REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

recess lights and Ceiling reno questions!!

gonna do some reno for the living room ceiling.

Here is the living ceiling now

Where can I find someone to do this kinda ceiling ? Also, wants to do recessed lighting too.

Advertisement

Last edited by ime2006; 07-07-2013 at 06:43 PM.
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

for drop ceilings, you generally would want a finishing carpenter to do it for you. Depending on what type of lighting you want to put inside the drop, you may need an electrican to put in a transformer for you (for led lighting). To do recessed lighting though, it's going to be a much bigger job to do, cutting out your ceiling and retrofitting pot lights onto your ceiling.
Posted via RS Mobile
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
for drop ceilings, you generally would want a finishing carpenter to do it for you. Depending on what type of lighting you want to put inside the drop, you may need an electrican to put in a transformer for you (for led lighting). To do recessed lighting though, it's going to be a much bigger job to do, cutting out your ceiling and retrofitting pot lights onto your ceiling.
Posted via RS Mobile
Any good reno company suggestion ?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
You have a bulkhead around the outer edge and a light trough down the center. Depending which way your joists run (Put trough parallel to joists) it shouldn't be a big deal. It won't be cheap because the multiple trips involved. If I was having one of my guys do that bulkhead work I'd charge a minimum of 8-9 man days + materials not including the electrical mind you we try not to do residential work. It would be cheaper if it was part of a larger scope of work but when you're coming in to do one thing you really need to charge in full/half day increments.

I think your best bet is a good handyman who does small renovations, sorry don't have any recommendations but best of luck in your search.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 07-07-2013 at 09:03 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Have you thought about adding some crown moulding instead? It appears that you don't have any crown or door mouldings and that will transform your look significantly. You can have an angled crown moulding and drop in a rope light very easily. I'm sure it'll cost a fraction of what you're looking into.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
You have a bulkhead around the outer edge and a light trough down the center. Depending which way your joists run (Put trough parallel to joists) it shouldn't be a big deal. It won't be cheap because the multiple trips involved. If I was having one of my guys do that bulkhead work I'd charge a minimum of 8-9 man days + materials not including the electrical mind you we try not to do residential work. It would be cheaper if it was part of a larger scope of work but when you're coming in to do one thing you really need to charge in full/half day increments.

I think your best bet is a good handyman who does small renovations, sorry don't have any recommendations but best of luck in your search.

Lets go with what you just said. 8~9 men days.
According to your rate, roughly what is the cost just for labor alone ?

I just want to have an idea in mind for how much I might have to spend.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Have you thought about adding some crown moulding instead? It appears that you don't have any crown or door mouldings and that will transform your look significantly. You can have an angled crown moulding and drop in a rope light very easily. I'm sure it'll cost a fraction of what you're looking into.
I sort of got what you meant. But I still can't visualize it fully.
any example in pictures ?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts

And you could definitely use a casing around your sliding door and windows to make them stand out more.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Messaged you, Parms idea looks like it might be a lot less work and still looks great.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
never really seen that backlit crown, looks pretty good
Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Depends how much money you want to spend. Drop ceilings may cost more $ than crown.
Depending on how its done you will probably have to have it planned out well enough that the electrician can get the wires in before building it and be able to get the lights in before the recessed area is completed. Sometimes the carpenter may have it so tight that once it goes in, it won't be able to be changed without ripping the finished thing open again.

LED strip lighting can be expensive if you want CSA approved. (Some folks just get cheaper china product and DIY off ebay.)
Although, in the past 5 years LED strip lights have come down in price quite a bit. They used to be $50 per foot!

You will need a driver for your LED strip lighting. (Transformer + rectifier which converts AC to DC) These things go up in price if you want a dimmable LED driver and a compatible dimmer switch.
These things can be big, bulky and ugly so you will need a closet or area to hide it in.

The other option for strip lighting is ugly line voltage rope light. Cheaper and easily dimmable. I don't like them though.

For recessed lighting do you mean just simple pot lights or a multi light unit thing as in your picture? The multi-light unit will probably cost a lot more to buy (special order) and also more labour.

Last edited by Matlock; 07-08-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Depends how much money you want to spend. Drop ceilings may cost more $ than crown.
Depending on how its done you will probably have to have it planned out well enough that the electrician can get the wires in before building it and be able to get the lights in before the recessed area is completed. Sometimes the carpenter may have it so tight that once it goes in, it won't be able to be changed without ripping the finished thing open again.

LED strip lighting can be expensive if you want CSA approved. (Some folks just get cheaper china product and DIY off ebay.)
Although, in the past 5 years LED strip lights have come down in price quite a bit. They used to be $50 per foot!

You will need a driver for your LED strip lighting. (Transformer + rectifier which converts AC to DC) These things go up in price if you want a dimmable LED driver and a compatible dimmer switch.
These things can be big, bulky and ugly so you will need a closet or area to hide it in.

The other option for strip lighting is ugly line voltage rope light. Cheaper and easily dimmable. I don't like them though.

For recessed lighting do you mean just simple pot lights or a multi light unit thing as in your picture? The multi-light unit will probably cost a lot more to buy (special order) and also more labour.
Yes, I know its going to be expensive. But from what I see.

Drop ceiling + recessed lighting is a trend now, even in Asia.

I have been looking into a lot Taiwan interior design. I really love that clean and modern look.

Here are some more pictures.

Last edited by ime2006; 07-08-2013 at 07:17 PM.