REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #751
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Advertisement
Old 07-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #752
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Devils fucking fleeced us. Fuck mike gillis.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #753
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

So here's my take on the whole "could Vancouver have gotten more for Schneider" thing. Lets say the Canucks never wanted a roster player cuz afterall, aren't they trying to get under the salary cap? And MG did say the team had to get younger which I totally agree. So the first 4 picks, lets face it, Schneider alone wasn't gonna fetch us one of those. It would have to be something like Schneider, our 2013 and 2014 first rounders and that wouldn't make sense for the Canucks. 5th pick was Carolina's. They have Cam Ward, no need for Schneider. 6 and 7 were the Alberta teams, being in the same division, they weren't willing to overpay for Schneider, fair enough. That leaves the 8th pick which belongs to Buffalo and they already have Miller and are going thru a rebuild so they probably rather keep their draft pick. So long story short, I do believe MG got the best trade possible.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #754
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Only idiots think the Devils fleeced us. Goalies don't go for much in today's NHL. Any top ten draft pick is highly rated in the current NHL landscape.

Just look at the Halak trade to St. Louis, he was even rated higher then Schneider during that off-season due to his crazy playoff performance and all Montreal got in return was Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. Two prospects, and only one of them was considered blue-chip. Don't forget that was a goalie who was already play-off proven, Schneids doesn't have any playoff success.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #755
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,565 Times in 4,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
So here's my take on the whole "could Vancouver have gotten more for Schneider" thing. Lets say the Canucks never wanted a roster player cuz afterall, aren't they trying to get under the salary cap? And MG did say the team had to get younger which I totally agree. So the first 4 picks, lets face it, Schneider alone wasn't gonna fetch us one of those. It would have to be something like Schneider, our 2013 and 2014 first rounders and that wouldn't make sense for the Canucks. 5th pick was Carolina's. They have Cam Ward, no need for Schneider. 6 and 7 were the Alberta teams, being in the same division, they weren't willing to overpay for Schneider, fair enough. That leaves the 8th pick which belongs to Buffalo and they already have Miller and are going thru a rebuild so they probably rather keep their draft pick. So long story short, I do believe MG got the best trade possible.
Buffalo is rebuilding the team and is shopping Miller as we speak.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #756
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Buffalo is rebuilding the team and is shopping Miller as we speak.
Posted via RS Mobile
So are you implying the Canucks could've gotten the 8th pick instead? Cuz in the end, it doesn't matter, the 8th pick was Ristolainen a Dman, something MG wasn't gonna draft anyways. He wanted his centerman and he got what he wanted. It's easy to criticize MG and say he traded Schneider for a 9th overall pick. Even if he traded him for the 7th overall pick, he still would've taken Horvat.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #757
In RS I Trust

Quote:
So are you implying the Canucks could've gotten the 8th pick instead? Cuz in the end, it doesn't matter, the 8th pick was Ristolainen a Dman, something MG wasn't gonna draft anyways. He wanted his centerman and he got what he wanted. It's easy to criticize MG and say he traded Schneider for a 9th overall pick. Even if he traded him for the 7th overall pick, he still would've taken Horvat.
I'm just sayin thats all
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #758
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
You guys talk like Schneider is already the proven #1 goalie for us in the playoffs. It's cup or bust in Vancouver.

I believe Schneider fetched the most out of all the recent goalie transactions. It's pretty amazing to get a top 10 pick for Schneider in a deep draft. Whether it's worth it or not.

Picking Shinkaruk and Subban just put the dirt on top of the coffin of the goalie saga.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #759
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Only idiots think the Devils fleeced us. Goalies don't go for much in today's NHL. Any top ten draft pick is highly rated in the current NHL landscape.

Just look at the Halak trade to St. Louis, he was even rated higher then Schneider during that off-season due to his crazy playoff performance and all Montreal got in return was Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. Two prospects, and only one of them was considered blue-chip. Don't forget that was a goalie who was already play-off proven, Schneids doesn't have any playoff success.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #760

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
You guys talk like Schneider is already the proven #1 goalie for us in the playoffs. It's cup or bust in Vancouver.

I believe Schneider fetched the most out of all the recent goalie transactions. It's pretty amazing to get a top 10 pick for Schneider in a deep draft. Whether it's worth it or not.

Picking Shinkaruk and Subban just put the dirt on top of the coffin of the goalie saga.
Wow, great post (srs) ...for once Big Earl

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #761
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
lel that gif was my first reaction when I heard about the trade
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #762
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
all good points on this page regarding the trade.. I was at my cabin so only real feed i took the time to check out was Twitter

it does suck that a asset like schneider who you spent so much time to groom and develop and even tell him he's the man is traded for a player who seemingly wont be stepping into an NHL lineup anytime soon and thats the return? hmm.. but as has been said the goalie market is seemingly dry

What i have a hard time believing, and i guess it must be true as everyone reported is that there truly was absolutely no takers for Lu? As ive said before Lu brings alot more than just a goaltender who can take a non-playoff team into the playoffs, he's a single handed marketing chip. You're telling me that none of these bottom feeders would take Luongo with a nice cap hit to maintain their spot at the cap floor?

Luongo is amazingly consistent and relatively healthy, those like 3-4 years on top of what an equivalent or even below Lu goalie is getting is THAT much of a deterant from taking him on? That blows my fucking mind...

Anyways, imo MG is at least TRYING to do somthing and this move isnt like a status quo move, this is a fucking earthquake of a shake up, dump Schneids, dump Ballard, cast off from FA's, sign some depth and grit and make MAYBE 1-2 more pushes at a cup, in three years if we havent built a team like a chicago where your young players are constant contributors and vets can slowly fall back into roles or even be traded because the depth has taken their place, thats the only way this will go anywhere or else in three years fans should be praying for a rebuild from top to bottom and no more dwelling in mediocrity
Old 07-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #763
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
all good points on this page regarding the trade.. I was at my cabin so only real feed i took the time to check out was Twitter

it does suck that a asset like schneider who you spent so much time to groom and develop and even tell him he's the man is traded for a player who seemingly wont be stepping into an NHL lineup anytime soon and thats the return? hmm.. but as has been said the goalie market is seemingly dry

What i have a hard time believing, and i guess it must be true as everyone reported is that there truly was absolutely no takers for Lu? As ive said before Lu brings alot more than just a goaltender who can take a non-playoff team into the playoffs, he's a single handed marketing chip. You're telling me that none of these bottom feeders would take Luongo with a nice cap hit to maintain their spot at the cap floor?

Luongo is amazingly consistent and relatively healthy, those like 3-4 years on top of what an equivalent or even below Lu goalie is getting is THAT much of a deterant from taking him on? That blows my fucking mind...

Anyways, imo MG is at least TRYING to do somthing and this move isnt like a status quo move, this is a fucking earthquake of a shake up, dump Schneids, dump Ballard, cast off from FA's, sign some depth and grit and make MAYBE 1-2 more pushes at a cup, in three years if we havent built a team like a chicago where your young players are constant contributors and vets can slowly fall back into roles or even be traded because the depth has taken their place, thats the only way this will go anywhere or else in three years fans should be praying for a rebuild from top to bottom and no more dwelling in mediocrity
Some very logical posts from people.

The biggest criticism for me was how long Gillis took to move a goalie.

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 07-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #764
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I think this is as good as the trade was going to get for the Canucks and it wasn't enough.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #765
Performance Moderator

Thanked 14,980 Times in 4,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

I agree completely, BUT, you cannot discount Lu's no trade clause. I bet that, despite the fact he obviously wanted out, I have a hard time believing he would have waived his no trade cause for just any bottom feeder team looking to sell jerseys with his name on it. I would imagine the list of teams that GMMG had to deal with was pretty damn short.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #766
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,195 Times in 5,577 Posts
That's the only thing...and it kinda seemed like that was the case with his tweet

The way I read the "NOtradeclause" tweet seemed to me almost like a "yea..I got this NTC for a reason and I'm sure as hell not going where I don't want to be"

And if that's the case then that opens up sooo many more questions.. Like was MG just forcing any trade he could get on Lu? Was Lu just being stubborn and turning down anything but Florida? It's completely in Lu's right to turn down trades but when you come out and essentially say your time in Van is over and it's time to move on..

So Who's to blame? Was it a lack of communication with everyone involved?

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Hondaracer; 07-01-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #767
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Blame lies on Gillis for the handling of the entire situation. If he didn't say Schneider is our #1, then the trade would've been less controversial.

Either way, hope the drafts develop into good players. We needed the depth.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:05 AM   #768
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Should get Benoit. He didn't get qualified.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #769
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Only issue I have with the trade is could we have gotten more? 1st + 2nd? or prospect? roster player? someone who can help now?

Aside from that, the team hasn't gotten any weaker in goal. Schneider is still under contract for the next two years, I believe Lu can provide us with similar quality goaltending over the next two years. So our window to win now is still there with Lu and the Sedins. Now, we have a young upcoming centre to take over in a few years. (depending if we develop him correctly).
Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #770
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Lu is happy now he knows hes the bona fide #1 and will probly play like 99% of the games
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 AM   #771
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Torts likes to play the young guys, Bo will be thrown into the fire sooner rather then later.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #772
In RS I Trust

I don't know much about Bo (hes a goalie right? )

could he crack the line up this year at all or is it really up in the air until training camp?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #773
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,754 Times in 8,158 Posts
If they have to play Bo things are worse than I even would have thought
Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #774

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If they have to play Bo things are worse than I even would have thought
What do you mean "have to"?

If he does well in camp, sure.

If not, back to juniors/AHL.

For all we know he could thrive right into the NHL, we just have to wait and see.

The Canucks don't HAVE to put into BoHo into the lineup if he's not ready, just to prove a point
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #775
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Blame lies on Gillis for the handling of the entire situation. If he didn't say Schneider is our #1, then the trade would've been less controversial.
My 'blame' on Gillis lies with him not willing to consider a Schneider trade earlier. You want to keep all your options open to improve your team in anyway possible. Telling Lu that he's the one to be moved for the past year and not keeping the other option open was a mistake IMO, a calculated risk which fell through on MG for a variety of reasons.

On the other end of that, Luongo pretty much declared Schneider the #1 as well and volunteered himself to move, so it did handcuff the team from that perspective.

You can look at how the MAF situation was handled after the Pens got knocked out. MAF has been fairly silent overall. The team has backed MAF 100% going into next season, but that doesn't mean he won't get traded and everybody including MAF knows that's the reality of the business.
Closed Thread