really gives you a better perspective of the flooding.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #19

View Screen Capture

Alberta floods: Officials warn worst is yet to come in Calgary | Canada | News | National Post
Quote:
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Worst is yet to come? Jesus fuck..........I have a few friends out there, hope they are doing ok!
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
save the cat!

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I need to drive to Regina next weekend. The best and my usual route brings me through Canmore (welp) and Calgary (welp).

Think HWY3 is the next best option or I5 and I90 through the states better?

Or will things be business as usual in a week?
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
should drive through the states anyway for the cheaper gas
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
G
Banned (BBM)

The Saddledome in Calgary is currently flooded to the 10th row lol. Downtown Calgary is entirely shut down too.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #25

^ i was just texted that it is up to 14th row now:S