REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #13851
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Come on guys, Burrows elbow and forearm was headshot area. Let's be real here.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #13852
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
Come on guys, Burrows elbow and forearm was headshot area. Let's be real here.
I did concede that his hit was high in a previous post.

But after looking at that gif over and over again (I wish there was a slower one), it looks like Burrows leads with his hands (a Burrows-specialty if you watch him enough), but the initial point of contact looked like the upper-chest/neck and rode up as McDonagh crashed in/Burrows moved into him. The hit ended up high, but I don't think the brunt of Burrows' hit was directed at the head.

Plus like I said, McDonagh came up favouring what appeared to be his shoulder. Looking at the replay again, it looks like he gets tangled up between Kassian and Burrows enough to pop something out. At least that's what it looked like to me.

I'm not trying to defend Burrows, but just calling it how *I* see it. Of course, your view is yours and perfectly valid as well.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #13853
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
McDone'a
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #13854
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Lol...

This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #13855
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Those idiots rofl... probably jobless and doesn't even hold season tickets.

Gillis is trying to change the culture of our organization bringing in OHL talents to our roster.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #13856
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Probably scalpers.. they've made a mint off Canucks for a long time running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #13857
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Canucks fan logic

"This team is terrible, we need Somone who can make trades, fire Gillis!!"

Ok, so fire him, then who do we hire? Somone like Holmgren?

"Who's Holmgren?"

Exactly.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #13858
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Not even a phone call for Burrows, but clearly scumbag piece of shit cheap shot artist ...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #13859
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
I never said he deserved a suspension, fine or even the 5 minute major he got..

the original post was a bit of a knee jerk reaction, I still don't like the hit but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was

Oates calling out Ovi

OATES: OVECHKIN 'QUIT' ON A GOAL IN LOSS TO STARS TUESDAY - TSN.ca
Quote:
"Ovi quit on the play, coming back," said Oates to CSN Washington. "It just goes to show you gotta hustle the whole time. The whole, entire time."
Dustin Jeffrey Goal on Braden Holtby (09:55/3rd) - NHL VideoCenter
Old 04-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #13860
Waxin’ Punks

I remember a lot of regulars in the old Canucks threads saying they'd build a team around Ovi rather than Crosby any day..

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #13861
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
^in 2005 I was one of those ppl. Telling my friend he's an idiot for choosing Crosby lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #13862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I remember a lot of regulars in the old Canucks threads saying they'd build a team around Ovi rather than Crosby any day..
Not that I was one of those people, but Ovi WAS a better player than Crosby back then ...

Of course, McPhee makes MG look like he's a fucking managerial demigod by comparison ...
Old 04-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #13863
Waxin’ Punks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Not that I was one of those people, but, offensively, Ovi WAS a better player than Crosby back then ...

Of course, McPhee makes MG look like he's a fucking managerial demigod by comparison ...
Fixed

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #13864
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Fuck ya redwings!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #13865
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicrick View Post
I never said he deserved a suspension, fine or even the 5 minute major he got..

the original post was a bit of a knee jerk reaction, I still don't like the hit but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was

Oates calling out Ovi

OATES: OVECHKIN 'QUIT' ON A GOAL IN LOSS TO STARS TUESDAY - TSN.ca

Dustin Jeffrey Goal on Braden Holtby (09:55/3rd) - NHL VideoCenter
Yes, Ovi was lazy on the play but that was clearly awful defence by the entire 5-man Caps unit.

Chiasson gets around Orlov so easily, who makes the pass to Whitney. Beagle goes to 2-man Chiasson instead of staying in the middle or else he would've had position on Whitney. Everyone now thinks Whitney will shoot because he has a totally clear lane.

Mike Green interferes with his man, Jeffrey, and then leaves him to go block the lane. Great...but this leaves Jeffrey completely open to one-time that shit past...who's that in net? Holtby?

Clearly Ovi is coasting into his zone on that one but to be fair, so are the two Stars d-men and there are already three Caps in the defensive zone. A fourth, Grabbo, looks to have a better angle to d-up Whitney but he's coasting even slower than Ovi and does dick all the entire play. At least Ovi tries to hook the Wizard a little.

I've thought Ovechkin is a defensive liability since forever but c'mon...that was bullshit by the entire team. What the fuck kind of defence was that?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #13866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Fixed
Not fixed at all, Crosby's defensive game was often criticized in his early years and Ovi was praised for his intensity in all zones.

Difference is Crosby worked his ass off to improve his areas of weakness while Ovi got complacent (GMGM didn't help matters at all by completely abandoning their PT-winning roster and culture, trying instead to copy other teams ... Much in the same way GMMG got us into the mess we're in).
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #13867
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Not that I was one of those people, but Ovi WAS a better player than Crosby back then ...

Kidding me? McPhee traded a blue chip prospect in Forsberg for Erat.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #13868

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
^in 2005 I was one of those ppl. Telling my friend he's an idiot for choosing Crosby lol
Posted via RS Mobile
I don't know...you build your team around a center or goalie way before a winger IMO
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #13869
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Fresh Take on Canucks Orca for Markstrom Mask - The Goalie Magazine - InGoalMag.com

Finally got his mask lol, just in time since he's probably gonna get a game or two coming up.

really reminds me of this
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #13870
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
anyone hear the interview with gillis? Sounds like ownership makes more calls than he'd like and he sounds pretty choked lol but then again I guess we ahud take everything he says with a grain of salt. I still think either he stays or coach stays, but I'm thinking more like gillis stays for at least one more season with a new coach again
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 AM   #13871
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
The only fuck up management will make is our top 6. Gillis will find OHL talents to fill in our bottom 6.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #13872
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
TEAM Radio | TEAM 1040 AM | TEAM 1410 AM :: Canucks GM Mike Gillis on TEAM1040 :: News - Article

tl;dl
cliffs aren't mine

Quote:
Canucks for Kids telethon well received, close to $3M in net proceeds, thanks to fans and honoured to be in the position to help like that

Enjoys working for the Canucks, hard on himself and knows we have passionate fans. Easy to kick people when they're down, but his responsibility to get back on top.

Torts is a proven winner and the season has been difficult with all that's happened they didn't anticipate. Torts (like Gillis) will have a thorough evaluation, but running team is Gillis' responsibility and they chased moving goalposts and got away from core principles for how he wants team to play and the tempo they want to play with. Organization has deviated from things that can make them successful and he wants to get back to that.

Will Torts be back? Gillis isn't sure if he'll be back, he recognizes everyone is open to evaluation. Has a clear vision though they have to execute on to compete in West, but fair to say all will be under scrutiny which is deserved.

Entire team's performance has dropped off, unlikely it's attributable to one thing. Combination of things need to be addressed to build the style of play and team they want. Torts is accomplished, people thought AV couldn't change years ago, any coach can coach the team they have if the players are committed. Problems are far reaching and if people don't want to get onside then they won't be here.

Ongoing process for when he'll sit with ownership, thorough review at the end of the season for where they're at as an organization, team and financially. Now has cap space where didn't before and will go through a plan for the owner's to choose direction.

Bringing in a GM with him in Pres position hasn't been discussed, job is beyond full time in terms of responsibility, pressure and scrutiny and he accepts that, really good people working for him so hasn't considered it but they'll do anything they can to win the Cup including sharing roles or reorganizing differently. Not in it to hang around, in it to win, came close but will do what it takes to do that.

Will try to spend to the cap if it's the right players/positions, manged to do well in first week of July previously, will have to see what's available when he gets there.

Kassian and Tanev haven't had initial negotiations yet, Kassian is just scratching surface of what he can do, has had a pretty good season and is going in the right direction. Tanev is a steady, reliable defenceman who they miss when injured and confident they can get them signed.

Kesler will be met with at end of season to talk about goals and how he feels then move on from there.

Will do a webcast with STH, hasn't happened yet because they've still be working at the playoffs but plans to do it next week.

TO Media love to carve Canucks, used to it now but unfortunate for a young guy like Lack. Great personality and size, he's allowed them to think differently. Great faith in him and Markstrom, a great 24 year old with attributes to be a top flight goalie in the NHL. Two young guys in their prime, hopes fans get behind them and support them. If Eddie had any run support this year he'd be in consideration for Calder, probably wouldn't win it but has more one goal losses than anyone else and 2nd in shutouts with half the games played. Has a great opportunity, wants to be a Canuck, would love to see people behind him.

Markstrom will start, Rollie has specific coaching style and works hard with them. Determined they get in when they show him enough in fundamentals and skills to be able to play. Markstrom coming from another organization that does things differently, but we have a lot of faith in him, competitor, huge, athletic, there's some things he needs to do to reach the next level but spending his time in practice and moving in the right direction.

To the fans: we've had a lot success, but has been incredibly frustrating and Gillis is committed to getting back to levels they expect, has a plan to do it, had a plan 6 years ago and got as close as possible. Learned a lot from that and tired of chasing a moving target and will get back to fundamentals he believes in and that's how they're going to play. If people don't want to comply they'll make hard choices as they did 6 years ago.

Deviated from successful things, time to return to the style of play we had six years ago that we were successful at

Wants to play upbeat puck possession, move the puck quickly, force teams into mistakes, high transition game (surprise, surprise). Thinks they have the personnel to do it, and if they don't they'll be changed. That's his vision for how to win in the West. If you look at the top teams there isn't a lot to separate them but the top teams play that way and was how they played. Made a lot of enemies playing that way but that's why they had success.
no more overplaying our top guys in the first half would be good too, IMO it lead to distrust in the bottom six and got progressively worse after Santo went down

no more over- collapsing down low making it hard for us to breakout so we dump and chase, less aggressiveness in the offensive zone leading to easy easy zone entries/ odd man rushes for the opposing team, the odd game that this system works we play well, but most of the time it doesn't and we lose

no more chasing the puck like potatoes too

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #13873
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

With the season running to an inevitable end, would you buy David Booth out? 4.25M caphit for next season, then he's done. We have 1 compliance buyout left. With the possible dismissal of Torts or MG or both, it could be an expensive off-season for Aquaman.

I didn't use to think Aquaman gave a damn about the cheques he's writing as long as it helps the team win, but recent events have shown otherwise

Personally, I'm of the thought of just riding Booth's contract out next season. There's no real point to buy him out; you save 4.25M on the cap, but his replacement will probably cost you 2-2.5M to sign and is a relative unknown so you really save only ~2M at best, enough to sign a 3rd/4th liner which we have plenty of already. Realistically we aren't going anywhere next season, so no rush to sign any big names this off season either. We don't really have a player in our system that can replace Booth's position/role, there ARE things he actually does well. Plus next year is his contract year

So we end up wasting a compliance buyout. MG has talked in the past about bringing in a quality prospect/player and a veteran castoff with a bad contract, and using the remaining buyout to get rid of the bad contract. I would love to see if he could pull this off, but once its going to cost Aquaman some $$
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #13874
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
are we able to buy Booth out or was that just last summer since the lockout? That's one thing I haven't really been sure with. Saying that no question you buy him out if we can!!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #13875
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I was all for buying David Booth out, but with the cap going up, players are going to be getting paid stupid amounts you're running into the risk of getting a shittier player and only saving pennies.
Posted via RS Mobile
Closed Thread