REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Having a friend insure my motorcycle (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685939-having-friend-insure-my-motorcycle.html)

stewie 07-05-2013 06:39 AM

Having a friend insure my motorcycle

I'm the registered owner

I'm not able to ride, so my buddy's been insuring it for a weekend here and there while its warm out.

The lady at bcaa told us that when we insure it under his name as the principal user, if anything were to happen, it's on him and his insurance.
Last night we went to superstore to insure it as it was late at night and the man there told us that it doesn't matter who insures it, if anything happens, no matter what, I'm to blame since I'm the registered owner.(had trouble understanding him as English was def not his first language)

So who's right?? :s
Posted via RS Mobile

?NR 07-05-2013 08:03 AM

Things to remember

-Consider getting more Extended Third-Party Liability coverage, or adding Collision coverage if you have not already purchased it.

-When you name your teen as the new principal operator at an Autoplan broker, remember to take your Owner's Certificate of Insurance and your teen's licence number with you.

-If your existing rate class is based on all drivers in your household having 10 years' experience, you are required to change the rate class on the vehicle when adding drivers to your policy who do not have 10 years' experience.

-It is your vehicle that is insured, not the drivers. This means that all at-fault crashes will affect your discount, even if you were not driving at the time of the crash.

-Name the principal operator of your vehicle. This could affect your premium. Read the Principal Operator brochure (PDF) to find out more.

replace "teen" with "friend". If friend insuring and riding your bike, insist on comprehensive and collision coverage, or no dice.

ICBC | Insuring your teen

stewie 07-05-2013 05:57 PM

One more question then.(might be a stupid one)

Say something does happen....would it go on my drivers abstract or no??
Posted via RS Mobile

mb_ 07-05-2013 09:31 PM

Nope
Posted via RS Mobile

Edison_Chen 07-05-2013 09:39 PM

The claim can and will affect either the driver at the time of the loss, or the owner who owned the motorcycle. It can/will jump back and forward between the 2 parties for up to 20 years, if the claim is dangling (not attached to the driver or the registered owner on a plate).

quasi 07-15-2013 01:26 PM

^^^

Totally right, my mom let my sister insure her old car. Sister was principal operator and got in an accident. Sister didn't insure another vehicle after and it attached to my mother.

I wouldn't let someone else insure my vehicle. If you really trust him, gift it over to him for the summer and when you want it back gift it back. He'd have to be a really good friend for me to do this.