REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 06-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Double Din Options

What are some of the better bang for buck double dins. Obviously there are units that are $1000 +

This would be going into my dodge. Only looking at 7" screen displays.

I know nothing about brand quality, differences between a lot of units and if there are any i should just plain avoid.

I almost just bought a JVC AV70BT for $299 + tax/shipping.

Seems like a good deal. But figured i would ask for insight before jumping the gun.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
RS Licensed Vendor

$299 is quite cheap for a double din.

New model is $499.

What kind of car is it going into? My only gripe about the JVC is that the face plate is quite thick and hard to get it to sit flush without a bunch of work.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

Going into my dodge ram. Not so worried about flush.

299 on sale. Most places iv seen it for sale for between 500-600
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
hard to go wrong with a pioneer unit. i bought a lower end unit from Visions, but if I had to do it again, id order a higher end unit from amazon, ship it to a US mailbox and have spent less. The AppRadio2 by pioneer is pretty cool, if you dont need dvd/cd. fairly cheap too, and 7" display. very nicely designed unit, and clean interface. AppRadio3 can be pre-ordered now as well. You might also want to look into Parrot head units.
1989 BMW 525i
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2006 Mazda 3
2008 Jeep Liberty
2003 Infiniti G35
1995 Eagle Talon
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1981 Pontiac Trans Am
1992 BMW 535i
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

We have a floor model JVC AV70BT, in Burnaby that you can have for the same price. You get the full warranty, box & you get to play with it first to see if it's what you really want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
What are some of the better bang for buck double dins. Obviously there are units that are $1000 +

This would be going into my dodge. Only looking at 7" screen displays.

I know nothing about brand quality, differences between a lot of units and if there are any i should just plain avoid.

I almost just bought a JVC AV70BT for $299 + tax/shipping.

Seems like a good deal. But figured i would ask for insight before jumping the gun.

Thanks.

Keith McCumber
SoundsGood Auto Services
Everything we do is sound!

104-2700 Barnet Hwy Coquitlam 604-961-8626

1420 Boundary Rd. Burnaby, 604-676-8100

www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 to 6:00

Authorized dealers of: Focal, Audison, Alpine, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Thinkware, Compustar, K40...

WE ACCEPT: ICBC Claims, VISA, MC, DEBIT, PAYPAL AND CASH.
installerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
hard to go wrong with a pioneer unit. i bought a lower end unit from Visions, but if I had to do it again, id order a higher end unit from amazon, ship it to a US mailbox and have spent less. The AppRadio2 by pioneer is pretty cool, if you dont need dvd/cd. fairly cheap too, and 7" display. very nicely designed unit, and clean interface. AppRadio3 can be pre-ordered now as well. You might also want to look into Parrot head units.
While I like the concept of better goods for a better price, I would have to suggest "Buy Canadian". The reason that the North American economy is so buggered up right now is from finding better "deals" from other countries. If we can keep our funds in town, our town can prosper more. If our town can prosper more, we can employ more people. When we employ more people, our economy grows. This math works for me.

The other issue is warranty. If your product is faulty, then you have a real problem. It needs to go back from where you got it from. Canadian vendors cannot help you with that. The serial number won't work for warranty here.

When our customers buy products, they have an "over-the-counter-exchange warranty for the entire length of the warranty period. You won't have to wait weeks or months to have your product diagnosed, fixed & sent back to you (+ shipping). Will you pay more for the product up front? Probably. Is it worth it? To me it is.

It's like buying an Apple product here. They take care of you. I really like that. I buy Apple products locally so that if I have an issue, they provide the customer service that I want.

Keith McCumber
SoundsGood Auto Services
Everything we do is sound!

104-2700 Barnet Hwy Coquitlam 604-961-8626

1420 Boundary Rd. Burnaby, 604-676-8100

www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 to 6:00

Authorized dealers of: Focal, Audison, Alpine, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Thinkware, Compustar, K40...

WE ACCEPT: ICBC Claims, VISA, MC, DEBIT, PAYPAL AND CASH.
installerz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

^ is the unit any good? Seems cheap but the reviews are pretty good for it online.

I am not a huge sound guy, I more so just want the unit to watch the odd movie and fill in the space in my front dash.

And is it compatible with back up camera's or does it have to be a jvc camera. My camera is just a yellow av plug.
Posted via RS Mobile
TjAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Have the same question so I'll just bump this thread a little bit. Any other suggestions for double dins around 250-300? 6 or 7 inch screen. Just looking for a double din cause that's what my car fits and I don't want to leave an empty space.
dryjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by installerz View Post
While I like the concept of better goods for a better price, I would have to suggest "Buy Canadian"...
Spoiler!
While I respect what you're getting at, I have to say that in all honesty as a consumer, the general price difference is too big to ignore for most people, including myself.

I just ordered a Pioneer AVIC (dvd/backupcam/gps) with all the harnesses, kits, aux cable, back up cam, etc, off Amazon for ~$550 shipped to the US.

Buying local, that would have costed me easily ~$1300+. For me, the warranty risk is worth the $800 saved. In the off chance that something does go wrong, Point Roberts isn't the farthest drive to ship it back.

If the price difference was only ~$100, sure, I'd buy local for convenience and hassle-free warranty. But we're talking about getting the same product for half the price online.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
In most cases, new products are not all that far off in pricing when it comes with buying online VS. locally. Another thing to keep in mind is 'grey market' products which are sold online through places like Sonic electronics. Some of these products are factory seconds, refurbished models, B-grade units with some flaws or old or damaged goods that get bought up through clearance programs. Its not always apples and oranges and when buying locally, you can always get a deal....well through SoundsGood at least.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by installerz View Post
While I like the concept of better goods for a better price, I would have to suggest "Buy Canadian". The reason that the North American economy is so buggered up right now is from finding better "deals" from other countries. If we can keep our funds in town, our town can prosper more. If our town can prosper more, we can employ more people. When we employ more people, our economy grows. This math works for me.

The other issue is warranty. If your product is faulty, then you have a real problem. It needs to go back from where you got it from. Canadian vendors cannot help you with that. The serial number won't work for warranty here.

When our customers buy products, they have an "over-the-counter-exchange warranty for the entire length of the warranty period. You won't have to wait weeks or months to have your product diagnosed, fixed & sent back to you (+ shipping). Will you pay more for the product up front? Probably. Is it worth it? To me it is.

It's like buying an Apple product here. They take care of you. I really like that. I buy Apple products locally so that if I have an issue, they provide the customer service that I want.
Sorry i have not come by to check out the JVC double din yet. Been soo hectic trying to get this turbo sorted for the dodge.

I will be coming by when i have a chance.