REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #1626
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Is it possible that Lou Lamoriello and Bettman knew about Kovy's "retirement?"

One theory:

Quote:
When the lockout ended, Kovi was the last straggler back to N. America. Early in the lockout Kovi was quoted as saying:

"I don’t rule out staying in Russia in the case of a reduction of our salaries in the NHL." (Oct.23)

When the lockout ended:

"I will need to read the new agreement' before I decides what to do next." (Jan.08)

And now there is news that Kovalchuk had already agreed to terms with SKA St. Petersburg in January [This was before the news came out today that he signed]. Perhaps Lou Lamoriello convinced Kovalchuk to play the shortened season - and then he would help Kovalchuk walk away from the NHL free and clear. Lou likely saw that there was no way to keep Kovalchuk in the NHL - so he did the best he could in getting one more year out of him. Then he gets Kovalchuk to 'retire', rather than suspend him, so that both sides are free and clear of each other. And this also avoids any KHL-NHL tension, which leads to a theory that Lamoriello at the very least consulted with Gary Bettman on how best to handle this to the satisfaction of all involved.

As for Kovalchuk's future in the NHL - the NY Post and Puck Daddy dug up this little tidbit. Kovalchuk becomes an unrestricted NHL free agent in 2018, once he turns 35 years old.

While he walked away from $77 million in the NHL, he's reportedly making even more than that in the KHL (Confirmed today). And that won't change five years from now.

So is this the start of a trend of players leaving? What's to stop Ovechkin from doing it next year?

And could all 34-year-olds "retire" and then play one year in the KHL, and then return to the NHL as free agents? There's a loophole that could be trouble.
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #1627
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
bbc = big black ... = big black captain
i can confirm, i am bbc
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #1628
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
The salary cap might have to be put to rest but the bottom feeder franchise will suffer.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #1629

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 411ken View Post
Jeedee will buy Subban's jersey then have it altered to the new player and be his biggest supporter
in on Bo Horvat and Brendan Gaunce jerseys
in b4 they get traded
inb4 jersey stitch switches
Old 07-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #1630
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts

Old 07-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #1631

fake jerseys too
Old 07-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #1632
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUUUUUUUU View Post

that's what you get for being a fucking moron and buying fake jerseys
Old 07-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #1633
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,810 Times in 8,187 Posts
No, that's why you buy fake jerseys
Old 07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #1634

Spoiler!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #1635
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
^

lol, what a dumbass...
anyway...

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 07-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #1636
Big Drama Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #1637

DUcks to reunite the PPG line
Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1638
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
well, dustin penner would have been sweet

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #1639
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
I've come to realize what BigEarl suggests/says doesn't happen most of the time.

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #1640
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
anyone who follows Penner on twitter knew the guy wanted to stay in Cali
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #1641
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
The Los Angeles Kings have acquired Dan Carcillo from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for a draft pick. The Blackhawks received a conditional pick in 2015.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 07-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #1642
My homepage has been set to RS

Is Carcillo even a legit fighter?

and lol, LA with all these ex flyers. At least with their goaltending, they shouldnt be picking up Ilya the universe Bryzgalov

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #1643

The kings can't keep all Clifford, Lewis and Nolan...

Nolan would be a true canuck if you know what i mean, 6'3 225lb aboriginal come at me bro... richardson and nolan are familiar with each other
Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #1644
Big Drama Show

Quote:
The kings can't keep all Clifford, Lewis and Nolan...

Nolan would be a true canuck if you know what i mean, 6'3 225lb aboriginal come at me bro... richardson and nolan are familiar with each other
that's racist men

inb4 ban
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 AM   #1645

What i mean is Nolan is better than Weise all day everday on the 4th line since he filed arbitration, he is a pretty good fighter too and will become a new fan favorite.

Dont under estimate aboriginal toughness -> jordin tootoo

fact is fact like bbc
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #1646

Quote:
Dont under estimate aboriginal toughness -> jordin tootoo
o ya jordin tootoo toughness

Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #1647
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Interesting piece on Gilbert Brule

The resurrection of Gilbert Brule

Quote:
When Gilbert Brule returned from Zurich after playing just 14 Swiss League games during the NHL lockout last season, it looked as though his hockey career was at an end.

It appeared to be an inauspicious conclusion to a career that began as a junior star with the Vancouver Giants, who have since enshrined him in the team’s Ring of Honour.

Brule was drafted sixth overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2005, but they dealt him to Edmonton after 2½ disappointing seasons. And the young man who was once tabbed to be a multimillion-dollar superstar in the NHL soon found himself out of the league after the Oilers also cut him loose following three mostly unproductive seasons.

But Brule says there were reasons he hadn’t built on his 2009-10 season, when he scored a career-high 17 goals and 37 points in just 65 games with Edmonton.

Brule was depressed about his fractured relationship with his father, Chris Brule — a man who, until recently, had been heavily involved in his son’s career, even long before he became a star with the Giants.

The medications Gilbert was on seemed to exacerbate the problem.

Brule says he entrusted his father with the care of the money he had worked so hard for, with the understanding that he was building a company for him.

Instead, he says his dad was doing something else with the money, something that ended poorly.

“Basically, he was taking money from me,” Brule said last week before one of his rigorous workouts aimed at getting his hockey career back on track, as the 26-year-old, free-agent centre is looking for a tryout with an NHL team this fall.

“At one point, my father and I were very close, as father and son should be. But now, basically, we don’t have a relationship. Now we just email on occasion.

“He (Chris Brule) was calling me seven or eight times a day, wanting to talk,” Brule said of his past troubles.

“At one point he was making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown.

“I mean, the pictures he’s talking about are nothing I’m ashamed of. But that’s how pathetic it was getting. I actually think he didn’t feel he’d done anything wrong for a while. But he’s moved on now, and so have I.

“I’m not the type of person to come out and speak ill of my father, but I am at the point where I feel the hockey world needs to have a bit better insight into my life.”

The allegations about Chris Brule’s handling of money, and references to photos, are unproven and disputed by Chris Brule.

“There was never any misappropriation of funds, there were no threats of using pictures, that’s totally inappropriate,” he said. “He (Gilbert) had full knowledge of the whereabouts of his funds at all times. No decisions were ever made without his authorization. It’s just totally inappropriate. He knew exactly where his money was at all times.”

It’s not like Brule is broke. He still has some money left over from the deal he signed with Edmonton, where the problems first flared up.

But he says he’s been through hell since then, although it’s now been well over six months that he’s been off the medication.

Brule’s talked through his issues with a couple of professionals, and he’s seeing a sports psychologist to seek improvement in his performance. The problem first reared its head in earnest when Brule was with the Oilers, and he got down over the fallout from the broken relationship with his dad.

“I went to see a therapist, who prescribed temporary medication, and I really don’t believe in taking drugs for a problem like that. I thought it should have been dealt with in a different way. But the Oilers wanted me back on the ice as soon as possible. It’s a business and I understand that, and I’m not trying to throw the Oilers under the bus; they reacted as any team would and should.

“But the medication didn’t make me better, it made it worse. And all the while I was trying to play through this. Now I’ve talked those issues through, my head is clear, I feel good. It’s actually fun again to be on the ice. That’s the thing with my father. I’m really happy and grateful that he got me into hockey, it’s just that any regular relationship with him while I’m playing isn’t going to work.”

Brule’s back training with Dusan Benicky, who was his fitness guru when he was a star with the Giants, a man with whom he’s been training since the age of nine.

They’re using the skating treadmill that the innovative Slovak trainer developed — and with personal trainers Shaun Karp and Deric Whyte, who have his body fat down to eight per cent from his previous 13 per cent. Brule’s cardio capacity is at an all-time high.

Curiously enough, if Brule was at the top of his game, he’d be the perfect fit for the Canucks, in that he could be that right-handed third-line centre capable of stepping up to a No. 2 spot if something happened to Ryan Kesler or Henrik Sedin.

“Naturally I’ve thought about Vancouver because I’m here, and I know they could use a centre,” said Brule. “The strange thing is that when my agent (Edmonton’s Gerry Johannson) talked to them before, when I was a free agent, they said no because of my father. A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy. But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”

Brule would probably be well advised to go for a tryout with an NHL team now, rather than sign a two-way deal. And Europe certainly seems more appealing financially than the AHL these days. But he hasn’t given up on hockey because now, for the first time in a long while, it’s going to be fun again.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #1648

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
C'mon Gillis, sign Brule! Gilbert is a depth centre, that might be willing to take a hometown discount given that he did not play in the NHL last season. He has skill and toughness.

Bring Brule home, MG!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #1649
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Brule too small he's a lesser Raymond
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #1650
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I hope Manny can get a shot with a new team. He deserves it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Closed Thread