REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #351
My homepage has been set to RS

Speaking of Hodgson...

Quote:
Sabres Fielding Offers For Hodgson?

© Dan Hickling Could the Buffalo Sabres being listening to offers for Cody Hodgson? According to sources close to the situation, the Sabres and Hodgson are still far apart on a new contract for the pending Restricted Free Agent, and Buffalo will listen to offers for the young center. The team is not shopping him, but wants to keep options open in case a deal can’t get worked out...

Sabres Fielding Offers For Hodgson? | Yardbarker.com
Cody is probably wanting some big cash. All the rumours around him make me glad we got rid of him - not because he's not a good player, but just because of all the off-ice distractions.

Dat game against Boston, though, was unreal.
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #352
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I don't fully follow the reluctance to trade within your own division. Realize if you're making the right trade, there's just as much a chance of the players you're getting to burn the other team a new asshole. Given the salary cap, buyouts, all of this crap which is making it hard to move Lu, you make the best possible hockey trade possible at this point and trade with whoever is willing to give you the best return IMO.

You can trade a Cam Neely to a team outside of the conference even and that trade can still come back to bite your ass 20+ years later in the SCF.
return for him!
Just wait till Schneider is the reason we get knocked out of the playoffs in a couple seasons (if he gets traded interdivision/interconference). It'll be a shitfest all around Vancouver. Not to mention we'll play a shitload of games against him if it happens.

No GM will be reluctant to move his players if the return is great (and fits the teams needs to a certain extent). If it gives us a bigger chance to "win now" then yeah I'd totally agree with that but GMMG pretty much put himself in a position that could have been avoided.....Schnoo shouldn't be even on the trade block and this wouldn't have even been mentioned

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ

Last edited by Not really racist!; 06-29-2013 at 08:00 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #353
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Darren Dreger: Edmonton Oilers willing to pay premium for Cory Schneider. The expected price is the 7th overall pick and Vancouver really wants a top young center.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #354
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Just wait till Schneider is the reason we get knocked out of the playoffs in a couple seasons (if he gets traded interdivision/interconference). It'll be a shitfest all around Vancouver. Not to mention we'll play a shitload of games against him if it happens.

No GM will be reluctant to move his players if the return is great (and fits the teams needs to a certain extent). If it gives us a bigger chance to "win now" then yeah I'd totally agree with that but GMMG pretty much put himself in a position that could have been avoided.....Schnoo shouldn't be even on the trade block and this wouldn't have even been mentioned

There's a lot of being scared a single player traded away will come back and haunt you, I feel like we as canuck fans are particularly vulnerable and insecure. So what if Schneider and the oilers maybe knock us out in the future? Just means that they as a team are better than we are, and its hard to be as bad as the oilers for so many years while stock piling high first round picks and still not be a good team despite the promise and potential.

What if Schneider turns out to bomb in his first season of a true full 60 game workload playing behind a non existent oilers defense? Or the pick and prospect we get in return end up developing into a toews and kane?

Gmmg got screwed by some bad timing imo. Luongo's contract sucks much more now than with the old cba under which it was negotiated. The past shortened season allowed many more teams to stay in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline leading to less trade potential. Buyouts allow teams to pick up good guys with bad contracts for free, which some are hoping lu will fall under. None of this is mg's fault. Had mg traded Lu for a 2nd round pick right after the kings knocked us out, everyone would have been up in arms about giving him away. Tomorrow, I doubt Luongo even gets back a 2nd rounder.

Schneider should have been on the trade block the moment Lu signed his 12yr deal, where mg screwed up was keeping Schneider and developing him as far as he did to maximize the return, to the point where he became a better starter option than Lu.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #355
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
There's a lot of being scared a single player traded away will come back and haunt you, I feel like we as canuck fans are particularly vulnerable and insecure. So what if Schneider and the oilers maybe knock us out in the future? Just means that they as a team are better than we are, and its hard to be as bad as the oilers for so many years while stock piling high first round picks and still not be a good team despite the promise and potential.

What if Schneider turns out to bomb in his first season of a true full 60 game workload playing behind a non existent oilers defense? Or the pick and prospect we get in return end up developing into a toews and kane?

Gmmg got screwed by some bad timing imo. Luongo's contract sucks much more now than with the old cba under which it was negotiated. The past shortened season allowed many more teams to stay in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline leading to less trade potential. Buyouts allow teams to pick up good guys with bad contracts for free, which some are hoping lu will fall under. None of this is mg's fault. Had mg traded Lu for a 2nd round pick right after the kings knocked us out, everyone would have been up in arms about giving him away. Tomorrow, I doubt Luongo even gets back a 2nd rounder.

Schneider should have been on the trade block the moment Lu signed his 12yr deal, where mg screwed up was keeping Schneider and developing him as far as he did to maximize the return, to the point where he became a better starter option than Lu.
That's one interpretation of it.

GMMG isn't a victim of bad timing. He's a victim of his own miscalculation and poorly playing his cards. Wasn't it last year his statement was he was holding out on current Luongo offers because the offers wasn't high enough and would wait for the "right offer?"

There's a reason why Luongo isn't getting any interest even in the slightest, and we'd be fools to think that this is solely because of his contract. We would just as equal a fool should we dismiss why Corey is commanding higher returns right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #356
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,412 Times in 5,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
im pretty sure that was common knowledge.
Posted via RS Mobile
It should be, but people a couple posts above were still talking about buying him and Ballard out.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #357
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Yakupov is fucken awesome and a pure goal scorer that loves the game of hockey that we haven't really seen since Bure. He's the kind of player that will change a game and we have been missing that for years. I would take it in a heart beat if I could and the fans will love it as well once they can get over the trade.
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm not writing the kid off or anything, but he's no Bure, not even close. He's not even a Mogilny.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #358
I don't get it

Edler for Ryan
Booth and Ballard for anything, let's say 7th rounders, they just need to leave
Schneider and pick for Yakupov and pick
Lecavalier for 6m
Gordon for 1.5m
Clitsome for 1.5m
Tanev for 1.2m

Still a little wiggle room for the cap, and looks good to me.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($6.000m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Chris Tanev ($1.200m) / Grant Clitsome ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,627,778; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $522,222
Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #359
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
There's a reason why Luongo isn't getting any interest even in the slightest, and we'd be fools to think that this is solely because of his contract. We would just as equal a fool should we dismiss why Corey is commanding higher returns right now.
How do YOU think the situation should have been handled, at any point in time? What else is keeping teams away, Lu isn't actually that good of a goalie vs. what is available on the market currently?

I don't think there was ever any question Schneider would net a greater return, at least not in the last 2 years where he emerged as a starting goalie. Younger, more flexible contract, cheaper, more upside, but not proven. Am I missing anything?

If Luongo was on a 5.3M/yr contract that expires in 3 years instead of 10, no question the trade would be a done deal already, and it would be a good hockey trade too. Likewise if there was no compliance buyout or cap recapture rule in the new CBA, he would also be much easier to trade.

Personally I feel MG did well to hang on and wait to get the best package back possible--sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. He got screwed by the new CBA and the changing market as a result of that. Had Lu been dealt to the Leafs at the deadline for the rumoured 2 2nd rounders, I would have been disappointed in the return. I'm not sure how you can consider a lockout shortened season or unknown terms of the new CBA a miscalculation or poorly playing his cards. We also have to consider that Luongo controls where he goes, or could have went--MG could have had THE deal, but Lu could have easily nixed it.

It sucks, but it sure makes for great entertainment.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #360
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
That's one interpretation of it.

GMMG isn't a victim of bad timing. He's a victim of his own miscalculation and poorly playing his cards. Wasn't it last year his statement was he was holding out on current Luongo offers because the offers wasn't high enough and would wait for the "right offer?"

I'm leaning towards miscalculation, indecisiveness and TOO much patience on this one....Let''s take a look at some of the moves he's done during his tenure here.

Let's start with good ol Coho....Gillis would have gotten way more for him had he waited till the season ended but was way too caught up with emulating the Bruins style of play/having that legit power forward. Yes, there were problems with AV and his family, but you can't wait just a little longer? Kassian still a question mark, wasn't a win now move

Trading for Ballard, safety net for Hammer, sure I can totally accept it, but not only was was a massive over payment on paper, but Ballard barely even played.

And as for Luongo signing, he made his own bed and he has to sleep in it now. He tried to circumvent the CBA, thinking he'd look like a genius in the future and now its biting his ass. I'm confident Lu would have signed for ~6 mil for maybe 5/6 years and there would be no problem trading him now

Next would be drafting Schroeder, other GMs passed on him obviously due to his size limitation (for good reason) and now it's like we're at a crossroads with him. He's way too soft for our third line, not even sure what we're gonna do with him. Johansson would have been a safer pick. We were all just salivating cause he fell and fell and we managed to snag him.

For sure, hindsight is 20/20, we can see why he made those moves at the time but it seems like ALMOST every "bold" move he made is coming back to haunt him. He's got a SCF game 7 on his resume but that's mainly cause of Burkie and Nonis. He should have fired AV earlier, way earlier. Seems like his foresight is pretty terrible, on the surface he's trying to plan long term but he's actually screwing it up. There's still tomorrow... if he makes a good move well then good for us because he's put himself in a corner with not a lot of options.

Any GM taking Luongo off our hands for something remotely valuable is stupid. Why bother helping? Gillis will have to cave before they do... anyways. Not to mention other 29 GMs are probably laughing their asses off low balling.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 06-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #361
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
i dont think we should even consider on getting lecavalier, he's probably looking to stay in the east lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #362
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
It sucks, but it sure makes for great entertainment.
Not for me.

It kinda sucks as a fan to see that every managerial decision he's made recently is digging us deeper and deeper because he hasn't moved on with the fact that no amount of patch-up-work is going to get him his 2010-2011 team back.

If he pulls the trigger on shipping Schneider, I just foresee it as prolonging the dark era ahead.

edit: (on a lighter note why I prefer to keep Schneider > Lu)

I don't want to miss out on his Tortorella impression.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #363
Performance Moderator

I'd say I'm in the Schneider camp goalie wise, but for me I feel like we're going into a decline/rebuild anyway....... so we're just going to end up wasting Schneider's time here for all intents and purposes... so does it really matter either way?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #364
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

we have 2 solid goalies...choose one and get this fiasco over with for crying out loud.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #365

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Kris Letang contract with Penguins. 8 years / 58 M (#58!) 7.25 AVV Limited no trade to 15 teams. #RDS

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
While Carolina covets a top-4 blue-liner, am told the Canes are not interested in Alex Edler
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #366
Performance Moderator

^
Hah... maybe for what he did to Eric Staal?
Old 06-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #367

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^
Hah... maybe for what he did to Eric Staal?
Probably . Imagine how awkward it would be...

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Will VAN's Alex Edler get "Jeff Carter-ed"? (Traded right before his NTC kicks in). I'd say there's a decent chance Edler gets "Carter-ed."
Old 06-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #368
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The Pens must be crazy. That's 2/3s of the cap spent on 7 players.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #369
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

It seems gillis is getting desperate.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #370
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
And why aren't the Devils or Isles interested? I'd think that would be a good destination for either Lu or Schneids.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #371
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
just watch him make another bad move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
And why aren't the Devils or Isles interested? I'd think that would be a good destination for either Lu or Schneids.
Posted via RS Mobile
they must be waiting for us to buy out luongo, or wait for mg to be on his knees begging for them to take either goalie.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #372
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
For...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
just watch him make another bad move.

they must be waiting for us to buy out luongo, or wait for mg to be on his knees begging for them to take either goalie.
Yeah, I doubt that.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #373
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

mike smith agreed to a 6 year deal, about 5.7 mil a year

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426667

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Old 06-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #374
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster TSE View Post
mike smith agreed to a 6 year deal, about 5.7 mil a year

Coyotes agree to six-year deal with goaltender Smith
Makes Luongo's contract look that much better.

And Babrovsky's looking for 6 mil per for his new contract too.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #375
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Draft day is exciting. But at the same time, I just feel that the city will be up in arms if they move all 3 (Edler and goalies) for hopes and dreams... I doubt that anyways... But it's sure scary
Closed Thread