REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
Personal cloud storage

Hey guys, anyone here have their own personal cloud storage? I'm thinking of picking up a WesternDigital My book live for my own personal cloud because my sisters and I share a bunch of files and I also need some files on the go. I'm just curious on how secure are the files and if you can password protect your folders and if anyone else here has experience using a personal cloud storage.
Advertisement
604778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Have you tried Dropbox? You can share out files or directories. It is free unless you need more space.
Posted via RS Mobile
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
IMHO, personal cloud storage is great for retrieving files you need while on the road. However, your experience will be impacted by the size of your files, and your upload speed.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
theres lots of cloud storage solution that are good and free..
box.com, dropbox and so on.. the can also be access by wireless devices but not sure about WD cloud storage....

I have a 50gb box.com cloud storage and use it often to transfer files/doc to friends...
Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

setup your own FTP server?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I have the my book live... and I regret buying it. My fault but I didn't realize there's no USB port so I had to upload all my (40GB of music) files on to it over my router. It took about 2-3 hours to completely move it all on the hard drive.

It is good for sharing music with others though. Functions like my own personal dropbox. Streaming is slow for me but I assume it has something to do with my shitty router. I only use it now when I want to share small files <200mb with other people or my mobile devices.

As for security, I can create users and give access to whichever folder I want them to have. It was a little confusing at first but after some trial and error I figured it out.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
It might take a bit longer to setup as it's not exactly just a plug and play. But I'm currently using a NAS for my own "cloud" and it doubles as my backups for my desktop and laptop.

I'm using a synology ds212j + 2TB hard drive.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Rather than setting up a personal cloud at home, I simply get a super cheap VPS plan (check on RFD or other deal sites) and set automation commands to sync/upload certain folders every 2hrs.

Works great for my personal photo/video collection and I can make links for whatever file I want to share.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
They are really taking this 'cloud' thing too far... now whenever you connect to the internet, it's a 'cloud'?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Sharing something over the Internet will always have a certain degree of risk. How big are the files that you plan to share?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
I'm pretty much sharing photoshop, music and movie files. That's pretty much it...
604778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,788 Times in 979 Posts
Your own personal 'cloud' storage would be you using a service like Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive, Box.com, or Mega.

If you host your own files on a file server and open up access via ftp/web server/mstsc, it is NOT a 'cloud', and you receive NONE of the benefits of having something in the cloud, such as redundancy and fault tolerance.

I'm not sure why you would want to host your file storage.. I don't think it ends up being any cheaper, or faster, or has more features. Just use a cloud service, and if you really feel compelled, setup a RAID NAS for larger items like movies/tv shows.