REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
I don't get it

Company not following Canada stat holidays

So my friend works for this call center in Richmond. She doesnt get paid for stat holiday on July 1st Canada Day; however gets it today for the American Holiday July 4th. 90% of the company's customers are US based, but how does this justify it being ok to use american stats instead of Canada when the company is clearly in Richmond.

Not that the employees really care because they still get paid the same, but is there something that she can report or file this to?
Advertisement
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Quote:
If you are subject to a collective agreement with your employer, they may substitute any other holiday for a statutory holiday if the substitution is agreed to in writing by your employer and your union. If you do not have a collective agreement, the substitution must be approved by at least 70 percent of affected employees and your employer must post a notice of substitution for at least 30 days before the substitution takes effect.
Yes it's possible, but what is the big deal if the employees are okay with it?

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
So my friend works for this call center in Richmond. She doesnt get paid for stat holiday on July 1st Canada Day; however gets it today for the American Holiday July 4th. 90% of the company's customers are US based, but how does this justify it being ok to use american stats instead of Canada when the company is clearly in Richmond.

Not that the employees really care because they still get paid the same, but is there something that she can report or file this to?
Yup, it's possible. A company can have you work on a Canadian stat holiday and then give you another day off in lieu. Or they can simply pay you 1.5x your wage and not give you an extra day off.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
I worked USA territory and usually the company 'notifies' us that there is a CDN stat holiday coming up ...but has a disclaimer that some 'US-based' staff may want to work that day..lol.. indirect threat?
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote