REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

How to fight a ticket?

So last night I got a ticket for unsafe lane changing, the officer said I didn't have my signals on but my friend saw me use them (I changed into in front of him) anyways I've never fought a ticket before so I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips.

much thanks appreciated
Advertisement
adevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #2

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Dispute it in a court?

What else...
Old 06-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Go to ICBC.
Tell them that you want to fight the ticket.
Have all of your evidence ready (ie: make sure your friend is willing to go to court for you).
File a request for officer's notes and all related evidence (did the officer have a dash cam recording that incident?).
????????????
Profit
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Go to ICBC.
Have all of your evidence ready (ie: make sure your friend is willing to go to court for you).
File a request for officer's notes and all related evidence (did the officer have a dash cam recording that incident?).
????????????
Profit

Thanks will do tomorrow
if my friend is not able to make it to the date is a signed written description of what happened good enough?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
It will most likely have to be a notarized testimony, but the officers here will probably be more helpful in terms of what will be helpful re: why he can't come to court.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
just request for an adjournment?
witness not being able to make it is a good enough reason.

also your friend can attend via phone.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

There is more to "unsafe lane change" than just not signalling. Is that the wording on your ticket? Read the section for which you were charged under the motor vehicle act to better understand what it is you are alleged to have done wrong. Also, you are required to keep your signal on before initiating the lane change and all the way until you have fully completed the lane change (think back to your road test).

Depending on where the matter is to be heard, your friend may have to appear in person.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Turning your turn signal on does not magically grant you power to force others to permit you to change lane. You cannot interfere with outher traffic either. If the other vehicles do not change their driving to accomodate you, then you must wait until it is safe. Mirror, signal, side mirror, blind spot....then if it is safe you may start to change lane.

Like sho said, if you have a witness then they will very likely have to appear and be subject to cross examination by the Crown when their testimony is given.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #9

he has no proble with coming im just worried in case its booked when he is at work or is busy, but the officer said that I failed to use lights when I did
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #10

What is the charge written on the ticket? Thats what matters, moreso than what he said roadside, because that is what must be proven in court.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by sho_bc; 06-26-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Go to ICBC.
????????????
Profit
I can just go to the Motor vehicle branch to dispute my ticket? got one the other week and the officer told me he forgot to put my plate number down on purpose so I will get off when I dispute it...

Why even write me a ticket in the first place then
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #12

The plate not being written down isnt essential/needed for a conviction.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I can just go to the Motor vehicle branch to dispute my ticket? got one the other week and the officer told me he forgot to put my plate number down on purpose so I will get off when I dispute it...

Why even write me a ticket in the first place then
Going to the Motor vehicle branch to notify them you are disputing is the first step. You still have to attend court. What might happen is the officer will have the ticket returned to him, making your ticket void...

As for the OP, unsafe lane change means a lane change that isn't safe. If it was strictly failing to signal, there is a section for infraction. If you were given an unsafe lane change ticket, he probably observed you changing lanes which was unsafe for a number of reasons, including

- almost colliding with another vehicle

- doing so in an erratic manner

- failing to signal while doing all or one of the above

A lot of drivers will have their signal on but is activated too late or deactivated too early... There are specific infractions for those as well.

Anyways, if you feel like you were wrongly charged, go ahead and dispute it, it is your right, but without your friend's testimony, it will be your word against the officers.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote