REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #10426
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Contrary to their current state, their game is based on two things- intelligence/hockey IQ and puck-protection.

It took the league almost 10 years to figure the Sedin game out. Now that other teams have caught on (be it by pure athleticism/skill of the new breed of players coming up or just plain tape work), the Sedins are less effective (though just remember how well they were playing prior to re-signing their next contract).

The reason why the Sedins are so well-respected and were able to get so good was their drive to become better. Whenever they discovered "flaws", they hauled ass in the offseason to get better at it. The problem is that the last 2-3 years have posed shortened/non-existent off-seasons for training. With a full off-season of recovery and training, I have no reason to suspect that they will just all of a sudden quit trying to get better.

If they were to somehow able to get somewhat healthy, I think you can safely expect 70ish points from now on. If you give them a bonafide elite sniper, you'll maybe get 85 points. Age has no real effect on intelligence or puck protection, so I don't think it'll be a "traditional" hockey player drop-off with them.

The caveats to my thinking are:

1. Daniel's hockey IQ may have been affected by his concussion.
2. The twins will always put the team first, even if that means they should be resting injuries to get back to 80+ percent.
Agreed 100% about the Sedins. I've always though the same thing about them, that the fall off won't be the same because their game doesn't rely on pure physicality or athleticism like so many other players. They're thinkers of the game, and that's what has made them so good. You've gotta think the concussion has affected Daniel, because his play lately just hasn't made sense. The first bit of the season was fine, but now it's just mind boggling how invisible he's been.

Quote:
If only the Sedins would follow.

It's really too bad that he can't make it. I was basically drooling at the prospect of him and Crosby playing together (or even him and Tavares). Unfortunately he may not have another shot with the next Olympics in Seoul and no NHL player participation guaranteed yet. But good for him for being realistic.

How does Yzerman pass St. Louis now in the hallways and not pick him. I see him pulling a veto on all of Hockey Canada to get him on. He's been absolutely on fire since being snubbed.
If Yzerman passes on St. Louis now, it will be a huge slap in the face. Basically saying not only were you not going to make the team to start with, but you weren't even the top guy if someone were to get injured. Giroux is a right shot, but still.
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #10427
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Damn was really hoping Stamkos would make it, but I'm glad he's not going in at less than his best.

Hoping St. Louis gets the nod now.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #10428
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
I just don't understand why Henrik thinks he is helping the team by playing hurt. Valk said it right during the Detroit game intermissions. Torts needs to tell Henrik to not play games and give his rib injury time to heal.

He was not effective at all in the Detroit game. Took one faceoff. Could not shoot from the backhand. If you have torn cartilage in your rib area, then you need rest.

There's no ironman streak at stake. Although Henrik wants to help the team by playing even if he is less than 100%, Torts should tell him that he's not playing. He's a tough guy who can take the pain but is it the smart thing to do to play hurt?

Why take the risk of aggravating the injury from an opposing player's bodycheck?

We need him to be at 100% if this team is gonna make the playoffs. Heck, if there was no Olympics happening, he shouldn't be playing and rest to get better.
good to know you're watching your idol analyst and taking notes
/RS Gary Valk

--

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 7h
The injury to #Canucks defenseman Dan Hamhuis is minor - his agent Wade Arnott telling us moments ago.

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 7h
The injury to #Canucks defenseman Dan Hamhuis is minor - his agent Wade Arnott telling us moments ago.

guess thats some good news...

holy crap..

Florida Panthers @FlaPanthers
Bring $10 in non-winning @FloridaLottery Scratch-Off tix & get in free to any Tuesday or Thursday #FlaPanthers game. http://bit.ly/1eec1JS

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #10429
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
who remembers samuelsson getting snubbed for the olympics? his reaction to it was the best
Spoiler!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:35 PM   #10430
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
Agreed 100% about the Sedins. I've always though the same thing about them, that the fall off won't be the same because their game doesn't rely on pure physicality or athleticism like so many other players. They're thinkers of the game, and that's what has made them so good. You've gotta think the concussion has affected Daniel, because his play lately just hasn't made sense. The first bit of the season was fine, but now it's just mind boggling how invisible he's been.

If Yzerman passes on St. Louis now, it will be a huge slap in the face. Basically saying not only were you not going to make the team to start with, but you weren't even the top guy if someone were to get injured. Giroux is a right shot, but still.
On the Sedins.. bingo, you can fall off the map on your play due to age, but it will never take your thinking of the game away...

with that said.. we may be wrong?

St.Louis has been class act all the way. He makes people around him play THAT much better. Palaat and Johnson anyone?

Yzerman HAS to do something...

now if only.... JEFF FUCKING CARTER CAN BE LEFT OFF THE TEAM SO GIROUX CAN JOIN AS WELL

because 10pts and -2 since announcement isn't looking too good.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #10431
I don't get it

^agree with the notion of concussion affected the mind of Daniel.
Funny I was just reading an article about a study on concussion and basically something along the line that the inflammation of the brain cause blood flow differently.

I didn't watch the early years of the sedins. Where they that slow on the skates during their early years?

Do you guys think they could be more effective if they actually finish their checks with a bit more effort? They aren't considered small players and I do see them throw a decent check here and there
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #10432
x_x

Can't wait for Sochi!

This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #10433
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Florida Panthers @FlaPanthers
Bring $10 in non-winning @FloridaLottery Scratch-Off tix & get in free to any Tuesday or Thursday #FlaPanthers game. Florida Lottery Scratch-Off Ticket Promotions - Florida Panthers - Fan Zone
hahahah a wad of garbage is what it costs to go to a panthers game while a wad of cash only gets us upper bowl here (although tickets have been easier to come by recently...)
Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #10434

getting tired of valk, the rs one, and the sportsnet one
if the team hasnt played better by the end of the heritage game, id contemplate letting the injured players rest til next season. new coach + new system + injuries to top 6 + no depth, really takes away from any chance to get in a groove. we also get a better pick
Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #10435
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
hahahah a wad of garbage is what it costs to go to a panthers game while a wad of cash only gets us upper bowl here (although tickets have been easier to come by recently...)
Who wants to pay to go watch what we've been watching for the last 5 weeks?
Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #10436
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
lol if you guys check on Ticketmaster there's quite a number of tickets unsold...

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #10437
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow20xx View Post
Funny I was just reading an article about a study on concussion and basically something along the line that the inflammation of the brain cause blood flow differently.

I didn't watch the early years of the sedins. Where they that slow on the skates during their early years?

Do you guys think they could be more effective if they actually finish their checks with a bit more effort? They aren't considered small players and I do see them throw a decent check here and there
Posted via RS Mobile
Essentially, they bulked up as the years went by. Their play down low is what began their deadly cycle game. Why were the Canucks Defence so deadly on the offence? It's because when the Twins began the cycle. They have the ability to create many options for a tic tac toe play.

As the years went by, people figured it out, they would all collapse to contain the twins, pinning them to the boards, limiting options by taking away passing lanes.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #10438
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
lol if you guys check on Ticketmaster there's quite a number of tickets unsold...
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #10439
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
ya bro got 2 tix $30
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #10440
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow20xx View Post

Posted via RS Mobile

Early Sedins were a sight to behold. Where do you think the term "sisters" came from? They were extremely fragile on their feet. If defencemen breathed on them, they would tumble. They were slower than they are now (if you can believe it). There are a ton of Canucks fans who called for their trades out of town because of that. Instead of succumbing to the ridicule and hate, they persevered and became arguably the best 2 players in franchise history. It still boggles my mind how much abuse they were able to take and still treat this city as their own. They were getting shat on left and right in their early years. This is why I have so much respect for them, and I am probably in the minority in that I hope they finish their careers here (regardless of salary).

And I don't think they can become more effective if they were more physical. If you watch closely, they take a beating along the boards protecting the puck for each other/their teammates to pick up. Sometimes they're battling 2 defenders, which is why one always seems to be open. If they decided to finish checks, they would probably run out of gas sooner and not be able to cycle as long. Plus they seem to be pretty good with poking pucks away or picking defenders' pockets. Where they get into trouble is when they've been cycling for 2+ minutes and take hooking calls because they're gassed.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #10441
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Keep in mind the Sedins are pretty big these days. They're 6'2" (H) and 6'1" (D) and the 180 lb range. A little light but considering their clean lifestyle and the Canucks awesome training programs, that's probably all muscle. Plus they're fast and crafty and have become very exciting to watch these last few years. Hopefully they'll pull their weight again and we can start to win some games again.

Let's see what happens in Montreal tomorrow. It's come to the point where they have to win now. This isn't beer league where everyone makes the playoffs...
Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #10442
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Wood du Kesler+ 4 Galchenyuk
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #10443
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
^translation: Big Earl would have sex with Kesler and possibly other Canucks, if Galchenyuk asked.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 AM   #10444

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Wood du Kesler+ 4 Galchenyuk
sportsnet trade tracker yo
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 AM   #10445
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Keep in mind the Sedins are pretty big these days. They're 6'2" (H) and 6'1" (D) and the 180 lb range. A little light but considering their clean lifestyle and the Canucks awesome training programs, that's probably all muscle. Plus they're fast and crafty and have become very exciting to watch these last few years. Hopefully they'll pull their weight again and we can start to win some games again.

Let's see what happens in Montreal tomorrow. It's come to the point where they have to win now. This isn't beer league where everyone makes the playoffs...
Fun fact: the Twins measured 6'1" 194 lbs and 6'2" 196 lbs at their first training camp in 1999. They lost a lot of baby fat over the years (down to 187 and 188 lbs per NHL.com).
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #10446
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
If only Henrik and Daniel improved their skating during the career so that
these guys could score goals off the rush like Stamkos and Ovechkin. They're slow skaters compared to those two snipers.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by pastarocket; 02-06-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #10447
My homepage has been set to RS

St. Louis confirmed
Old 02-06-2014, 07:05 AM   #10448
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristianhay View Post
St. Louis confirmed
Absolute right choice. He should've made the team from the beginning. Happy for him.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #10449
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I just don't understand why Henrik thinks he is helping the team by playing hurt. Valk said it right during the Detroit game intermissions. Torts needs to tell Henrik to not play games and give his rib injury time to heal.

There's no ironman streak at stake. Although Henrik wants to help the team by playing even if he is less than 100%, Torts should tell him that he's not playing. He's a tough guy who can take the pain but is it the smart thing to do to play hurt?
Hank will play if the team doctors clear him to play. The fact that Torts gives him play time at all tells you that Torts feels a broken Hank is still more effective than other players available to him--so yeah. We all know Torts has a coaching style of approaching each game 1 game at a time. So he will do whatever it takes to win that 1 game, for better or for worse.

Quote:
If only Henrik and Daniel improved their skating during the career so that these guys could score goals off the rush like Stamkos and Ovechkin. They're slow skaters compared to those two snipers.
Posted via RS Mobile
You're an idiot. You think speed like Stamkos and Ovechkin can be learned by working harder in the off season? Maybe Stamkos and Ovi can learn to play off the boards, cycle, and pass like the Sedins as well too. lol
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #10450
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Dan Murphy @sportsnetmurph
#Canucks Henrik and Hamhuis are out versus #canadiens. Richardson, Higgins are in. Henrik will not play Saturday versus #leafs either.
9:11 AM - 6 Feb 2014
Good, they could use the rest.
fml
Closed Thread