REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

how-to/experiences using a/c recharge kit?

RED TEK A/C Refrigerant Recharge Kit | Canadian Tire

Anyone know how to properly use the recharge kit? ensuring not overcharging with too much psi? My ac system gradually takes more time now to cool the inside cabin, it used to be ice cold. I haven't had a recharge for years.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,166 Times in 473 Posts
there are A LOT of videos on youtube about the RED TEK. Maybe they'll help answer your Q's
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I used it on my QX last year and it worked as advertised.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think 1 small canister will be enough to overload your A/C system if you are that low where the AC doesn't blow cold air, which was my case.
I have to check, but I think some of the kits come with a PSI gauge so you can check to see how much your system has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Okay, was there anything specific you had to do? I dont even know where the recharge plug is in my vehicle. 7th gen accord v6. I watched a video on youtube where one perdon purchased a rechagre kit from walmart and ended up with 200psi in hid system and the cpu couldnt not detect the compressor anymore and ended up spending much more for repairs.
Posted via RS Mobile
SupraTTturbo2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

I just followed the instructions. I can't remember them exactly, but I just followed the written instructions and everything worked fine.
Keep in mind, my AC was completely empty as the AC only blew outside temp air.
YMMV
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

I assume this is similar to what your engine bay looks like?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
The connector only fits onto the proper one. Look at the connector on the end of the hose and match it. IIRC, the connectors are colour coded. On my wife's van, it was the blue cap and not the red cap. It was pretty obvious which one was the proper one. Whatever you do, don't mess with the high pressure one.

EDIT: Just checked my Honda Fit....... the low side cap is light blue and has an "L" molded onto it.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I assume this is similar to what your engine bay looks like?
yup that's what it looks like
Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
The connector only fits onto the proper one. Look at the connector on the end of the hose and match it. IIRC, the connectors are colour coded. On my wife's van, it was the blue cap and not the red cap. It was pretty obvious which one was the proper one. Whatever you do, don't mess with the high pressure one.

EDIT: Just checked my Honda Fit....... the low side cap is light blue and has an "L" molded onto it.
hmm im guessing mine would also have an "L" embedded on it. I guess i will wattch some youtube videos before I attempt this lol. I just don't wanna end up like the dude that filled too much to the point no air would blow out.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
MG1

I know how you feel. I was a bit cautious when I had to do it for the first time. I am no longer an AC fix it virgin.

My wife was like, "WTH, you can change oil, you can do this."........ I was like, thanks, Internet, now I have to do it, LOL.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
I know how you feel. I was a bit cautious when I had to do it for the first time. I am no longer an AC fix it virgin.

My wife was like, "WTH, you can change oil, you can do this."........ I was like, thanks, Internet, now I have to do it, LOL.

I hope you got rewarded that night

OP thanks for posting - was looking into the same fix. Any mazda owners have done this?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

Quote:

=D which recharge kit did you purchase? the one at canadian tire has a gauge but it looks confusing. someone in one of the videos on youtube said to use the recharge kit until the needle reaches the green area of the gauges?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

OP thanks for posting - was looking into the same fix. Any mazda owners have done this?
I think same way for mazda and other manufacturers since you're just using a recharge kit. Just find the low end pressure tube in your car first and watch the youtube videos haha. I will update when I do it tomorrow..hopefully.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post

Well, my wife's van is an MPV.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
=D which recharge kit did you purchase? the one at canadian tire has a gauge but it looks confusing. someone in one of the videos on youtube said to use the recharge kit until the needle reaches the green area of the gauges?

Well, if you cheap out like I did, I went without a gauge. Others have done it without a gauge, as well. You keep filling it until it reaches the point where it reaches equilibrium. The can will only put out so much pressure.

I was going to wait to see what happens. I honestly thought the system had a leak and didn't want to spend more than I had to. So far, not a problem. I should have bought a gauge, though, 'cause you can use it over and over again. Once you have the gauge, you just buy the can. Oh, and the hose thingy that attaches to the AC port and punctures the can, can be used again and again, too.

Last edited by MG1; 07-04-2013 at 04:56 AM.