REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
BC Ferries refuses woman 10 cents short on ferry fare

click here for movie: BC Ferries refuses woman 10 cents short on ferry fare - British Columbia - CBC News

Company spokesperson says the rules are the rules
CBC News Posted: Jun 24, 2013 8:46 AM PT Last Updated: Jun 24, 2013 9:08 PM PT

A woman from Gabriola Island, B.C., is furious with BC Ferries after her daughter was stranded in nearby Nanaimo because she was 10 cents short on her fare.

The 20-year-old was trying to make it home a week ago but didn't have quite enough money left on her pre-paid BC Ferries Experience card.

Kathy Ramsey says her daughter had a small amount of cash on her, but BC Ferries requires a minimum of $60 to reload the Experience card, and the attendant wouldn’t make an exception.

“They never asked, you know, ‘Are you going to be okay? Do you have somewhere to stay?’ It's shocking,” Ramsey said.

“She couldn't do anything so she was stuck in Nanaimo for 24 hours until the bank opened the next day ... over 10 cents."

Ramsey says the situation was completely unnecessary.

"I had some pretty choice words for the ferry terminal worker, that's for sure, and for BC Ferries."

But BC Ferries spokesperson Deborah Marshall says the rules are the rules.

“It is unfortunate,” she said. “I know it was a small amount but we do need to have a policy in place to draw the line somewhere."
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
so she couldnt use the remainder on her card + cash? how stupid
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Nothing new, our bus system is screwed up too. Bums can get on free but tourist that was in town didn't have change but have bills can't get on the bus because the bus don't take bills and bus driver won't let them on. They didn't even mind not being given change.
Posted via RS Mobile
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
I STILL don't get it

what a bunch of bullshit.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
That's government for you.

Privatize the ferries, please!
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #6

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
pay up bitch
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
BC Ferries apologizes for stranding traveler who was short 10 cents | Globalnews.ca

BC Ferries apologized.

She had the coin, but the ticket agent wouldn't do a combination of card and cash.

Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

What a dumb system; in this day and age she should be able to load any dollar amount into that shitty experience card.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #9

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
BC Ferries apologizes for stranding traveler who was short 10 cents | Globalnews.ca

BC Ferries apologized.

She had the coin, but the ticket agent wouldn't do a combination of card and cash.

This is what's wrong with the world, entities who treat employees like idiots, and thus, the employees act like idiots - who here wouldn't say "what a minute, she has the fare in combination of prepaid card and cash - both legitimate tender for use of our service, yes I'll accept this" - its not like she was asking to swap a watch and a pair of shoes for the service, or was even short any amount of valid tender

Fuck this idiot who did this, and fuck bc ferries if they have a policy stating the invalidity of a combination of valid payment terms

Why can't ppl just use common sense?
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
common sense is in short commodity these days.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I hate B.C. Ferries.

I once took the Horseshoe to Departure Bay to drop something off for my mother. She needed it urgently and it was frankly easier for me to bring it over by boat than to mail it.

The ferry was late to arrive at Horseshoe Bay so therefore the boat was late to arrive at Departure Bay. I got off the boat, met my mother in the lobby and handed her the package, and turned around and walked up to the ticket counter. They told me that I had "missed the cutoff" for buying a ticket. Apparently their computer system automatically locks out new sales at a certain time, giving no consideration to actual (versus scheduled) boat arrival times.

Its a quintessential first world problem, having to be inconvenienced by a computerized scheduling system & losing 1hr30mins of my life because the government treats their $30p/h like a minimum wage chump... but it shows a small symptom of a greater problem.

If its not their drafty boats its their leaky fire supression systems (leaking chaulky water onto my car the whole trip, or its the fact that their stupid deck crew guide cars so close to mine that I can't open my door to get out.

tl;dr: fuck bc ferries
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Don't forget we get another 4% fare increase next year
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #13

Yah they do that. They lock up sales about 10min before departure and won't let anyone on. Maybe they need the time to prepare but if they put it up clearly for everyone to see like on the website and boards that would be great. Its a fucked up system but its all the choices given for now.

Just like how ICBC is. lol
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #14

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
its a bunch of entitled gulf islanders complaining about the heavily subsidized ferry like they have a right to live on an idyllic island on my dime.

I hear this idiot mom on CKNW and she makes it sound like her daughter is 12, but shes 20 and just a sheltered gulf islander who cant seem to put $12 together for a walk on. She takes the ferry every day she should know how that shit works.

If the ferry actually was private hippy artists wouldnt be able to afford to live there.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Well its poor management really.

I know, I know. Obvi.

But if your people are under the belief that if they make a decision on their own that is in the best interest of the customer, and they are going to get in trouble for it, then your company is doing things wrong.

What causes it?

For one, I'm going to blame a union situation not because 'fuck unions' but because there is a formality to the situation between management and staff that builds a "rules is rules" corporate culture.

Two...their POS system probably has a lock out on short-paying. So if the system doesn't allow a combination of card and cash, they probably have no way of putting it in. If they have no way of putting it in the system, then you potentially have a passenger on a boat that isn't documented. That would be bad.

Three...it happens. I don't know if you all have come to this conclusion or not, but damn dude, common sense is in short supply.

So much so that apart from anything else in life, I believe my common fucking sense is the 'secret sauce' that sets me apart from others.

...or maybe I just come across a wide variety of stupidity on the day-to-day.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #16

Oh, and its 2013. What kind of corporation doesn't use debit in 2013?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
its a bunch of entitled gulf islanders complaining about the heavily subsidized ferry like they have a right to live on an idyllic island on my dime.

I hear this idiot mom on CKNW and she makes it sound like her daughter is 12, but shes 20 and just a sheltered gulf islander who cant seem to put $12 together for a walk on. She takes the ferry every day she should know how that shit works.

If the ferry actually was private hippy artists wouldnt be able to afford to live there.
I am going to SOMEWHAT agree with this comment in regards to the mother, etc....She does talk like her daughter is 12 and it is weird that he daughter didn't report the story. Island people are totes weird.

BUT the BC Ferries as a whole is a poorly run, mis-managed, over-priced entity that should be privatized.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
That's government for you.

Privatize the ferries, please!
That would solve this problem? Just like the way gas stations are ok with being underpaid. /sarcasm
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Mancini; 06-30-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Island people are totes weird.

The Gulf Islands are populated by a large amount of folks who couldn't cut it in regular society. Some of them are hippies who are hanging on to the 1967 "Summer of Love" glory days, some of them are burnouts who want to be "Off the grid", and a significant portion of them are draft dodgers/children of draft dodgers who weren't smart enough to fake asthma or homosexuality to avoid going to Vietnam.

They have an anti-government, anti-mainstream culture and therefore have a hard time existing in the "real world". I'm not surprised that this adult has been so sheltered that she relies on others to take care of her and that her mom was downright SHOCKED that people in the real world didn't fall all over themselves to open their homes to this person who was in an inconvenient spot.

Its pretty sad when I have to refer to Nanaimo as the "real world" but I guess when compared to the hemp hazed stupor of Gabriola, Nanaimo may as well be Manhattan.

I've always wondered why they don't build a bridge across Mudge and into Cedar, then run a foot passenger ferry to the north tip of the island for those who want that option... but I guess B.C. Ferries, in partnership with Translink, want to keep the money flowing.

Denman/Hornby, Quadra, and Saltspring all have points close enuf to Vancouver Island to be able to build low-slung bridges which can be raised for boat traffic. Sadly, however, their residents won't put down the bong long enough to mobilize and appeal to have bridges built.

tl;dr: hippies suck.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
"Off the grid"
All the ladies want to be "on the grid".

edit: and Mindbomber. He'll get on anything.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
would it be bc ferries' fault or the employee there? i mean if it were me working, id just waive her pass, if the machine wont allow me to process 25cents plus her card then she gets a free pass in my books.
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
common sense is in short commodity these days.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

BC Ferries apologized.

where is the apology?
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #24
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
BUT the BC Ferries as a whole is a poorly run, mis-managed, over-priced entity that should be privatized.
doesn't that seem to be a trend with the transit system here in the lower mainland
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
I disagree, BC Ferries is not overpriced as a whole.

It's not possible to operate a ferry service in British Columbia at a lower cost than BC Ferries, which is why private ferry services hemorrhage money when they attempt to operate in the province.

Example: http://www.biv.com/article/20120717/...perators-in-bc

Quote:
All the ladies want to be "on the grid".

edit: and Mindbomber. He'll get on anything.
I have very selective standards.

Last edited by MindBomber; 06-30-2013 at 05:20 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote