REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #1226
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
I feel like our team hasn't really improved at all, if anything, it got a little worse
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #1227
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Yea like we need some actual fucking changes not just shifting shit for shit

Even if its just in the bottom 6 get somone who will have impact
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #1228
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Yea like we need some actual fucking changes not just shifting shit for shit

Even if its just in the bottom 6 get somone who will have impact
Posted via RS Mobile
I wish our bottom 6 still had Volpatti. Just another bone-head move you can add to MG's list of stupidity.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #1229
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The reset will come if the Sedins aren't resigned or they are resigned to less than 5 million a year. They will also need to move core players and bring in new blood. Otherwise, this is going down the route of the Flamers....
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #1230
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
letting lappeire go is already a sign of rebuild... our young players are not gonna throw their body around
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #1231

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
letting lappeire go is already a sign of rebuild... our young players are not gonna throw their body around
Kassian...........inconsistently
Old 07-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #1232

Bickell - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Handzus - Kane
Saad - Shaw - Smith
Bollig - Kruger - Hayes

Seabrook - Keith
Leddy - Oduya
Hjalmarsson - Clendening

Crawford
Khabibulin

Still have $5m under the cap

vs

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Weise-Richardson-UnsignedPlug (if only Lappeirre)
Sestito

Hamhuis-Garrison
Bieksa-Edler
Tanev-Weber
Coraddo

Luongo
Lack

probably 2 mill left after signing tanev and 4th line plug
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #1233
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
Brad Richardson?

I need to stay tuned a bit more, LOL.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Kassian...........inconsistently
Rather have Mason Raymond than Kassian srs
Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #1235

Quote:

Good one.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #1236
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Should've traded him at the deadline for assets at least...

..Now we lost him for nothing
I think hanging onto Raymond is what mg and Gilman were talking about by going 'all in' last trade deadline. Guy they clearly weren't going to keep but didn't bother even getting a 5th rounder back for a rental fee.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #1237
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
repped, 5 star post
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #1238
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
so aaron ward was right after all. iggy to boston

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1239
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
I think Richardson could turn out to be a good bottom 6 guy... He was basically like the Keith Ballard in LA last season
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
repped, 5 star post
Posted via RS Mobile

thank me nao

Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #1241
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I wanted Raymond to succeed but
Speed down the wing, wrist shot centre logo over and over

Happy to see him leave
In b4 he scores 15-20 in cgy because they have nobody and retards talk about how we should have kept him
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #1242
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoni View Post
I wanted Raymond to succeed but
Speed down the wing, wrist shot centre logo over and over

Happy to see him leave
In b4 he scores 15-20 in cgy because they have nobody and retards talk about how we should have kept him
He scored most of his goals against Calgary, so no, he'll probably top out at 10 goals if he's lucky
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #1243

Did anyone listen to MG's interview today? The way he answered questions about Lu does not have me 100% confident that he'll play for them... That is not saying I think he'll sit out, but I am just not 100% (as most people here have indicated they are... ie "he's a pro of course he'll play" etc)

He said things like "things need to simmer down" and "people do things in the heat of the moment"

"Roberto's our goalie - he's under contract here. But I'm gonna go down and go through all the events with him and make sure that we have a clear understanding"

Reporter asks "what are the other options?"

"play or not play."

Report: "you mean just sit out?"

"I guess..."

If you think Lu isn't completely pissed, think again. If you think there is a 100% chance he'll play, think again. As of right now, the Canuck's confirmed #1 goalie is Eddie Lack.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #1244

sign tim thomas, the man who stole the stanley cup from us...

can we fit chad larose? that guy can score, hit and forecheck

larose richardson weise - atleast it would give us some hope
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #1245
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,576 Times in 4,294 Posts
If I was Lu I would be pissed as well, it is pretty pathetic with what happened and with the way everything has been dealt with really makes Gillis look like a joke.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #1246
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,830 Times in 877 Posts
Quote:
Each man would be appalled at the association, but seven hours and $350-million US into National Hockey League free agency on Friday, we discovered that Mike Gillis and Brian Burke have something in common.

It was 12 years ago that Burke, then general manager of the Vancouver Canucks, famously stood before reporters and said how embarrassed he was to work in the NHL when so many GMs were “nuts, absolutely out of their minds” when it came to free-agent spending.

On Friday, Gillis merely wanted to say it. You could tell.

This is the league that locked out players for four months, then tried to justify it by telling fans the hockey business needed fixing and that this would be achieved if owners got a bigger share of revenue by lowering the salary cap.

Then on the fifth day of the seventh month — lucky seven to anyone with a pair of skates and an agent with a working telephone — these fiscally-responsible and wary owners allowed their top employees to gorge on free agents.

General managers stuffed themselves in a feeding frenzy unseen in league history, pouring more than $350 million into free agents’ bank accounts by Friday afternoon. Including the $128 million paid to players this week to buy them out of contracts, a procedure intended to allow these cornered GMs to duck under the plunging salary cap, the player tab is nearly a half-billion dollars. And it far exceeds that when all the money committed players signed or re-signed by teams before the opening bell Friday is counted.

Within two hours, spending had already surpassed last year’s opening-day record of $201 million. Imagine if the salary cap wasn’t plummeting, dropping to $64.3 million next year from $70.2 million. Imagine if these free agents were not universally regarded as the mangiest crop in years.

PHOTOS: NHL STARS ON THE MOVE (or go to photo tab on this story)

David Clarkson, a 29-year-old who has 170 points in 426 NHL games, got a seven-year contract worth $36.75 million from the Toronto Maple Leafs. Ryane Clowe cashed in on his three-goal season with a five-year, $24.25-million deal from the New Jersey Devils.

The Tampa Bay Lightning agreed to pay Valtteri Filppula, who once in six seasons has surpassed 40 points, $25 million over five years. Chronic under-achiever Stephen Weiss got the same from the Detroit Red Wings.

“Uh, you know, I don’t know how to describe it actually,” Gillis began when asked about the gush of money from teams to players.

Expert commentators described nearly every signing as good, great or fabulous for the team. History will prove otherwise on many of the transactions. Certainly, they were fabulous for the players.

Told how Burke once described his colleagues’ spending, Gillis smiled, fidgeted slightly and said: “I’m not embarrassed being part of the NHL but I am surprised. I’m surprised about the (length) of a lot of the contracts that came down. But you know what? That’s those teams and their operation. They do things for the reasons they think are right. We weren’t part of it this year, but we have been in the past.”

The Canucks signed only gritty, versatile forward Brad Richardson (two years at $1.15 million) and depth defenceman Yannick Weber (one year, $650,000). But Gillis shouldn’t be lauded for his restraint.

Apart from making big-ticket purchases during past free-agency openings, the Canucks have already committed so much money to keep the players they have, there was little left to spend on Friday. What they did commit, they did so strategically.

Richardson, 28, a speedy and antagonizing player from the Los Angeles Kings, adds some of the “bite” that new coach John Tortorella desires and could fill a hole as the Canucks’ third-line centre.

But with just 16 points in 99 regular-season and playoff games the last two seasons, Richardson must prove he has the offensive skills to play in the top nine.

He’ll be pushed at training camp by Canucks prospects Jordan Schroeder, Bo Horvat and Brendan Gaunce.

“I don’t even think I’ve come close to reaching my potential offensively,” Richardson, who is from Belleville, Ont., said. “I haven’t been given a ton of opportunity that way. Vancouver wouldn’t have brought me in if they didn’t think there was more there. That’s been the frustrating thing — it was nice to play in L.A. on a great team, but I knew I had more to give.”

The 24-year-old Weber, who spent parts of the last four seasons with the Montreal Canadiens, has a good right-handed shot and replaces some of the blue-line depth the Canucks lost by buying out Keith Ballard and not re-signing Andrew Alberts.

The Canucks chose to pursue Weber over Jonathon Blum, the former Nashville Predator and Vancouver Giants’ junior star who had expressed a desire to return to the city.

The Canucks were outbid by the Edmonton Oilers on Phoenix Coyotes centre Boyd Gordon (three years, $9 million) and were sticker-shocked by rugged Dallas Stars winger Eric Nystrom, who went to the Predators (four years, $10 million).

Centre Max Lapierre became an ex-Canuck, signing with St. Louis. Vancouver added a pair of minor-league defencemen, Alex Biega and Jeremie Blain.

The transactions left the Canucks with about $5.7 million of salary cap space, but still needing another five players to fill out their NHL roster. Two of those players, still to be re-signed as restricted free agents, will be defenceman Chris Tanev and fourth-line winger Dale Weise.

The other spots may remain open for training-camp competition.

This assumes Roberto Luongo, defaulted to starter status by Sunday’s trade of Cory Schneider in a cliffhanger ending to the Canucks’ goaltending melodrama, decides eventually to return to Vancouver to resume collecting the $40 million the team owes him.

He has little choice, really, but it’s interesting that the 34-year-old now has Gillis flapping in the breeze just as Luongo was buffeted by uncertainty for 14 months.

“I’m going to go down (to Florida) and meet Roberto as soon as we settle down here,” Gillis reiterated. “Right after things happen, in the heat of the moment, people say things and do things. Roberto’s our goalie. He’s under contract here. I’m going to go down and go through all the events with him and make sure we have a clear understanding.

“I want to make sure that I’m absolutely clear to him and explain everything that occurred. I have the utmost respect for this guy. He’s an absolutely fantastic person.”

Fantastically well-paid, too. After all, he plays hockey.
NHL teams jump off ?fiscal cliff? to drain wallets as Canucks show strategic restraint
Old 07-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #1247

IMO Gillis would be in on the stupid deals too, if he had the cap space.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
IMO Gillis would be in on the stupid deals too, if he had the cap space.
for who? This year's free agency was weak.

the only time i remember Gillis making a stupid signing was the Sundin one. Recent ones like Hamhuis and Garrison were solid with cheaper cap hits
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #1249

Quote:
for who? This year's free agency was weak.

the only time i remember Gillis making a stupid signing was the Sundin one. Recent ones like Hamhuis and Garrison were solid with cheaper cap hits
Posted via RS Mobile
If Gillis had the cap space I'm sure he would have made competitive offers to any decent forward.. Filpula, Bozak, Ribeiro, Clarkson, Iginla, Weiss, etc...
Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #1250

Maybe...but I'm glad we didn't.

4.25M for 5 years for Ryan "3 goals last season" Clowe