REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 07-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Good all around 4x4

Anyone know of a good all around 4x4 that's decent and cheap? lol bit of a contradiction I know.

Looking to get something relatively soon as I just sold my Acura Legend, but prefer something that may require a bit of work because I am mechanically inclined like that.

Must be post 2000 and under or around 200k.

Any and all help in my search is appreciated!

Matties
Advertisement
Matties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Budget?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Anyone know of a good all around 4x4 that's decent and cheap? lol bit of a contradiction I know.

4Runners of any year, Toyota Trucks of any year, early Xterras, Rangers, Exploders, YJ's, early TJ's, CJ-7's, Cherokee's, Commanches, Pathfinders, Nissan Hardbodies, etc

disclaimer: decency and cheapness vary wildly among the above

Looking to get something relatively soon as I just sold my Acura Legend, but prefer something that may require a bit of work because I am mechanically inclined like that.

Plenty of those around

Must be post 2000 and under or around 200k.

Around or under 200k as in 200k of the 250k lifespan of a Ford Explorer, or 200k of the 650k lifespan of a Toyota Tacoma? Much like performance automobiles, the mileage is of less concern that the upkeep. Find something that has had decent maintenance records and just happened to have something expensive enough break that the owner is looking to sell. That'll be your golden ticket.

Any and all help in my search is appreciated!

As above, knowing your potential budget will help considerably.

Matties

Brianies
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
slightly biased,

gonna say go with a 4runner.

3rd gen, 2000-2002.

plenty of mods, km's will be in your area, and reliable trail rig and family hauler.

if you're budgets a bit higher i'd go with a 4th gen 4runner with a V8.

those cast iron blocks are bullet proof lol.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

DONT get a Jimmy, Blazer or Explorer , I found them to be poor quality and I don't trust them when I am in a rural area. I had a lot of 4x4 switch issues on my 2001 Jimmy when I was about 17 and they are not that good for 4x4ing. Parts are cheap but not worth it imo.

Xterras are going for less than 5k now but they are HORRIBLE on gas. I also had a 2nd gen Pathfinder and the gas mileage was Terrible. 4x4ing was VERY good and it handled amazing, just couldn't stand the bad mileage.

I just bought a 2nd gen 4Runner but I have only put literally 5km's on it so far. I read a lot of reviews and it seemed the best for what I needed. Do some research so you don't waste your money! GL
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
4runner. 2nd gen's are the cheapest but 3rd gens have the best motor. The only problem with the 2nd gen motor is that it's a pig and it's gutless but it's reliable as hell.

Or you can try and find yourself a tacoma around that year but you'll be paying a little bit more money
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
4runner. 2nd gen's are the cheapest but 1st and 2nd gens have the best motor. The only problem with the 2nd gen 22r motor is that it's gutless but it's reliable as hell.
fixed
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

any 3.4L or 4.7L toyota truck... rock solid reliability...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
fixed
nothing a set of gears won't fix

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
Old 07-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

with 7.5 inches of ground clearance ... 2001 - 2007 subaru forester is pretty capable, reliable and affordable too
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
I don't get it

I'm being biased here too like T4RAWR but I like the old Jeeps better. Everything is really simple and easy to fix.

I'm thinking of selling my 82 CJ7 if you're interested. Everything in it is pretty well stock except for the engine which is a built Chevy 350, 4.10 gears in the axles, LocRite locker in the rear and a traclock in the front. New 4" Rubicon Express springs, new shocks, braided stainless steel flex brake lines, and 35" BFG mud terrains. Brand new battery and master cylinder installed last week.

It does need a little bit more work to be road worthy and it hasn't been on the road since all the mods. If you're interested, send me a PM.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #12

Oh man, you'd love my ex-boss' CJ-8. All the same stuff done plus 1/2 hardtop and hydro winch

RSUV #7
Old 07-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

Well I needed something more for haulin 3 little ones around that will get me to some of my fav. back lakes... I ended up buying a 2004 escape that needs a bit of work done to it for 1500. Suits my needs well. Looked at actually a few Jeeps, but prob is they usually only seat four, and I need it to seat at least 5. All the toys' I looked at for the price range I was going into had over 300000k and cost at least a thousand more. Maybe when the kids are a little bigger I can really go out and play, but those days for now are temp. behind and before me... lol
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I've been eyeballing this Cherokee: 1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited - Auto

The 4.0L motors last if they are maintained. Decent interior room for a family. If you could snag it for $5k you'd be ok.

The 2nd and 3rd gen 4Runners are a pretty solid choice though. Very reliable, good fit and finish.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

I think when we decide to do in the wifes 2006 Caravan, I will give her the Escape and get myself a 3rd gen runner. I know a few people that have them and swear by them...
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Survivor MOD

cherokee is a pretty good platform to build too.

4.0L AMC with an aisin transmission and you have yourself a pretty damn good combo. easy to lift and plenty of aftermarket stuff for it.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
I'm thinking of selling my 82 CJ7 if you're interested. Everything in it is pretty well stock except for the engine which is a built Chevy 350, 4.10 gears in the axles, LocRite locker in the rear and a traclock in the front. New 4" Rubicon Express springs, new shocks, braided stainless steel flex brake lines, and 35" BFG mud terrains. Brand new battery and master cylinder installed last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Im gonna hijack this thread for a second and ask: How come 4th 4runners are unpopular off-roaders? Everyone seems to be diving for 2nd or 3rd gen, but the nobody considers the 4th gen.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #19

2/3gen have a lot of parts that can be interchanged and strong/affordable aftermarket/used parts support and 4th gens are expensive.

RSUV #7
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Survivor MOD

4th gens are expensive.

that doesn't mean they dont get wheeled. my friend runs a 4th gen v8 modded from the ground to the top with about everything you need.

there is actually a ton of aftermarket support for 4th gens, go check out t4r.org

the reasons 2/3 gens are more popular are because they're cheaper. the 3rd gens specifically in limited trim with rear locking axle makes life alot easier for people who dont want to strip the truck down and build it from the ground up. with a little lift and tires you're pretty much good to go.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #21
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

4th gen doesnt have the rear locker? Seems counter intuitive since they have a solid rear already
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #22
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
4th gens have several things going against them.

- more expensive
- more expensive aftermarket
- no factory lockers
- shitty factory gearing
- shitty departure angle at best even post bumper because of awful rear end design
- X-reas
etc

The thing is that a 3rd gen limited provides 80% of the comfort of the 4th gen, at half the price and without having to replace EVERYTHING when you mod it. I can run up to 35's on my factory locked 4:30'd 3rd gen without having ever touched the diffs. Parts are readily available, more extensive aftermarket support, etc.

If you mod a 4th gen, you unfortunately HAVE TO mod from the ground to the top, because you're going to end up replacing everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
4th gen doesnt have the rear locker? Seems counter intuitive since they have a solid rear already
Even the 3rd generation after 2000 no longer had the rear locker - just the center diff.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Lexus LX450 1997 (Landcruiser)REDUCED!

1997 lexus lx450
has locking diffs $5500 negotiable. check it out.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #24
Survivor MOD

for the target market (pavement pounding daily driver weekend warriors) the 4th gen makes perfect sense.

the trade off in the 4th gen is the locking center torsen vs having a rear e-locker.

for everyday driving the center torsen is much better than having the rear e-locker.

for actual wheeling the e-locker 3rd gens make way more sense. my trail edition is basically the same as a 3rd gen with a rear e-locker. its a great truck but sometimes i wish i had the torsen center WITH the rear e-locker.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #25
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
DONT get a Jimmy, Blazer or Explorer , I found them to be poor quality and I don't trust them when I am in a rural area. I had a lot of 4x4 switch issues on my 2001 Jimmy when I was about 17 and they are not that good for 4x4ing. Parts are cheap but not worth it imo.

Xterras are going for less than 5k now but they are HORRIBLE on gas. I also had a 2nd gen Pathfinder and the gas mileage was Terrible. 4x4ing was VERY good and it handled amazing, just couldn't stand the bad mileage.

I just bought a 2nd gen 4Runner but I have only put literally 5km's on it so far. I read a lot of reviews and it seemed the best for what I needed. Do some research so you don't waste your money! GL
how bad was the pathfinder on gas? im actually looking at getting a 2004 pathy.

how many km do you get on a tank with city/hwy driving ?
helly is offline   Reply With Quote