REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Healthy cereal (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685506-healthy-cereal.html)

etodac 06-22-2013 11:52 AM

Healthy cereal

There are a few brands of cereal like Qia and Holy Crap and I don't know whether they are actually as good as they seem. Anyone done some research on them before and have some recommendations?

jeedee 06-22-2013 11:55 AM

Vector or Fibre One are good choices

ShadowBun 06-22-2013 12:54 PM

^ I find these special K not bad

snails 06-22-2013 12:58 PM

go get yourself a box of granola, some dried rasins/cranberries and then put it ontop of anything you generally like to eat! pretty much makes any cereal amazing

van19 06-22-2013 01:40 PM

Kashi is a pretty good brand

saucywoman 06-22-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etodac (Post 8266014)
There are a few brands of cereal like Qia and Holy Crap and I don't know whether they are actually as good as they seem. Anyone done some research on them before and have some recommendations?

I like natures path, contains no gmo and organic
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 06-22-2013 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
also, pay attention to the serving size. most people will fill their bowl without realizing they are eating 2-3 servings. Natural granola with dried fruits and nuts can actually be pretty high in calories.

you may also want to use almond milk (regular unsweetened) instead of cow's milk. it add a lot of great taste to natural cereals.

although...if you want something really healthy and about as natural as you can get...regular old made-on-the-stove portage is the best. You can add what you want to it and not worry about additives. If you want something a little sweeter, it is better to be in control of what and how much you add rather an unknown amount of HFCS. And fresh or fresh frozen fruit is always better than whatever dried sugary nuggets come in the boxes.

This is my fav breakfast:

Oatmeal (made old school style)
Pomegranate arils (picked out myself)
1\4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp or lessof brown sugar

Attachment 17521

it is DELICIOUS!

hal0g0dv2 06-22-2013 08:54 PM

most boxed cereal has so much sugar in it even the "healthy kinds "
try and stick with oat meal and add coco nut oil for some taste

Shades 06-22-2013 09:21 PM

Dorset. It's not cheap.

LC21 06-22-2013 09:30 PM

Try sex cereal.
Posted via RS Mobile

unit 06-22-2013 10:16 PM

i do like holy crap but its hard to call it cereal.
its expensive and not particularly filling, but is super good for you.

Marshall Placid 06-22-2013 10:46 PM

Jordan's Cereal:

Particularly the
1- chocolate crisp (70% cocoa)
2- Maple or HOney Nut

All of them are very crunchy.

Nismo200SX 06-23-2013 03:52 AM

GMO free, artificial sweetener free, high fructose corn syrup free, gluten free are all a good start to a health cereal.

Minto 06-23-2013 03:48 PM

Can't go wrong with plain oatmeal or Cheerios with fruits. You can use almond or soy milk for flavor and a bit of sweetness too.

Cassijon 06-23-2013 10:50 PM

my health cereal(s) of choice is

Kashi Go Lean

or

Kashi Go Lean Crunch.

use Almond milk for added nutrients and antioxidents. also adds more taste to the cereal

sevewone 06-27-2013 04:26 PM

Define "healthy" . They only real nutritional value would be the Fiber in the least sugary brands.

Everyone is saying Almond milk as well, personally I think its bullshit and more expensive than regular skim. I use Skim and I definitely don't think it tastes much different and I LOVE THEM HORMONES IN THE MILK:rolleyes:...

Matlock 06-27-2013 04:42 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...kieCrisp08.jpg :troll:

Steel cut oats with milk. Maybe brown sugar if you want to go fancy.
I hate cooking the stuff though, it takes way longer than "instant" oats. Have to boil the crap out of it.

Other wise I sometimes treat myself with Vector or Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Not sure how healthy the stuff is but they taste good. Unfortunately, when I eat too much they tear up my mouth pretty good. Rough stuff.
I don't like buying cereal. I probably end up eating 4 servings in place of one. Then the box is gone.

Tapioca 07-03-2013 09:59 PM

Oatmeal (for me the equivalent for 2 servings), a pinch of brown sugar, and some 2% milk is more than enough to start your day.

I enjoy Vector from time to time too, but, it still contains quite a bit of sugar.

FI-Z33 07-03-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 8269899)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...kieCrisp08.jpg :troll:

Steel cut oats with milk. Maybe brown sugar if you want to go fancy.
I hate cooking the stuff though, it takes way longer than "instant" oats. Have to boil the crap out of it.

Other wise I sometimes treat myself with Vector or Kashi Go Lean Crunch. Not sure how healthy the stuff is but they taste good. Unfortunately, when I eat too much they tear up my mouth pretty good. Rough stuff.
I don't like buying cereal. I probably end up eating 4 servings in place of one. Then the box is gone.

Try making overnight oats :)
Put milk and greek yogurt with oats and your choice of nuts, seeds or fruits...brown sugar or honey, you name it. Let it soak overnight in the fridge and youre good to go next morning!
Posted via RS Mobile

Gumby 07-04-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shades (Post 8266281)
Dorset. It's not cheap.

+1 for Dorset. Goes on sale at London Drugs occasionally, and that's when I stock up!

bcedhk 07-04-2013 09:02 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l5...quuyo1_250.jpg
:sweetjesus:

Shades 07-04-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 8274078)
+1 for Dorset. Goes on sale at London Drugs occasionally, and that's when I stock up!

How much? It was 7 bucks at LD when I got it and it only lasted me 3 days.

subordinate 07-04-2013 05:06 PM

Saddens me when I see this sugary crap sell like hotcakes, seeing overweight kids.

Cereal ain't cheap either. For the price of a regular sized box, you can get enough Oatmeal to last a LONG time. But I digress, Oatmeal is outdated & "bland"

Manic! 07-04-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8274386)
Saddens me when I see this sugary crap sell like hotcakes, seeing overweight kids.

Cereal ain't cheap either. For the price of a regular sized box, you can get enough Oatmeal to last a LONG time. But I digress, Oatmeal is outdated & "bland"

You need to check this out. Healthy Oatmeal | MyOatmeal.com

Oatmeal you Customize.

dlo 07-04-2013 09:55 PM

SPECIAL K STRAWBERRYS FTW