REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #9151
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 143 (87 members and 56 guests)

Gillis' search for another centre right now further proves he had absolutely no plan for a 3C after trading our good friend (don't say Shredder.....lol)

inb4 Gillis: "It's a process."
inb4 Henrik: "We played well tonight, the bounces just didn't go our way"
pretty much what hank said
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #9152
My homepage has been set to RS

I realize Edler has a NTC, but if you're trying to move the guy and it's to a decent team, there's a chance he'll waive it. I'm just saying, it's aggravating watching a group that clearly isn't good enough go out and lose like this, especially with a mainly idle GM the past couple years.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #9153
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but Edler has a NTC.

Edit: and his playing stock isn't at an all time high. GL getting that top 6 forward.
Things can change over a season in terms of Edler's value. If his play improves and MG convinces him to waive the NTC,
who knows?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #9154
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
^ You guys are funny.

So what do you expect for Edler? A top-6 forward right? What do you think the GM on the other line is going to say to that offer after looking at Edler's stats this year. The sheer fact that MG would be shopping him around would reek of desperation. Hello Schneider scenerio all over again. All for what? So fans like you can get the "change-up" you're looking for?

Edit: The Canucks aren't going anywhere this year. Likely not even next year. Likely never (as in the Sedin era). No change will magically change the Canucks for the better.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #9155

Quote:
^ You guys are funny.

So what do you expect for Edler? A top-6 forward right? What do you think the GM on the other line is going to say to that offer after looking at Edler's stats this year. The sheer fact that MG would be shopping him around would reek of desperation. Hello Schneider scenerio all over again. All for what? So fans like you can get the "change-up" you're looking for?

Edit: The Canucks aren't going anywhere this year. Likely not even next year. Likely never (as in the Sedin era). No change will magically change the Canucks for the better.
Oh ok, so I guess it makes more sense to do nothing and let the team continue to fail, let the players get older and have their value decrease, and just run with this because "no change will magically change the Canucks for the better".
Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #9156
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Cue the maximal jimmy rustling ITT

Strong Devorski.... "_____ was being an asshole"
Anybody can lip read the first part? Kass?

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 01-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #9157

Classy statement by Bruce.

Quote:
Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 1m
Boudreau: "I don't like those kind of games. You don't want to ever intentionally embarrass another team. I've been on the other side."
Also.. this is pretty nuts.

Quote:
Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff 15m
#Canucks PK fell from top-spot (89.7%) to 2nd spot (86.5%) in #NHL...so dropped 3.2% in one night. Ducks were 6/11 on PP
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #9158

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Oh ok, so I guess it makes more sense to do nothing and let the team continue to fail, let the players get older and have their value decrease, and just run with this because "no change will magically change the Canucks for the better".
Yep. Look what that "do nothing attitude" brought teams like LA, Pittsburgh, and Chicago. Canuck fans are too fickle to wait through thin times in order to go through the only sure-fire way to get better. You can already see attendance falling. It's no longer "hip" to carry a Canucks ticket because they're no longer an elite team. The team should tank, but this city would drop the Canucks faster than a c lai dropping a Hyundai key fob.

Only 1 team has been able to reload year after year with "success". And that's Detroit, who evidently MG originally wanted to model this organization after. Unlike Detroit, the Canucks didn't have superstars such as Yzerman, Federov, Lidstrom et al to teach the Zetterbergs and Datsyuks how to win in this league. Even then, their luck is slowly running out after a 20+ year run.

The Sedins were literally manna from heaven. Think about it- the city almost ran them out. Lucky for us though, they had the balls to use it as motivation and be the closest thing to superstars this city has seen since Bure. Kesler decided to score 41 in a season, and all of a sudden the team's elite.

The Canucks are going nowhere in the near future. The window was closed when they were swept last season. There are almost no moves to make that makes this team a bonafide Cup contender. Like someone said earlier, Higgins was traded to be a 4th liner, or move up to a 3rd line role in a pinch. Now he's somehow a 2nd line winger? That tells you how bad the Canucks depth at forward really is.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #9159

Hey, if the Canucks were going to tank like LA, Pittsburgh, and Chi, I would be all for it - but that's not the reality. As you said, the city would drop the team so fast - do you think the Aquillini's would let that happen? They're businessmen, they want to make money.

Because GMMG wants to follow the Detroit model, I don't see us tanking anytime soon. So I'm thinking and speaking of how we can possibly improve the team within the realm of realism, not a fantasy where we tank for a couple top 3 picks. It's easy to say some moves won't change the team, but you never know until it happens.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #9160
I bringith the lowerballerith

didnt flip out
Old 01-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #9161

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Hey, if the Canucks were going to tank like LA, Pittsburgh, and Chi, I would be all for it - but that's not the reality. As you said, the city would drop the team so fast - do you think the Aquillini's would let that happen? They're businessmen, they want to make money.

Because GMMG wants to follow the Detroit model, I don't see us tanking anytime soon. So I'm thinking and speaking of how we can possibly improve the team within the realm of realism, not a fantasy where we tank for a couple top 3 picks. It's easy to say some moves won't change the team, but you never know until it happens.
Then the Canucks will go nowhere. Like I said, there are no deals out there that make the Canucks elite. Why trade away prospects if they're not going to win the Cup.

If you want a trade so bad, look at the potential sellers in the league (there aren't that many, so that's easy). Then from there, target a player that you think will help the Canucks. Work out the salaries to see if the trade is feasible, and if so, count that as a potential trade. Post them up here to see just how many moves there really are. Fans who call for trades think they can just happen like magic. There's no doubt MG is on the phone 24/7 trying to improve this team. The fact that there have been no trades shows to me that nobody wants any Canuck players for the price MG is asking (which, like you, is likely a top-6 forward).

You say that my way of thinking is a fantasy. Well unfortunately, trading Edler for a top-6 forward who can score at will is as much pie-in-the-sky as tanking.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #9162

canucks tickets are hip? maybe because there's an influx of bandwagoners as the team has been successful. will the city lose its appeal to the canucks if they tank? don't think so, you got thousands of people on season ticket wait list, and if it does go bad tickets will drop letting real fans, who cant afford current prices go back. the reason there are empty seats is due to the price or the fact many seats are owned by businesses who dont show up.
detroit model is being competitive every year, making the playoff is considered competitive. what have the canucks been doing, and what will they do this year. theres no trades due due to the cap going down this year, most teams dont have cap space. they will have to ask teams to retain salary, which will likely drive the price up. its also an olympic year effectively creating 2 trade deadlines. teams dont want to buy to early as it takes more cap room. which ever team goes in hard first, likely before the olympic break will start a frenzy

Last edited by dbaz; 01-15-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #9163

Sooo when the Canucks were technically tanking by accident in the late 90s/early 2000s where were those fans then? Yeah sure tickets would become available to the younger crowd. But how sustainable would that be is the question with respect to that.

And yes you're right the Detroit model is how you described it. Since 2003 (except for the 2-3 times they missed the playoffs) you could argue that the Canucks had a chance to win it all every year. But no cup to show for it. Detroit has 4 in theirs. So in that sense, I don't think the Canucks have much to show for modelling themselves after Detroit.

Given the division they play in now and the team as it's currently constructed, do you honestly believe that the Canucks will be "competitive" in the coming years? Making the playoffs to get bounced in the first round in 4/5 games is hardly competitive in my humble opinion.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #9164

Quote:
And yes you're right the Detroit model is how you described it. Since 2003 (except for the 2-3 times they missed the playoffs) you could argue that the Canucks had a chance to win it all every year. But no cup to show for it. Detroit has 4 in theirs. So in that sense, I don't think the Canucks have much to show for modelling themselves after Detroit.
uhhh Detroit has only had 1 cup in that time, and it came at the tail end of probably the best 3rd line ive seen in the playoffs. if you are including before that, which is technically a different system, the red wings used something the canucks couldnt due to funds. detroit had the best scouting due to money other teams couldnt afford to put in, and were able to outscout other teams to find gems, they also signed top players all the time because they had the money or could afford to take on the contracts from other teams.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:43 PM   #9165

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
uhhh Detroit has only had 1 cup in that time, and it came at the tail end of probably the best 3rd line ive seen in the playoffs.
I mean their run, which spanned 90s and 2000s. That's what I meant by saying "in theirs [sic]"- as in their playoff run. I'm counting the Canucks from 2003 onward because that's when they started to make the playoffs consistently, which satisfies your definition of the Detroit model.

That said, 1 > 0.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
if you are including before that, which is technically a different system, the red wings used something the canucks couldnt due to funds. detroit had the best scouting due to money other teams couldnt afford to put in, and were able to outscout other teams to find gems, they also signed top players all the time because they had the money or could afford to take on the contracts from other teams.
Adding in this part since you edited. I'll give you the non-cap era part. That's a good point. But if you count the 04 Canucks team that should've made it to at least the conference finals, they played in the same era as the 2002 Cup winning Wings. So I'd count that cup too (on top of 08).

The scouting is something that Detroit had over everyone. That's why they were Detroit. It helped them make the playoffs for 20+ years. The limp scouting that the Canucks have had over the better part of, I don't know, 4 decades is another reason to add to the growing list of "why the Canucks won't win a Stanley Cup in the Sedin era". But it hasn't really hampered the Canucks' ability on making the playoffs during their run.

Back to the Anaheim game: Did anyone catch the fans taking a pictures of the score with less than a minute left? Very good on their part.

Last edited by m3thods; 01-15-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #9166

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
woww..... missed the game (and glad i did) but why was eddie lack pulled? i see on the score sheet he was 10/13.... but your backup is eriksson...
Old 01-15-2014, 10:57 PM   #9167

^ Mercy pull. You could see Torts go to him right after. One could assume he was saying "it's not you, it's us" or something along those lines.

They need Lack more for the game tomorrow, as it has an immediate consequence to their playoff position.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #9168

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
oh right back to back
Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #9169

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Canucks were 2 pts behind LA before Monday's game and were #1 PK in the league before tonight's game.

Can we talk about making trades for a sniper or a gamebreaker instead?

Spoiler!

Last edited by Mike Oxbig; 01-15-2014 at 11:09 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #9170
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Like someone said earlier, Canucks are missing quite a few pieces to make a serious run for the cup.
There's holes in every line. One sniper isn't going to solve anything with a weak bottom 6, and a missing #1 Dman.
Might keep our playoff streak going if that's the goal for staying competitive...
It'll be a slow process, but realistically, Canucks are just going to limp into the playoffs (if even) for the next few years.
Too many players not panning out (fast enough?), and trades are tough when the players don't have value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGCStrike View Post
Don't expect it... Torts isn't going to flip out any more.
He made it clear when he got hired that he knows it made him look silly,
and the media will just keep playing the same clip over and over again to ruin his rep.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 01-15-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 AM   #9171
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
BWAHAHAHAHHAAAA

LOL, ref goes back to other refs, calls someone an asshole, points to Nucks bench (prob Torts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Cue the maximal jimmy rustling ITT

Spoiler!

Strong Devorski.... "_____ was being an asshole"
Anybody can lip read the first part? Kass?
It was right after Torts gave him an earful for the first misconduct/5 on 3.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
Old 01-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #9172

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
How does Torts and his assistants fix this awful PP?

Inb4 Booth tanks in the next few games and Torts puts him in the press box again.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #9173
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Well, last nights game got people in my office talking about the canucks this morning.

Too bad it's all just about how much of an embarrassment that was last night.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Old 01-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #9174
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,318 Times in 647 Posts

Last edited by LUUUUUUUU; 01-16-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #9175
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
^ couple pages back brah..

worth a second look doe

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /