REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #51
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Isn't latex made from sap of rubber trees natural?
Not after it's been chemically processed to become rubbery and meet flame retardant standards (thanks to smokers who often burn their house down when falling asleep with a lit cigarette).
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #52
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i bought a tempur pedic. it gives off some fumes. doesnt really bother me but some research pulls up some scary shit. please advise. contemplating returning

Last edited by m4k4v4li; 03-24-2016 at 10:18 AM.
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

bump
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #54
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,103 Times in 5,001 Posts
Yup you're gonna die. Tens of thousands of people are killed every year by their mattress fumes... when will society learn. So many unexplained deaths historically... but finally someone on Facebook figured out why and shared it with their friends enough time that it became "fact" and someone else posted up fragmented pieces of a virtually unverified scientific article proving it too! Thank goodness for that!
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Buying a new King with frame ASAP, what are my options guys... couldn't get much from this thread, mostly a discussion about mattress fumes, heh

I like a firm mattress, I'm not looking to cheap out as I understand how important good sleep is, but I'm also not looking to get ripped off..... I suppose a good warranty is important as well, what's the standard for quality mattresses a 10 year I believe ??
I also like those thin box springs as well that are like 3 inches thick, as opposed to the normal ones that are as thick as the actual mattress itself

thanks in advance
Old 10-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #56
Banned (ABWS)

I would recommend the hotel mattresses. You can order it directly from the manufacturer in Burnaby. You just have to contact serta canada and they'll hook you up. It's cheaper than the store.

I personally bought the Hilton bed and it was perfect for me.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #57
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Haha wow way to dig up an old thread...but at least you didn't start a new one

When I bought my mattress, I just went to Sleep Country and tried almost every one. I decided price wasn't going to affect my decision, because really, you spend a third of your life in bed, quality sleep is important.

I ended up getting a Sterns and Foster, apparently a $2500+ bed for $1500 all in with frame etc. At the time I went with their free financing, which actually helped me out. They just break the cost into 12 payments over a year. Not a bad deal.

But if you read the fine print you get penalized bad if you're late on a payment. And Capital One tries to latch on to you in every way possible when you're done paying for the bed; just told them to fuck off.

But not a bad option if cost is a concern to you. Just buy the most comfortable bed regardless of cost, that's my advice. We spend thousands on our cars on this site without a blink of an eye, yet haggle over a sub-$5k object that we spend more time in than said cars.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #58
Circle Stick Square Mod

i bought a tempurpedic, i just slept in a spare bed for a 2 days and left the window open to let the "gases" escape. my mattress does not release any gases anymore and its comfy as well, bought a new pillow as well..

one thing you should not do as well.... cheap out on a pillow.

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

!Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #59
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #60
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Yea I didn't want to start a new thread, no point since there was already one started....

I'm not really trying to spend 5 grand though, but not trying to spend a grand either.... i guess for a frame and matress set no more than 2 grand or around there... i think there should be good quality deals for around that price no ??
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #61

Yeah, I think that's a good price range. It's worth going to a few places though, so you know what your money's getting you.

Also the pillow is important. I have a tempurpedic pillow, was like $200+, but man my neck feels great in the morning.
1986 Porsche 944, Black
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #62
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
My wife and I just bought a new mattress, and we ended up buying from Sleep Country.

I had bought my last mattress from there as well, but decided to shop around. I found Sleep Country was very good at helping me narrow down my search as to what mattresses we were trying out.

We ended up getting a Kingsdown mattress and it has been amazing. We spent a bit more than we planned, but it was worth it.

Sleep Country also price matches, but unlike a lot of retailers were the products have to be exactly the same, it doesn't matter with them. It just has to have the same coil count, etc and they will find you something comparible, and beat their price. Tough to argue with that.

Good luck! And make sure you lay on any mattress you're thinking of buying for at LEAST 10min. You might feel weird, but it's important.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #63
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
+1 sleep country. if you're a returning customer they will try to work out a deal with you too.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #64
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
if you're on a budget and trying to find a good deal, check out the liquidator guy(the dude with the tv show) in burnaby. his warehouse is full of hit and misses. hes hundreds of mattresses for extremely cheap prices. has sealy serta etc. its all overstock items or stuff he buys from businesses that are closing out and he knows the store needs to get rid of them, so he buys them for cheap to get them off their hands.

ive been in his store hundreds of times. sometimes you can snag 9 piece bedroom sets for under 1000$, couches for 4-600$, rugs, appliances, sports memorabilia, etc etc

if your on an even tighter budget and can only afford a cheaper mattress. check out costco. they have memory foam mattress tops, and let me say, my brother has one, and when im at his place and lay on his bed when im tired. that thing is COMFY. they're around 150$ for a queen size. add an extra 50$ for a memory foam pillow and your in heaven.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #65
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
when im at his place and lay on his bed when im tired. that thing is COMFY.
Edit:

nvm.......... I thought it was glow posting this..............
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #66
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Our bed needs to be replaced. It became, painfully (literally), obvious we needed a new mattress after coming back from our Vegas trip. Our hotel bed was super comfy, and coming back to, what I thought was, a still decent mattress, made me want to cry. I'll be checkin' out the liquidator guy. We just need a mattress!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #67
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
shop around at different sleep country's....

we liked this optimum sealy posturepedic, king size that was retailing for 2300$, that wasn't on sale

we shopped all 3 sleep country's in richmond, this was their best prices

ironwood- $1800
lansdown- $1500

bridgeport -$ 1050.. Lol

also bought aquagel pillow 10/10 best pillow
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #68
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
The Bay carries Marshall mattresses now and they were recently on sale for a 50% discount, i believe, you guys looking to buy should enquire about getting the recent sale price

MARSHALL | Mattress Sets | Mattresses & Bed Frames | Home | Hudson's Bay
(the price online includes a box spring you don't need to buy that if you have a suitable frame)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #69

Since i moved out, i did a bunch of research on the mattress industry
and yes, you will be paying a huge premium shopping at those most well known brands. and they set outrageous prices

I myself just bought a 300$ queen size memory foam top with foam base. From amazon US.

start here: The Mattress Underground - Your best source for information on mattress brands, materials, and choices
you will need to spend a couple hours here. but hey, its fucking worth it, how many hours of your life will you be sleeping on your mattress you just bought?

armed with this new knowledge, i walked into just one mattress retailer in a mall. threw some questions and some terms out at the saleswoman. then by judging from her body language and verbal response, i could tell she didndt know what the fuck she was talking about. case in point: if you walk into a store unarmed, these salesman are mostly just salesman. it will take some hunting to find a salesman who actually is knowledgable.

you have to do your own homework though. start with that site i listed

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #70

btw, sleep cuntry will most likely rape you financially. probably scar you mentally as well

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #71
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Been thinking about getting a new mattress as well. We briefly had a pocket coil I paid $2g for and it had worn out in about 7 years, now we're using an older Posturepedic continuous coil that was our spare room mattress.

Anyways, it is almost time to replace and my boss told me about an auction house in Coquitlam that always has mattresses that they sell for about 50% of what they are in the stores: lougheed auction

I haven't gone by there yet, but even his wife called me to say that it is worth checking out before buying somewhere else. You can buy the mattresses anytime, you don't need to wait for auction day.
Zedbra is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #72
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I was really happy with my pillow top Sealy mattress, but in january I got a king size bed, looked around a bunch and eventually picked up a Sealy memory foam mattress.

All I can say is it was some of the greatest money I ever spent.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #73

Thanked 2,718 Times in 690 Posts
I spent $1600 for my sterns and foster pillow top from sleep country.
I love the bed, it was amazing and I hate getting up in the morning because it's so comfy. However, it has started to make a body crease in the bed. It's like a mini crater where I usually sleep. This has recently caused me a lot of back pain because the indent is like a couple inches and I guess that's affecting my spine.

For that reason alone, I would only buy a mattress from Costco. My best friend bought a mattress from costco and he loves it. I think my next mattress will be from costco because of the return policy or get a mattress without a pillow top.

If you look up pillowtop mattress, this is a common problem.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #74
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I love the bed, it was amazing and I hate getting up in the morning because it's so comfy. However, it has started to make a body crease in the bed. It's like a mini crater where I usually sleep. This has recently caused me a lot of back pain because the indent is like a couple inches and I guess that's affecting my spine.

For that reason alone, I would only buy a mattress from Costco. My best friend bought a mattress from costco and he loves it. I think my next mattress will be from costco because of the return policy or get a mattress without a pillow top.

i actually got my mattress from costco. box spring and pillow top, queen, damn good price, extremly comfortable. ive had lots of people sleep in my bed when im not home (cousins, aunts or uncles who come over on a friday have a few drinks, im not home, so its free game).

highly recommend. price was extremely amazing for what you get.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post

This is starting to happen to me too. I have a Stearns and Foster pillow top, going on 8 years now. Already that's time for a new mattress, but can't afford it right now.

Because it's pillow top you can't flip it, but you can rotate it. I always sleep on the same side of the bed, so two opposite corners of the bed are dented in, and the other corners are fine

So when the gf stays over she is forced to fall into me

It is incredibly comfortable, but I think I'm starting to get back issues. I wonder if we bought the same mattress?
1986 Porsche 944, Black