REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
2-Wheelin' Mod

To Gear up or NOT to gear up....

Since getting into bikes I have obviously begun taking considerably more notice of other bikes on the road, the skills of the riders and what they are wearing...

One thing that is shocking me over and over and over and over and over again is how completely poorly both guys and girls are clothing-wise....

I get it, it's summer.... but still, I wonder if these people might think differently if we didn't have a publically funded healthcare system or if they had watched any of the million crash videos on Youtube...

-guy on HWY 1 yesterday riding an R1 doing at least 140km/h in the HOV lane.... shorts, tank top, and sneakers...
-girl riding a brand new CBR600RR on Kingsway, weaving into and out of traffic.... shorts, t-shirt, no gloves....
-guy on a ZX-6R with shorts, t-shirt, no gloves... passenger with no gloves, shorts, tank top.....
-guy on Kingsway on a Daytona 675 wearing sandals (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), shorts and NO TOP......!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys - I am new, but is this normal in the summer? This is blatant disregard for yourself?? Again, I public healthcare certainly doesn't discourage it but the risk versus reward or is horrendous....

I got talking to some of my friends yesterday and if anything they all OVER-prepare on the road... we all came to teh conclusion that;

a) the one time you don't dress properly is the time something might/will happen
b) that "last" ride/stretch/run of the day is always the one likely to pose the most problems....

The last thing the VPD/RCMP need to be doing is chasing around these people but if they pose an unnecessary financial risk to our healthcare system I would have thought legislators would have targeted them... but then I guess you have to go after all bikers, not just those on sport bikes....
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
some people just assume nothing bad will happen... same kind of people that win the darwin award!

after seeing people fingers ground down to almost nothing because they didnt ware gloves, or having the doctors scraping pavement out of their flesh... im sure these people would wear their gear
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
The Choice Is Yours: Sweat Or Bleed | RideApart
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^ good man! Follow adey on instagram, the guy knows his stuff and he is a big fan of gear.. He always wear gear and he lives in Cali so its hotter.

Bad habits will catch up to you someday so prevent it from happening

1987 AE86
1999 Honda EK
2001 AP1 S2000
2009 Mitsubishi EVO IX
2009 Honda Ridgeline
2015 Subaru STi
2015 BMW F82 M4
Naka San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
I've seen the sandals thing a few times. Absolutely shocking!!! I ride a scooter, but I always am in full toe'd shoes, jeans, gloves and a jacket or hoodie. I know it's not "full gear" but you damn well won't find me out in board shorts and a tank
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Wow, sorry but this is so stupid.

Are you actually going to argue that this is a risk to taxpayers money and the health system?

That is just as ignorant as anything else.

Are you the same person that argues that people who chooses to smoke cigarettes should be hauled off to jail because they are also more likely to cause taxpayers more money?

It's someone's choice for fuck sakes, at the end of the day as long as you did what you want to protect yourself then so be it.

It's not the fucking law to wear gear and some people decide that they are more comfortable not wearing gear.

I often wear gear while riding but guess what there are some days that I don't and who are you to judge and bitch about it?

It's my personal choice, and I have gone down before with gear so I know how important it is, but at the same time you pointing fingers because you wear gear and thinking you are better is just ignorant.

The best you should and could do is wear your gear at all times and protect yourself and those who don't ignore them it's none of your business to begin with.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^calm down buddy

snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Sorry but I completely disagree with him saying that it's a risk to taxpayers money.

People have choices this is why we are in Canada.

I think it's greatthat everyone wears full gear at all times but I don't think it should come to an argument where the people who wears gear are better people and the people who don't are blatant and doesn't have self regard.

I believe in wearing gear as well but putting down the people who chooses not to is just as ignorant as anything.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
If its too fucking hot to wear gear, then..... DON'T RIDE!!!! Drive a car, take a cab or transit.

if its your only transportation option, then suck it up.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #10

Man. Revscene is just too much for me sometimes.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #11

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Especially bad when the rider is not geared up, but also riding like a giant asshat.

Happened last weekend on Russ Baker Way southbound just past Sea Island Way when 3 lanes merge into two.

Rider in the middle lane cuts me off in the left lane (good thing I left space in front anticipating he was going to probably do so), tailgates the guy in front, then cuts across back into the middle lane. However at the same moment a Camry in the far right lane merged into the middle lane. Fortunately for the douchebag the Camry had the awareness to check the lane again while merging and slowed to let him pass first.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
MOD

or at least wear armour under your shirt/pants like what icon have released. chest/back protector, elbow armour, knee armour

Quote:

Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
just seen a guy on an r1 wearing only a helmet for protection not even gloves. man, i just dont get it
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Rider

Sunfighter,

After riding in full gear, it is hot but very manageable. If you were really hot and it is uncomfortable. I just recommend wearing some jeans or kevler lined ones for lightness and a mesh armoured jacket. I personally want to get a jacket from Icon since they have a fighter mesh chassis and would be great for this weather, less protection but it is better than nothing. Still has a small back pad and shoulder/elbow armour.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
respect each others' choices, gear up or not. Each have their own reasons.

agree to disagree, but a word of caution here and there should be appreciated, not scoffed on.

some people just can't see what you see, if ever.

with that said, I dislike pain and disfiguration, so I gear up as much as I can but never go without some protection.

as for riders that do not wear gear on hot days? all I can do is pray and hope nothing happens, aside from that I don't rag on their choice. I do try to pry as to why they choose to ride gear-less, and see how receptive they are/open. If they are then I'd slowly ease into hot weather gear as a comprimise. Who knows? maybe they will accept it.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

It is good that you are noticing all these problems, but this issue regarding the healthcare system/ gear and no gear is a grain of sand in the grand scheme of things.

Take what you have observed and use that in your decision to wear gear or not. Ultimately, it is ABOUT YOUR ATTITUDE!

I've ridden without gear. I've ridden with a 1pc with all the armors you can put on a suit. Just know the consequences.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Support Team Mod

Other than my 15 minute commute to work I generally wear full leathers.

On really hot days like the Canada Day kevlar jeans with armour and a mesh jacket with CE2 backprotector, always full face helmet and proper gloves.

Last Sunday at Tradex ... full leathers but I did drink 5 bottles of water.

You still have to take into account overheating (been there done that ... 3 days in bed)

BUT

Answer the age old question what is worse

HD Pirate

or

Gixxer Squid

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-

Last edited by Gwilo; 07-09-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
MOD

just sayin'

Quote:

Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

i could care less for the other riders riding without their gear cause it's their call...but when they have their girls on the back in their short shorts or leggings, thats a no-no for me. but hey, at least their girls look good on their backs
kev1n9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #20
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfighter View Post

-guy on HWY 1 yesterday riding an R1 doing at least 140km/h in the HOV lane.... shorts, tank top, and sneakers...
-girl riding a brand new CBR600RR on Kingsway, weaving into and out of traffic.... shorts, t-shirt, no gloves....
-guy on a ZX-6R with shorts, t-shirt, no gloves... passenger with no gloves, shorts, tank top.....
-guy on Kingsway on a Daytona 675 wearing sandals (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), shorts and NO TOP......!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you ever see a guy on a 1098 in shorts, t shirt and a pair of jordans be sure to wave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Especially bad when the rider is not geared up, but also riding like a giant asshat.

Happened last weekend on Russ Baker Way southbound just past Sea Island Way when 3 lanes merge into two.

Rider in the middle lane cuts me off in the left lane (good thing I left space in front anticipating he was going to probably do so), tailgates the guy in front, then cuts across back into the middle lane. However at the same moment a Camry in the far right lane merged into the middle lane. Fortunately for the douchebag the Camry had the awareness to check the lane again while merging and slowed to let him pass first.
That guy just sounds like a twat. I normally like to be as courteous on the road as possible as that reflects well on other motorcyclists. I'm the kind guy that'll let someone slip in front of me in merging situations or bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwilo View Post
Other than my 15 minute commute to work I generally wear full leathers.
I see eye to eye with you on this one. I'm guilty of the aforementioned. I have no issue wearing my leather jacket till late Spring, but when summer hits, it comes off until Fall

Bear in mind my commute to work is only 10 minutes away, and the extent of my street riding consists of going to the beach, starbucks or picking up chicks.

I don't cruise around town, nor do I go on lengthy street rides out of town, so squidding short distances at the speed limit in the city is just a risk I've become willing to take in the summer when putt'ing around from point A to point B.

Now is it smart? Heck no, but risks to me are definitely minimized (it's subjective I know). Your motorcycle can out accelerate, out maneuver and out brake just about any vehicle on the road. With a few exceptions, you really have little excuse as a motorcyclist when getting into an accident. It boils down to situational awareness and your own capabilities.

I'll still always wear my gauntlet gloves on the street, but when I'm actually riding I'll rock a 1 piece suit, back protector, full race boots and full gauntlets

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)

Last edited by fT-z33wor; 07-09-2013 at 11:25 PM.
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #21

^^^ doesn't matter what performance your bike has. It's only as good as the rider on it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #22
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I am a new rider. I got my leather jacket in the mail a couple of days ago and tested it out for about an hour and a half going to Burnaby and then back to Surrey. Needless to say, I was sweating like a pig after my ride. I have never in my life have gotten a shirt as wet as I have earlier. I understand that it gets hot when you're in a stand still but when you're riding along, its pretty breezy and you dont even feel the sweat on your back. What I don't understand is why people would risk getting serious injuries rather than playing it safe by wearing gear and just taking a nice and cold shower after their ride. Oh well, to each his own I guess.
Pheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:20 AM   #23
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
^^^ doesn't matter what performance your bike has. It's only as good as the rider on it.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yep! What you just touched upon was exactly what I was trying to point out.

The bike is capable, its just how able is the rider to exploit/learn to exploit the machine, so as to prevent/avoid emergency situations from happening or using the bike to take advantage of situations when occuring.

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #24
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
i went full squid when it was super hot the other day and it was the most uncomfortable shit ever. so used to being in full gear that i couldn't even ride properly. not gonna do it again lol
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
Rider

I tried a t-shirt and just my pants once, for 10 minutes. Can't stand it, I feel like weird and naked.

I personally like having a fighter mesh chassis with some protection which is definitely better than nothing, I would like to see more peeps rocking those jackets then going squid.

Oh oh oh, I actually fell a week back and was so happy I had my jeans with knee protectors and jacket. Came out a little shaken, with a tiny tiny road rash but if it where we friends wearing Jordans shorts. Whole different story. I was even super lucky to have my backpack on since that broke the fall and even prevented my back from riding cement.