REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #12801
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Wow going back in time, this articles nails it.

"Tortorella, in fact, is so far removed from Gillis and his methods that this hire had to originate from somewhere else; somewhere, and we’re just spitballing here, like Canucks ownership. And when ownership gets involved in decisions of this magnitude, it’s a sure sign the organization is in a state of dysfunction."

Canucks' hiring of John Tortorella feels an awful lot like Mike Keenan 2.0
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #12802
RS controls my life!

Brian Burke can draft us out of this slump were having at the moment. I like Brian Burke because GM's respect him as well.

If we draft well in 2014 and 2015. This mid life crisis the Canucks are having right now will be a distant memory.

I am actually excited for our future.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 AM   #12803
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Brian Burke can draft us out of this slump were having at the moment. I like Brian Burke because GM's respect him as well.

If we draft well in 2014 and 2015. This mid life crisis the Canucks are having right now will be a distant memory.

I am actually excited for our future.
Canucks drafting well...

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 AM   #12804
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,686 Posts
So many questions about this team and the coaching staff right now.
How do they respond in the Winnipeg game after this mother of all meltdowns?

The players need to play for pride and for each other. If I got embarrassed like that in my own rink, I' m gonna done everything I can to make sure this never, ever happens again.

If Torts just yells at the players instead of focussing on helping his players execute a gameplan, he'll get a team mutiny if not already.
The next game is also a big test of the coaching staff's ability to help a team execute in every aspect of a game and concentrate on their game.

It was a bloody comedy of errors last night. Torts should just spin it and focus on the only positives: "Guys, we scored four goals." Hahahh.

Henrik, Higgy, Kesler scored. Wow, how often does that happen in a game?
Posted via RS Mobile

Gillis should get a team psychologist to help this mentally fragile team.
No joke.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:41 AM   #12805
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Canucks drafting well...

We drafted well in the past:

Alex Edler, Ryan Kesler, Sedin's, Mason Raymond, Cody Hodgson, Micheal Grabner, Cory Schneider.

Don't think we can't pick up someone that we can build from.

Forgot JUICE... He's going down with our ship.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 AM   #12806

Who thinks Torts is gonna be fired before the end of the season?
I don't see Aquaman willing to eat up both Gillis and Torts' contracts like
his favorite pasta.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #12807
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I think it's also time to examine Francesco Aquilini and how this franchise is been run by him. He's a pretty hands on guy and it's hard to believe that Gillis has the final say on a lot of the transactions and signings. It wouldn't surprise me if Gillis sticks around because from the outside looking it, it seems like Gillis is the puppet and Aquilini the puppet master. Doubt he'll find a veteran GM that will put up with a owner who's so hands on.

And it seems like the more the owners are involved, the worst the team is. Look at the situation with the Oilers and Islanders. And who can remember the Hawks from a few years ago who's owner wouldn't allow games to be shown on local TV which resulted in the Hawks averaging like 13,000 people a game and one of the worst franchises in the NHL. It wasn't until the owner died and his son took over that the team finally turned around.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:40 AM   #12808

Aquilini is micromanaging this team as the puppet master behind the scenes.

Like I posted before on this thread, Canucks fans should not buy tickets to games. Support the team by watching games only on TV. The corporate buyers who are not real fans will be there to buy tickets.
When Aquaman sees his team bleed money from less season ticket renewals and less merchandise spending, maybe, just maybe he will adopt a hands off approach with this franchise.

Let the GM do his job properly!
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 AM   #12809
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
I wish we had the Leafs' offence

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #12810
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
shitty deal for some of the workers at Rogers

Vancouver Canucks concession staff's contract terminated - British Columbia - CBC News

Nearly 1,000 people who serve food and beverages at Vancouver Canucks hockey games and other events at Rogers Arena will be out of work in a few months.

Concession and food service employees arriving at work Monday were given notices telling them that their employer Aramark's contract at the arena, which was supposed to last into 2015, had been terminated early.

Canucks Sports & Entertainment, the same group that owns and operate the Vancouver Canucks hockey team, has had a contract with Aramark since the arena opened 18 years ago.

Aramark employees - Rogers Arena concessions food and beverage
Staff who serve popcorn, hot dogs, beer other food and beverages at Rogers Arena learned Monday that they will be out of work in a few months. (CBC)

The arena's chief operating officer Victor de Bonis said "big changes" in the arena's food and drink services are going to be unveiled July 1, and they plan to run the concession themselves, including hiring 1,000 new workers.

"Everyone will have a fair opportunity to apply and we will soon announce plans for a job fair and other opportunities as they become available,” de Bonis said in a written statement.

"Aramark has been our provider since we opened our arena in 1995 and we thank them for their years of service," he said.

David Freireich, a spokesman for Aramark, said the company is disputing the early contract termination, but decided it was important to let the affected employees know about the notice of contract termination it received.

Employees of Aramark who spoke with CBC News said they currently earn between $13 and $18 an hour and are concerned the new jobs that being created will be lower-paying.

Aramark employees - Rogers Arena concessions food and beverage
Canucks Sports & Entertainment says it plans to hire its own employees to run the concessions and restaurants starting July 1. (CBC)

Canucks Sports & Entertainment has not said what range of wages it will be offering.

A notice posted on the University of British Columbia's calendar of public events says that Canucks Sports & Entertainment is holding a job fair on campus today, though it does not say whether the positions it is trying to fill involve food and beverage services, or just other arena positions
Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #12811
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Remember when the Aquilini's went behind their former partner Gaglardi/Beedie's back to purchase the Canucks from McCaw. Wonder how different the Canucks would be now if the courts ruled in favor of Gaglardi, Gaglardi went on to purchase the Stars, and recently was on Sirus (https://soundcloud.com/siriusxmnhl/o...lasstars-owner) talking about his ownership/management style with the Stars and the Kamloops Blazers, picking the right hockey people to run the operation and not having to do it himself. Seems the complete opposite of Aquilini seemingly constantly interfering and micromanaging and needing to be front and center of everything with his ego.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #12812
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
I wish we had the Leafs' offence
The East defense is awful. Everyone has a good offense in the East. That's why the inter-conference records every year are usually heavily favoured towards the West.

I wonder what the deal is with the concession workers. Did Aquilini just terminate it knowing the playoffs are no good and that he doesn't have to pay them the rest of the way? Or is he replacing them? Seems like a scumbag move.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #12813

Aquilini is probably thinking that he can make more money by hiring foreign workers to work in his arena's concession stands. Pay these workers lower wages and fewer, if any benefits so that he can count more dollar bills.

He treats the Canucks like one of his blueberry farm businesses. An arrogant, egotistic guy who knows nothing about running a NHL team. He micromanages it to make it profitable at the expense of the quality of team's play.

Based on the previous post about that Canucks ownership article, Gaglardi would have been a better owner in terms of letting a veteran GM build the team.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #12814
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Aquilini is probably thinking that he can make more money by hiring foreign workers to work in his arena's concession stands. Pay these workers lower wages and fewer, if any benefits so that he can count more dollar bills.

He treats the Canucks like one of his blueberry farm businesses. An arrogant, egotistic guy who knows nothing about running a NHL team. He micromanages it to make it profitable at the expense of the quality of team's play.

Based on the previous post about that Canucks ownership article, Gaglardi would have been a better owner in terms of letting a veteran GM build the team.
Until the Dallas stars win something or at least make the playoffs consistently, aquilini track record with the Canucks is still better. 2 presidents. Division titles. Playoffs. Stanley cup finals.

I sometime wonder if we won the cup back in 2011 and even if they blow it up now. Would I be as angry?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #12815
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Feel bad for the arena staff as two super nice older Filipino women I see almost every day who work at my local Timmy's also work at Rogers arena for the game shifts. Sucks to stiff hard working people like them
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #12816
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Until the Dallas stars win something or at least make the playoffs consistently, aquilini track record with the Canucks is still better. 2 presidents. Division titles. Playoffs. Stanley cup finals.

I sometime wonder if we won the cup back in 2011 and even if they blow it up now. Would I be as angry?
Posted via RS Mobile
I know I wouldn't be as upset.

But at the same time, I recognize that we need to retool and rebuild. The environment has simply become too complacent and toxic with all the NTCs. It would be best to try to get as much return as possible and then move forward with the new team in a new direction.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 AM   #12817

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts

I'll stop giving a damn about the Canucks if we try and squeeze into the playoffs every year with the 8th seed. For now, please tank it's the best for both the fans and this organization.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #12818
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Ok my boss just told me something interesting which I'm not sure is the truth or not that he heard from someone from the Canucks head office on the weekend..

He said the real reason why Schneider was traded the way he was is because Kesler was banging his wife and Cory said either I go or he goes and of course he was traded... Not sure if this is close to legit or not but has anyone heard anything like this?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #12819
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Wasnt this a rumour last year when he was traded? John Garrett actually brought up a good point yesterday. When kesler gave away the puck and Eddie lack had to make a save, Garrett was saying how kesler is going to give his goalie a tap for making the save. Nothing.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #12820

Doubt it's true.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM   #12821
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Ok my boss just told me something interesting which I'm not sure is the truth or not that he heard from someone from the Canucks head office on the weekend..

He said the real reason why Schneider was traded the way he was is because Kesler was banging his wife and Cory said either I go or he goes and of course he was traded... Not sure if this is close to legit or not but has anyone heard anything like this?
Does your boss have them confused with Brown & McLean?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #12822
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
That was a rumor from last year, yea

I've also heard from fairly reputable sources within the team (albeit their info hasn't panned out in the past) that schneids was a nervous wreck when it actually came to games that mattered like starting the playoff series etc he would be puking his guts out minutes before the game Ala Donavan McNab
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #12823

Seemed to be ok for James Hunt lol

Cory in his limited playoff experiences was underwhelming considering how awesome he was in the regular season. Given his age though, I'd expect an elite goalie like that would learn to shake it off when it matters the most.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #12824
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Does your boss have them confused with Brown & McLean?
That's exactly what I said lol
Old 03-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #12825
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
So fun fact, Torts when coaching TBL had been in a very similar situation as last night. TBL was up 3 goals in the third and they blew the tire, and let in 6 in the third against BUF. Check out game summary of that game:

Game Summary
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
Closed Thread