REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #4501
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I dunno man.. seems like a lot of work for MG to fabricate stories about Cody's camp being difficult and then have to deal with the media for years to come. Would have been much easier to stay quiet and just say he didn't suit the organization's needs as much as a Kassian type player would (at the time).

Long story short, MG isn't the type of person to outright publicly lie about a situation IMO.
And you know this how? He could be doing this to cover his ass because he fucked up and knows it!!!
Advertisement
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM   #4502
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
-wonder what the team's record is
right now when they are trailing one goal or more heading into the third period of a game. Anybody have the stats?

Posted via RS Mobile

Canucks have 4 wins this season...
Pretty sure it's not hard to figure this one out. Lol
Old 10-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #4503
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
I dunno man.. seems like a lot of work for MG to fabricate stories about Cody's camp being difficult and then have to deal with the media for years to come. Would have been much easier to stay quiet and just say he didn't suit the organization's needs as much as a Kassian type player would (at the time).

Long story short, MG isn't the type of person to outright publicly lie about a situation IMO.
It's not so much "fabricate" stories, it's more making a mountain out of a mole hill and exaggerating stuff that happened to spin it into justification and positive spin on why he had to make what he knew was an unpopular, questionable move. Which is fine, Gillis was looking out for his coach at the time and his team. Routine player rep meetings and follow ups became blown into constant complaining. Issues with AV became player becoming difficult, but how many of us would put up with our bosses claiming we where lying about an injury when we really had an injury and then being treated like crap on a weekly if not daily basis.

Hey Gillis had to pick a side, he did, and he did what he felt at the time was needed, more power to him for that, which was believing AV was more the long term solution and in the Canucks plans.

"Spin" takes place all the time, remember when Gillis and the team kept saying how hard Kassian was working last summer, even putting out these short videos of him training, when most in the know knew he was still having issues focusing and partying way too much, which came to ahead when they had to bench him and send him down for being unfocused and off ice issues.

Most GMs and team officials will always spin what happened to the benefit of the team, which is fine.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #4504
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 54m
H. Sedin with Kesler, Higgins at practice. D. Sedin with Santorelli, Hansen. Schroeder with Booth, Kassian. Richardson with Sestito, Weise.
Dank gets the short end of the stick here.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #4505
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
If burrows was back I would say both lines are pretty even.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #4506
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
It's not so much "fabricate" stories, it's more making a mountain out of a mole hill and exaggerating stuff that happened to spin it into justification and positive spin on why he had to make what he knew was an unpopular, questionable move. Which is fine, Gillis was looking out for his coach at the time and his team. Routine player rep meetings and follow ups became blown into constant complaining. Issues with AV became player becoming difficult, but how many of us would put up with our bosses claiming we where lying about an injury when we really had an injury and then being treated like crap on a weekly if not daily basis.

Hey Gillis had to pick a side, he did, and he did what he felt at the time was needed, more power to him for that, which was believing AV was more the long term solution and in the Canucks plans.

"Spin" takes place all the time, remember when Gillis and the team kept saying how hard Kassian was working last summer, even putting out these short videos of him training, when most in the know knew he was still having issues focusing and partying way too much, which came to ahead when they had to bench him and send him down for being unfocused and off ice issues.

Most GMs and team officials will always spin what happened to the benefit of the team, which is fine.
Acting as a spin doctor can only get you so far as a NHL GM these days. If I'm Aquilini, I would like at Gillis's performance as a GM in terms of draft record, ability to make trades to improve the team, to see whether MG is the team's GM in the long term.

We'll see at the end of the Canucks season what kind of crap MG wants to spin about the team if it performs below the owner's expectations.

The bottom line is that this team has underperformed in the playoffs for the past two years. Gillis can spin it in any way, shape, or form. As the GM, he bears part of the responsiblity for this team's underachievement.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #4507
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Dank gets the short end of the stick here.
Don't mind the line change. Bold move to split up the Sedins, and it has worked.

Daniel's time to prove he's elite and can carry his own line.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #4508

-latest news about Oilers' plans to get a goalie as per Bob McKenzie:
Insider Trading: Oilers' goalies, Kunitz' Olympic hopes

Bob McKenzie: Devan Dubnyk's sub-par performance on Saturday night against the Toronto Maple Leafs does not have Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish pushing the panic button, but it does have him reaching for the telephone.

As early as Sunday, MacTavish has been working the phones and working them hard to determine the market for goaltenders. They are looking at every possibility, from Anaheim's Jonas Hiller to Buffalo's Ryan Miller to Brian Elliott in St. Louis to Michal Neuvirth in Washington and beyond.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #4509
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #4510
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Oh the fall of MG since the SCF...

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #4511
Banned (ABWS)?

No matter how any of it is spun. MG and AV both fucked up handling Hodgson.
We can continue to make ourselves feel better by pointing out Hodgson's "pointy-elbow" flaws, but he was a NHL-ready player that cracks our top 6, and we traded him for a guy who's slightly better than a plug that takes dumb penalties.

Should we wait a few more years, like when the Sedins retire, to see whether this turned out to be a good trade?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
Old 10-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #4512
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Yep, Gillis made a mistake with the Hodgson-Kassian trade. Will it be a mistake akin to the Cam Neely deal? Probably not, so let's move on.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #4513
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
-latest news about Oilers' plans to get a goalie as per Bob McKenzie:
Insider Trading: Oilers' goalies, Kunitz' Olympic hopes

Bob McKenzie: Devan Dubnyk's sub-par performance on Saturday night against the Toronto Maple Leafs does not have Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish pushing the panic button, but it does have him reaching for the telephone.

As early as Sunday, MacTavish has been working the phones and working them hard to determine the market for goaltenders. They are looking at every possibility, from Anaheim's Jonas Hiller to Buffalo's Ryan Miller to Brian Elliott in St. Louis to Michal Neuvirth in Washington and beyond.
Unless Edmonton gets the next Hasek, it won't matter what goalie they have with the scoring chances they're giving up.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #4514
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Agreed, stupid coilers
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #4515
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I think the Oilers have finally come to the realization they need to trade one of their young skilled forwards to address their defense and goaltending.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #4516
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
And Oilers need to understand they need centres as much as defense.

Nuge - Gagner - Gordon - Belanger

I don't know how good Gagner is as a second line centre.

I rather use the $6 million paid to Hemsky for someone else.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #4517
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Should have parlayed yakapov into something now his value is lower than ever
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #4518
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:

Ya, Gillis never lies....

Unraveling the seeming contradictions in Luongo and Gillis?s post-deadline press conferences
Old 10-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #4519
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
How exactly was Cody holding the Sabres ransom, it's called contract negotiations for a free agent. Both Sabres management and Cody confirmed that there was open dialogue between both sides during the summer, with two offers presented by the Sabres, one long term, one short term, that Cody took some time to mull over which route he preferred to take. He signed before camp started, he didn't hold out, so I don't get how fans in Vancouver keep thinking he was being difficult.

Contract negotiations are a two way street and like many other RFAs, this year and past (Pieterangelo, Stephan, Subban, Kadri, Tanev, etc... even Kesler in the past as a RFA) both sides took the summer to leverage the best deal for themselves and ultimately meet somewhere in the middle .

I can understand how Vancouver fans and media are kind of biased against Cody, you are fans of the team and mostly due to how Gillis has spun his departure, but that is all it is, a spin job by Gillis to save face. Those here on RS that know me personally can atest to the fact that I personally know a number of the Canucks and NHLers and have personal and professional dealings with them, that is how I knew the Burrows extension and contract details before any media member or source announced it and posted it on RS for you guys.

I've posted this when the trade happened, and I'll post it again now since so many seem to have bought into the Gillis spin job and bs. From my understanding from people in the organization, all that really happened was Cody's agent checking in with the Canucks and talking about some issues, which every agent does for their player a few times a year. Guess what, NHL management routinely fields calls from player's representatives a couple times a year regarding everything from players days off, per diems, travel arrangements, followup on players play and how they being used on the team, etc... this happens for every player. For those of us with professions where we don't have an agent or management, we deal with these request and job reviews ourselves with our bosses, in sports, entertainment and fields with agents, the agents deal with this.

The one thing with Cody's agent that was routinely discussed that was perhaps a bit uncommon was his relationship with AV, but that was a disaster right off the bat, mostly due to AV accusing Cody of faking an injury and not wanting to work hard in his first camp, when later, it was proven that AV was wrong and Cody did have a serious back issue. AV is known to be extra hard on talented young kids and favor the less talented grinder types as AV seemed to always resent players who had everything come so natural to them as AV never had it that way when he played and related more to the Tanner Glass type of player himself. AV's treatment of Cody seemed to get worse after he was made to look idiotic for denying Cody had a legitimate back injury and it kept going down hill from there out of resentment from AV's side, there was some serious fucked up day to day treatment of Cody by AV on a continuing basis. Gillis knew he had to make a decision, move Cody or fire AV, Gillis at that time ultimately decided to stick with AV, so the spin job started. Taking routine player's representative discussions with the team, that happens all the time with every player, and making it more than it really was, because he knew the was a legitimate underlying issue between AV and Cody. Gillis decided to stick with AV at that time, and spun the trade and dealings to make AV and the Canucks look 100% positive.

I agree with you 100%!

I love how the rest of those that enjoy slandering Cody eats up whatever Canucks spin out and call it the truth. Tanev held out just as long with his contract this year if you guys recall, yet he's a saint and Cody Hodgson was a diva? Coho gets benched after he scores a goal.

Also, seems like a great time to plug the blog post I wrote after the CoHo trade: Dissecting the 2011-12 Canucks Carcass - By Vincent | Rob The Hockey GuyRob The Hockey Guy

If it's so easy to plump out a player's offensive stats just based on plump offensive zone starts, you'd figured they would've done so with the talentless Booth and Kassian already.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #4520
I STILL don't get it

^ cept Coho actually had offensive talent so it wasn't exactly a detriment to the team, booth on the other hand .. lol and if its for the basis of trading him, no one cares whether booth has good stats he has a shit contract that no one wants so its a totally different scenario.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #4521

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff99 View Post
I agree with all the posts today about MG. Keep in mind that Gillis was a former player agent and has a law degree. I've known a few lawyers that have bent the truth in their careers to suit their needs.

Spinning the truth about CoHo? -sounds pretty routine for MG.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #4522

Evander Kane gets injured during practice. A leg injury. -own team mate falls on his leg.

Kane injured during practice, extent not yet known
Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #4523
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
All this talk and guess what team we play next?

Wouldn't mind at all if CoHo lights us up so CDC goes ballistic.... as long as we get the W
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #4524
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Who gives a shit? Hodgson is not a Canuck anymore, Kassian is.

I support Kassian now. No point living in the past and in the "what could have been" world.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #4525
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

agree

just gotta look forward and hope Kassian turns out into the power forward he should be

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Closed Thread