REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   good chinese food in surrey (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685598-good-chinese-food-surrey.html)

wasabisashimi 06-25-2013 08:52 AM

good chinese food in surrey

Can someone recommend a good Chinese restaurant in surrey. I am look for non-overprice place with Chinese combo menu like 8dishes with free crab and soup for 108$ ..etc.

I am treating a family from hk and I don't to take them for chicken chowmein and sweet and sour pork if You know What I mean?

Thanks
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 06-25-2013 09:01 AM

Kam Do on 104th, go their all the time and the food is great... Coming from a white guy that knows his shit ;)

King Do Seafood Resturant - Whalley - Surrey | Urbanspoon

Sushi604 06-25-2013 09:01 AM

You might as well be asking where I can find a good East Indian restaurant in Richmond.

It doesn't exist bro.

aznkev03 06-25-2013 01:34 PM

Lee Yuen across from Superstore on 104 ave & 148 st is good but pricey.

You should strongly consider taking them out of Surrey.
Posted via RS Mobile

Renxo 06-25-2013 02:20 PM

Lee Yuen is pretty good FOR SURREY, but it's kinda westernized now, it used to be much better like 10 years ago....

Neptune in Surrey Central is pretty expensive, but the food was good.

Mr.Money 06-25-2013 02:27 PM

don't be a cheap ass & take the time to find a decent chinese food place then only in surrey..

Gerbs 06-25-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi604 (Post 8267944)
You might as well be asking where I can find a good East Indian restaurant in Richmond.

It doesn't exist bro.

Tandoori Kona in richmond is pretty good. :D

bluejays 06-25-2013 03:40 PM

On Yuen is the only place I go to in Surrey
On Yuen - Fleetwood - Surrey | Urbanspoon

tiger_handheld 06-25-2013 05:16 PM

Lee Yuen on 104th (by guilford superstore)
Ho Do by Surrey Central

They are both good imo. I'm not chinese.

knight604 06-25-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 8268161)
Tandoori Kona in richmond is pretty good. :D

One of best you mean.

punkwax 06-25-2013 06:13 PM

Not what you're asking for sorry. But.. Indian Chinese fusion in Surrey. And it's damn good.

Green Lettuce Restaurant - Welcome

wasabisashimi 06-26-2013 12:38 AM

ended up at Empire Garden in Langley. It was ok. But at least there is alot of taiwanese poeple eating there tonight, so i guess it was be decent.

murd0c 06-26-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8268276)
Lee Yuen on 104th (by guilford superstore)
Ho Do by Surrey Central

They are both good imo. I'm not chinese.

Ho Do is awesome as well and they have good Dim Sum

originalhypa 06-26-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 8268630)
ended up at Empire Garden in Langley. It was ok. But at least there is alot of taiwanese poeple eating there tonight, so i guess it was be decent.

:heckno:

i used to go there often. not the best ingredients, nor flavor.
next time, go to Luxe in Langley, across from willowbrook mall. Cost is a bit more than you wanted but the food is so much better.

CRS 06-27-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8268313)
Not what you're asking for sorry. But.. Indian Chinese fusion in Surrey. And it's damn good.

Green Lettuce Restaurant - Welcome

I keep getting recommendations for this place from friends but I've never been.

Any dishes that are a must?

punkwax 06-27-2013 02:12 PM

I've only been there a couple of times and my parents ordered (they used to live in the area) so I couldn't tell you exactly what menu items we tried. I just know I wasn't disappointed in any of them and I don't think we ordered the same thing twice aside from the hot and sour soup which to this date remains the best I've ever tried.

Deep fried bananas and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Yes please. :drool

Lomac 06-27-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluejays (Post 8268213)
On Yuen is the only place I go to in Surrey
On Yuen - Fleetwood - Surrey | Urbanspoon

I love this place. Only Chinese restaurant outside of Richmond and Vancouver that I'll go to.

dinamix 06-27-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8269812)
I love this place. Only Chinese restaurant outside of Richmond and Vancouver that I'll go to.

On yuen is garbage..its only good cuz its cheap.
Posted via RS Mobile

JHatta 07-28-2013 09:54 AM

Asia restaurant on Fraser highway is average.
Posted via RS Mobile

JKam 07-29-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHatta (Post 8290640)
Asia restaurant on Fraser highway is average.
Posted via RS Mobile

Agree. It's not bad for just a quick weeknight family dinner. Nothing spectacular but nothing terrible. Average prices too.

Nice place would be Lee Yuen but it's pricey..

iPee 07-29-2013 12:14 PM

Lee Yuen hands down

godwin 07-29-2013 01:02 PM

Neptune is probably only Chinese restaurant in Surrey that HK people won't nitpick.

The issue is Surrey has a lot of mom and pop Chinese restaurants, they just can't compete with the quality and most importantly economy of scale when it comes to supplies when compared with larger chains like Kirin and Neptune. Mom and Pop restaurants often just go to T&T/Costco etc to get their produce. A bit of a problem for seafood intense menu like a HK / Southern China menu... forget about decent Spot Prawns, Crabs, Lobsters etc at a decent price, they will always be higher than the big chains.

Not to mention decor and service level. At Neptune, the senior staff actually teach etiquette on how utensils are put to the more junior staff... Something I don't often see, but am glad to see. Another thing I noticed, the chef was actually hovering to see how the customer liked their peking duck.

Don't worry Neptune charge like a normal western restaurant.. ie automatic 15% tip for parties over 8. For people who frequent Asian restaurants you know what I mean ;)

Neptune Seafood Restaurant | Central City

JKam 07-29-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8291236)
Neptune is probably only Chinese restaurant in Surrey that HK people won't nitpick.

The issue is Surrey has a lot of mom and pop Chinese restaurants, they just can't compete with the quality and most importantly economy of scale when it comes to supplies when compared with larger chains like Kirin and Neptune. Mom and Pop restaurants often just go to T&T/Costco etc to get their produce. A bit of a problem for seafood intense menu like a HK / Southern China menu... forget about decent Spot Prawns, Crabs, Lobsters etc at a decent price, they will always be higher than the big chains.

Not to mention decor and service level. At Neptune, the senior staff actually teach etiquette on how utensils are put to the more junior staff... Something I don't often see, but am glad to see. Another thing I noticed, the chef was actually hovering to see how the customer liked their peking duck.

Don't worry Neptune charge like a normal western restaurant.. ie automatic 15% tip for parties over 8. For people who frequent Asian restaurants you know what I mean ;)

Neptune Seafood Restaurant | Central City

Never heard of this place but their urbanspoon score is pretty bad..
Neptune Seafood Restaurant ?????? - Whalley - Surrey | Urbanspoon

godwin 07-29-2013 08:30 PM

They are still relatively new and the comments are consistent with a new restaurant with green staff.

If you go as a group, try their bird nest squash soup and peking duck.

Professional "kitchen staff" at southern Chinese restaurants is a very finite resource in the Lower Mainland, it is well known that the staff at high end chains are traded around a bit like NHL players. Further out East or South of Fraser you have to go, you start to strain on logistics and staff. I would say they get retained more aggressively than western counterparts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKam (Post 8291246)
Never heard of this place but their urbanspoon score is pretty bad..
Neptune Seafood Restaurant ?????? - Whalley - Surrey | Urbanspoon

JHatta 07-29-2013 08:45 PM

I went to Neptune in surrey already. It is decent chinese food, although over-priced. For the only semi-formal chinese restaurant in town (like kirin, gingeri, etc), it's convenient. And you're pretty much always going to get a table if you want one.

The peking duck is really good.