REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #801
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

wow vinny making good money. good paychecks from both TB and PHI together.
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #802
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie
‏@RenLavoieRDS
Sorry. 22.5 for 4 years for Vincent Lecavalier and the Flyers.
reports saying now its actually 5.625 mil cap hit for 4 years, not 4.5 per for 5

**edit, nope the 4.5 per cap hit is correct now

Last edited by 7seven; 07-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #803
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
HOLY SHIT Vinny going to make 55 million coming from Philly and Tampa... lol

As for the Horvat being #4...someone said could that team be Nashville at the 4th pick?

And they had the choice of Horvat or Seth Jones. Forcing Nashville to rethink on their pick between Jones (picked #1 by most ppl) or Horvat. I say Horvat holds a lot of potential.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #804
My homepage has been set to RS

I also heard Carolina was seriously considering Horvat at the #5 pick, which I think says a lot.

Good article on Shinkaruk, and I like the Eberle comparison. If he turns out anything like him, well then..

Quote:
The magician - Vancouver Canucks - Features

When the Vancouver Canucks stepped up to the podium to make their 24th overall selection at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft on Sunday, they may have been a bit surprised to see Medicine Hat Tigers captain Hunter Shinkurak still on the board. Needless to say, the Canucks followed their “draft the best player available” philosophy and took the speedy winger.

Shinkurak posted 86 points (37-49-86) in 64 games last season, his third in the Western Hockey League. Tigers' General Manager and Head Coach Shaun Clouston said the Calgary, Alberta, native possesses a filthy pair of mitts.

“He is a very skilled player with crazy quick hands, way above average, like off the charts as far as his hands are concerned,” said Clouston. “Just a very, very skilled player, an upper-level skilled hockey player that plays with good energy.

“He has Tyler Ennis type hands, a bit of a magician with the puck. Hunter has really great, elite, excellent puck skills.“

Ennis, a go-to offensive player with the Buffalo Sabres, played for the Tigers from 2005 to 2009. Another player that reminds Clouston of Shinkaruk is Edmonton Oilers sniper Jordan Eberle.

“He definitely has got Jordan Eberle type of puck skills,” said Clouston. “Hunter is a little bit bigger, but is similar in being very creative, very dangerous player. Definitely can control the game in the offensive zone, he can really play a puck possession game. Eberle I think is a fair comparison, good speed, good quickness and if you let them in tight the puck is in the back of the net.”

Although listed as a centre on most draft rankings and websites, Shinkaruk has played the wing his entire three-year WHL career, a career that has seen him post 219 points (100-119-219) in only 193 games.

“He has mostly played wing for us, he was a centreman in his minor hockey days,” said Clouston. “He has played wing for us for three years and really enjoys playing the wing. He likes picking the opportune times to drive wide or get in behind or through the defensemen. I am not saying he can’t be a centreman, but he definitely is more comfortable on the wing.”

Clouston believes times are changing and the days of smaller centreman may be coming to an end.

“In Medicine Hat we have taken some smaller players and put them on the wing. Years ago everyone had big wingers but I think that’s changed where the centreman now has to play like a defenseman, the game is three-on-three down low.”

Not only is Shinkaruk highly-skilled, he also brings an enthusiastic and intelligent mindset to the game.

“He is extremely intelligent, understands the game, understands what it takes, analyzes his game, breaks things down and knows what he has to do,” said Clouston. “I as a coach like that side of the game, the technical side. He is the type of player that I can bring in and talk to about the game.”

Clouston said Shinkaruk will enter the summer with the mindset of making the Canucks roster this upcoming season, but knows there are a few things he needs to work on.

“I think Hunter’s goal is to make the NHL this year coming up,” he said. “I honestly think he will have that as a goal even though he was picked 24th and not first, he believes that he can do it.

“He needs just a little bit of strength, and he knows that. He knows he has to get a little bit harder of a shot, a little quicker of a release and become more comfortable shooting the puck from the top of the circle. He knows there are certain things he needs to work on.”

Shinkaruk was born on October 13th, 1994, which meant he missed the 2012 NHL Entry Draft age cut-off by almost a month, which also means he only has to return to the WHL for one more season before turning pro. If Shinkaruk finds himself back in Medicine Hat next season, one thing is for sure, the 5-foot-11, 185-pounder should be challenging for the league lead in points, capping off a stellar junior hockey career.

“He had an amazing year at the age of 16 after he missed his entire 15-year-old season with a broken femur,” said Clouston. “Because of the late birthday, when he started playing for us he was only 15-years-old, he hadn’t turned 16 yet. Basically by the end of that season he was playing in our top-six. Last year he had a huge season playing with (Ducks prospect) Emerson Etem on our top line as 17-year-old. As an 18-year-old he did a great job for us on an extremely young team with 11 rookies and only seven returning players. Even with such a young team we were able to make the playoffs and sweep the Saskatoon Blades in Round 1.”

Off the ice, Clouston describes Shinkaruk as a straight-laced kid that is very well respected and very professional in his demeanor.

“He is very passionate and loves the game,” he said. “The type of person that always has a smile on his face, shows up for team breakfast on the road, practice, games and meetings with a real positive energy. He just loves the game, loves being around the game, loves scoring and loves winning.

“Just a real good person.”
Old 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #805
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Go to 80M..you have facts behind that? Or just assuming?
Dropping the cap for next season was deliberate. Based on projected NHL revenue and the assumption that the NHL will participate in the Olympics the 2014-15 cap should rise substantially following 2013-14.

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 07-02-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #806
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

didn't the leafs say they weren't gonna buyout anyone this year?

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #807
Need to Seek Professional Help

can't take any NHL GM's word these days.

Gillis: Cory is our main guy and we'll do everything we can to find a team for Roberto..... trades Cory.
Holmgren: We will not be buying out Ilya's contract.... buys out Bryz.

edit: holy grammar!

Last edited by Simulated; 07-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #808
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

fair enough lol

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #809
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
I think more people have been watching this Glendale/Coyotes council meeting then their actual games
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulated View Post

Gillis: Cory is our main guy and we'll do everything we can to find a team for Roberto..... trades Cory.

It's only a matter of time before the media starts pointing the finger at Luongo as the reason Gillis was forced to trade Schneider.

He turned down two chances to be traded last off season. First when there was a deal with Toronto and he reportedly said no. Second, when Canucks management went to him to see if he would be willing to waive his no trade to the Oilers. Again he reportedly said no. He got greedy thinking the Panthers would ask for his services.

Some may even suggest that the Canucks did well on the deal. A top ten pick in a deep draft for a goalie (when goalies don't fetch much these days). If Gillis dealt Cory 12 months ago it would have been during a lackluster draft year.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #811
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Come on. Clarkson and Pouliot to toughen up the team!
Doesn't clarkson want like 6mill a year.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #812
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Luongo came out and publically said he had never once been asked to waive his NTC..
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #813
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

MG had his ego get in the way. Didnt he say he will NEVER ask a player to waive their NTC.

Btw, what about iginla. I'd love to have him here and play with the twins and put burrows back into shutdown role
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #814
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
It's only a matter of time before the media starts pointing the finger at Luongo as the reason Gillis was forced to trade Schneider.

He turned down two chances to be traded last off season. First when there was a deal with Toronto and he reportedly said no. Second, when Canucks management went to him to see if he would be willing to waive his no trade to the Oilers. Again he reportedly said no. He got greedy thinking the Panthers would ask for his services.

Some may even suggest that the Canucks did well on the deal. A top ten pick in a deep draft for a goalie (when goalies don't fetch much these days). If Gillis dealt Cory 12 months ago it would have been during a lackluster draft year.
Just because the media reported it doesn't mean that is what or how it happened, honestly I don't think Gillis EVER had anything solid in place to ask Lu to waive his clause... Lu even came out publicly and said " I have not been asked to waive my NTC" during the whole TO trade speculation. At this time I trust Lu's word over anything Gillis has to say.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_39 View Post
Just because the media reported it doesn't mean that is what or how it happened, honestly I don't think Gillis EVER had anything solid in place to ask Lu to waive his clause... Lu even came out publicly and said " I have not been asked to waive my NTC" during the whole TO trade speculation. At this time I trust Lu's word over anything Gillis has to say.
And just because Luongo said he's never been asked to waive his NTC doesn't mean it didn't happen. It's as much about optics as anything else. What if he did come out and say he didn't want to move to the teams that were inquiring about him? All that goodwill he gained with the public this year would go to waste and he'd be vilified. Gillis has to wear this one regardless of what is happening behind the scenes. That said, Gillis should have dealt a goalie last year.

Last edited by MR_BIGGS; 07-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #816
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
You would think that with Bryzgalov just bought out, Tim Thomas tweeting that he's coming back as an UFA. Rask asking for way more than what Luongo's making. Mike Smith already signed to $6m.
Who would willingly give up any assets for Luongo when there are goalies that could be signed for free? Schneider for a top 10 pick is not bad considering the circumstances.

There has been many valid points made the last couple pages since the helterskelter has subsided and everyone has had time to sit back and think clearly about our situation. No more "OMG BURN MG AT THE STAKE" outbursts lol ...

I'm liking our prospect pool a LOT more than ... last week.
Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, Corrado, Lack, Mallet, and now Horvat, Shinkaruk and Subban. I would even consider Kassian still a prospect, which makes the Hodgson more palatable. We now have Schroeder, Gaunce and Horvant down the middle. Kassian, given the proper development, could be the power forward winger we need instead of clogging the middle with 4 centers. Especially if CoHo's heart wasn't in it from the start.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #817
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
MG had his ego get in the way. Didnt he say he will NEVER ask a player to waive their NTC.

Btw, what about iginla. I'd love to have him here and play with the twins and put burrows back into shutdown role
Would jizz for iggy but it's not going to happen.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 07-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #818
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
If Gillis dealt Schneider a year ago, he would have been able to get a lot more than 9th overall. He still had some bargaining power at that point.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #819
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
This council member Martinez is so senile.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #820
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
Doesn't clarkson want like 6mill a year.
serious? he's a 2/3 liner
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #821
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simulated View Post

Holmgren: We will not be buying out Ilya's contract.... buys out Bryz.

Only the sleezeball organizations... Classy guys like Joe Sakic stick to their word when they say they are going to draft MacKinnon #1 rather than say that to use him as trade bait...
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #822
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Even tho everyone thinks we should of received more for Cory I'm pretty happy with Horvat right now. I'm even more excited then when we first drafted Hodgson and thats something to say. If this pans out which hopefully it should this will be the best move Gillis has ever made.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #823
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Luongo came out and publically said he had never once been asked to waive his NTC..
Posted via RS Mobile
Well you dont officially ask a player to waive the ntc until you have a deal ready in place waiting for player approval. Mg could have tested waters by just asking if Lu would consider going to leafs or oilers, without formally asking Lu to waive his ntc.

So I fully believe when Lu says he wasn't asked to waive his ntc. I also believe mg had trade options available, though not finalized to the point of asking for Lu to waive the ntc
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #824
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Coyotes staying in Glendale
Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #825
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
What a bunch of stupid people... The American do enjoy losing money it seems and I don't understand it.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread