REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Korean Barbecue vs Japan Yakiniku

May I know what is the differences ?
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Grilled meat is grilled meat.

I could be wrong, but with Yakiniku, I think eating offal (organs and bits and pieces) is more common than your typical korean bbq.
Also, I think yakiniku has more respect for the charcoal grill?
Old 06-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
One is from Korea, other one is from Japan.

Your welcome.

Korean BBQ tend to predominantly use pork meat. When beef is used, is usually high quality cuts of beef for those special events. + less emphasis on vegetables grilled.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Best part of Korean BBQ that Yakiniku doesn't have: wrapping your BBQ meats in bite sized lettuce bundles (ssam), with kimchi, garlic, rice, etc.

It's claimed the present style of Yakiniku is derived from Korean BBQ restaurants that opened in Osaka and Tokyo around 1945, accommodating Korean style BBQ to Japanese tastes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakiniku

The difference between Korean BBQ and Yakiniku in Vancouver:

Korean BBQ will commonly have lettuce (ssam) to wrap your meat, and side dishes (banchan) such as kimchi, sweet potato, bean sprouts, etc. The dipping sauce will likely be ssamjang (chili pepper and fermented soybean), and meat could be marinated in typical Korean flavours like that of sweet bulgogi, or spicy gochulchang (chili pepper).

In Vancouver, Yakiniku will seldom come with included side dishes (but sides can be ordered), and the meat is meant to be eaten on its own. Included dipping sauces are usually oil with salt and pepper, a soy based one, or a miso type. Marinades could be a typical Korean style sweet bulgogi, or miso, and more commonly unmarinated in Yakiniku than Korean BBQ.

The lines are blurry in Vancouver as many Yakiniku here are Korean owned, and they include some Korean items on their menu. Conversely, many Korean BBQ restaurants here have Japanese items on their menu due to popularity.

Last edited by jlo mein; 06-22-2013 at 08:49 AM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
Best part of Korean BBQ that Yakiniku doesn't have: wrapping your BBQ meats in bite sized lettuce bundles (ssam), with kimchi, garlic, rice, etc.

That's the only difference I know of... I assumed they were pretty much the same until I had it in Korea last week.

To me that's the only real difference. Personally I prefer it just with rice.. The taste of simple grilled meat can rarely be improved upon, IMO.

Also in Japan it's more about beef and Korea is more pork, but maybe that's just what I noticed anecdotally.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
To me that's the only real difference. Personally I prefer it just with rice.. The taste of simple grilled meat can rarely be improved upon, IMO.

Also in Japan it's more about beef and Korea is more pork, but maybe that's just what I noticed anecdotally.
The lettuce helps cut the grease/fat and allows you to eat more without that greasy feeling.

In Korea, pork is more commonly eaten due to cost. Beef is still wildly popular but it's an expensive meal. For pork BBQ (usually pork belly, called samyeopsal) I typically paid ~$10/person. Beef BBQ would start around ~$15/person and would rise much higher.

For perspective, boxed sets of raw butchered beef ready for BBQ are considered extravagant and desirable gifts in Korea.

Last edited by jlo mein; 06-22-2013 at 09:07 AM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: