REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Best gas available in BC for boost?

I've probably spent 3 hours this morning doing google searches on gas in BC. Now that husky 94 isn't available it sounds like the only 93+ is our chevron 94 but i'm not hearing very many good things about it. It sounds like it's actually worse than the US 92. What gas are we able to run the best with on a turbo vehicle?

More specifically I'm looking at tunes for the n54 motor with pump gas only and it looks like the stage 2 aggressive cobb tune and then the jb4 map 2 tune are both quite good but both call for 93 octane. It appears running chevron 94 won't cut it for these. It's starting to sound like our 94 is worse than US 92, HOWEVER, is the chevron 94 still the best option we have?

During my googling I actually came across a thread that said RS had a very large discussion about this too, I'd be interested in seeing that but i can't find it. I'd also still like to hear what you guys have to say on the subject.

Here are some of the threads I've come across on the subject:

BC Chevron 94 issues - need feedback - Canada - GT-R Life
V-Power vs Chevron 94
Turbo guys...STAY AWAY FROM CHEVRON!!

Also, I'm not interested in getting into a convo regarding meth injection.
Advertisement
ShaneN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
There are a couple Evo guys here who knock on Chevron 94 vs less knock on Shell/Husky.

I haven't filled up Canadian gas ever since I got my Evo. States 92 all day.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
I dont have trouble knocking as my tune on my gti isn't incredibly aggressive, but shell V-power, although 91 gets me better milage, and feels like the cars drivability is better than chevron 94. It seems like everyone has problems with chevron gas.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

i think it depends a lot on the tune too. my coworker who has a r35 gtr says he's done datalogs on all gas and shell 91 is crap. chevron 94 is the best of the worst so he pumps chevron 94 with e85 added to it.

and since e85 isn't readily available here in bc, have to go to marysville washington, does anyone use bioflame ethanol from canadian tire? ...

Last edited by FatalCloud; 07-02-2013 at 10:01 AM.
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Go get some AVGAS
Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #6

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Best gas available in BC for boost?

probably something by vp racing fuels
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
I assume this is a daily driver?

Take a look at this thread (the thread title is somewhat misleading but LOTS of good info here.)

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68154...dien-fuel.html

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Fury HD 120

Fury Racing Fuel | AFD Racing
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
A lot of new cars have turbos due to downsizing of displacement. So I think fuel retailers are aware of that fact.

However since you are lone customer, you can't really dictate what the retailer sells. Even from day to day there are variables due to the underground tank moisture, temperature etc.

If you really want to get the absolute most out of the fuel, the only way is to go the expensive route and buy the fuel in bulk, sample it and make your own special brew, ie by adding required amount of octane boosters based on the sample result.

Most people don't have the space to do that.. so I would suggest is get a sample (or better several samples from different days) of your fuel analysed.. and tuned to the limit for that sample.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I would never buy US gas. I've fixed countless cars at work with fuel related issues. We measure alcohol content and find lots of cars with 15-20% alcohol (buying regular gas, not mixing E85). Every time a customer has issues the first question we ask is did they recently fill up in the US and the answer is almost always yes. It's not possible to get over 10% in Canada (well, possible but diffidult for a gas station owner to illegally mix their own fuel). Which, BTW, is what appears to be happening in the US. I have a feeling all the stations near the border are the "dumping grounds" for poor fuel as Canadians head home.

New M cars can track octane for each tank fill. We've actually been able to match poor octane with a drivers travelling history to the US.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Why not try to find ethanol-free gas? Timing aside, my car used to get around 11.xL/100km even after 30k km. I reset the measurement and started filling only ethanol-free gas, last time I checked 2days ago, I was at 10.2l/100km.

http://pure-gas.org/

Last edited by Hehe; 07-02-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalCloud View Post
chevron 94 is the best of the worst so he pumps chevron 94 with e85 added to it.
Ok... Why the F would he do that? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Specifically use the Chevron 94 (so you get no ethanol)... then purposely ADD E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

What the fuel?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #14

Quote:
i think it depends a lot on the tune too. my coworker who has a r35 gtr says he's done datalogs on all gas and shell 91 is crap. chevron 94 is the best of the worst so he pumps chevron 94 with e85 added to it.

and since e85 isn't readily available here in bc, have to go to marysville washington, does anyone use bioflame ethanol from canadian tire? ...
i read about someone else trying that in one of the threads.

i also came across this:

Robo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
I would never buy US gas. I've fixed countless cars at work with fuel related issues. We measure alcohol content and find lots of cars with 15-20% alcohol (buying regular gas, not mixing E85). Every time a customer has issues the first question we ask is did they recently fill up in the US and the answer is almost always yes. It's not possible to get over 10% in Canada (well, possible but diffidult for a gas station owner to illegally mix their own fuel). Which, BTW, is what appears to be happening in the US. I have a feeling all the stations near the border are the "dumping grounds" for poor fuel as Canadians head home.

New M cars can track octane for each tank fill. We've actually been able to match poor octane with a drivers travelling history to the US.
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post

Posted via RS Mobile

This is going the exact opposite way of the original post. The ethanol in the gas is BETTER for boosted cars. Hence why they run e85...

Apparently the old husky 94 octane with ethanol was the best we had for FI setups. I did a husky search and it says the one in port kells still has a 94 pump but i'd have to check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Ok... Why the F would he do that? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Specifically use the Chevron 94 (so you get no ethanol)... then purposely ADD E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

What the fuel?

No, he's purposely using 94 octane to have the higest octane rated gas alone. he needs the ethanol/e85 for no det. it's apparently bad for mileage and on plastic parts but it's GOOD for F/I...
Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #15

so i'm curious... to those of you with sti, or evo or 335i or whatever the case is, when you order your off the shelf tune can any of you guys even ran anything other than the 91 tune with our local pump gas? i'm basically making this thread because i'm thinking about building a 335i and our gas is reeally putting a damper on it (not a race car, want to run pump only). the cobb stage 2 aggressive isa 93 octane tune with bolt ons and it's apparently really good and then the map 2 in the jb4 would be comparable but it's also a 93 octane tune and it sounds like our 94 octane would get knock on those tunes. on top of that, i'm not even sure any of our gas would run any good using a 91 tune either.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #16

what you should do is think about driving to cobb surgeline in portland, have them tune your car to their 92 octane gas...when you pump 94 chevron here, there isn't much in terms of power gains anyways and it also gives you added safety with the 2 extra octane points. i used to have knock issues until i drove down there to re-tune.
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

there is a risk you take by using off the shelf tune. even with the same exact mod and specs every car is different. i just recently tuned my car with a standalone on chev 91. i will fill my next tank with shell 91 and see any difference or not.
Posted via RS Mobile
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneN View Post
so i'm curious... to those of you with sti, or evo or 335i or whatever the case is, when you order your off the shelf tune can any of you guys even ran anything other than the 91 tune with our local pump gas? i'm basically making this thread because i'm thinking about building a 335i and our gas is reeally putting a damper on it (not a race car, want to run pump only). the cobb stage 2 aggressive isa 93 octane tune with bolt ons and it's apparently really good and then the map 2 in the jb4 would be comparable but it's also a 93 octane tune and it sounds like our 94 octane would get knock on those tunes. on top of that, i'm not even sure any of our gas would run any good using a 91 tune either.
It will be hard to compare with other vehicles its like apples to oranges. Should try to find a 335 with a build similar to what you want to achieve.

I mean I have a 93 octane tune and pump Chevron 94 and it runs fine. I'm can't say the same for your situation.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
A lot of the comments don't apply to you because n54's plastic is designed with ethanol in mind. Also your FI environment is different probably from the poster, because you got direct injection.

Researching into fuel is good, but you really need to apply some critical thinking to focus on what is applicable to your model.

Quote:
No, he's purposely using 94 octane to have the higest octane rated gas alone. he needs the ethanol/e85 for no det. it's apparently bad for mileage and on plastic parts but it's GOOD for F/I...
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Need to Seek Professional Help

This is kinda useless but I'll put in what I observed a couple years back when I was comparing Shell vs. Chevron while I was tuning my car.

Chevron 94 gave me less knock than Shell 91, but the difference in timing I could have run wasn't significant. However, weather conditions may have been slightly different between the tanks and days I did tuning/datalogging. Range was about the same between the two. So back then, I decided it wasn't worth the premium for Chevron 94. Although the idea is popping back up because Shell increased the price for 91 and now there is only a 1 cent gap between it and Chevron 94...it used to be like 3 or 4 cents.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Speaking of E85, has anyone heard anything new about locating a source north of the border?

All we know is, I'm called The Stig
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #22

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
This is going the exact opposite way of the original post. The ethanol in the gas is BETTER for boosted cars. Hence why they run e85...
You completely missed my point. It appears some US gas stations across the border are "mixing" their own fuels so you have no idea if you're getting what the pump actually says. When I was at Silk Cat we had the same issues with Jaguar owners and US gas (many vehicles had running problems because of excess water in the fuel and a few had to get towed literally 10 minutes after filling).

I'm not sure if they were trying to sell water contaminated fuel by adding in excessive alcohol to absorb the water or trying to save money by mixing. Regardless, there's NO WAY you should go fill up with 92 octane gas and find out it's got 20% ethanol in it when the pump had no indication there was any ethanol added.

This is not to say ALL US gas is bad, but I've seen a lot of cars that fuel up right across the border that have had issues. Enough to make me think there are more than a few scammers operating over there.

It would make sense to me to tune your car to run on the gas we have available here.

BTW, BMW's do not like excessive alcohol. It's one of the most common things we test for when there are drivability issues with cars.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

jet fuel...... trust me if you have enough timing it will ignite.
civic_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic_rice View Post
jet fuel...... trust me if you have enough timing it will ignite.
Sounds like the op is asking about fuel for the street. I've got no problems with Chevron 94 up here.
kleensleper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #25
RS controls my life!

Quote:
what you should do is think about driving to cobb surgeline in portland, have them tune your car to their 92 octane gas...when you pump 94 chevron here, there isn't much in terms of power gains anyways and it also gives you added safety with the 2 extra octane points. i used to have knock issues until i drove down there to re-tune.
The problem is, their 92 has ethanol, hence why it's better than our shitty Chev 94.

I do get knock on 94 here, haven't found any gas in Vancouver that doesn't knock on my tune yet.
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote