REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   4x4's and the Great Outdoors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/4x4s-great-outdoors_226/)
-   -   need a shop.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686110-need-shop.html)

emtee_23 07-09-2013 03:57 PM

need a shop..

1 Attachment(s)
picture says it all...

shock mount bolt sheared off and now is stuck in the tub of the jeep. this is the rear driver side shock mounting spot and will need of some assistance with either an air tool or something strong enuff to drill out.

ideally i would like to punch all mounts out with a pneumatic air hammer and remount the rears with a nut and bolt for easier install in the long run.

Regards,

Mike

sleepywheel 07-09-2013 07:26 PM

I would just centre punch the broken bolt and drill right through it with an oversized drill bit and then use a nut and bolt. If you've got all the other bolts out, then drill them at the same time. Are you sure you can get to the backside to tighten the nut and bolt?

emtee_23 07-10-2013 12:52 PM

yah theres abit of a body lift which allows me to slip in a wrench from the top...got it done already..did exactly that! :)

Phil@rise 07-11-2013 01:51 PM

thats a terrible pain in the ass to fix and a common problem on TJ's I can help with that but sometimes it requires drilling thru the tub of the jeep.

Prolowtone 07-28-2013 05:54 AM

Ii know that pain :( glad it was resolved .. good god, my xj did the same thing on three of the 4 rear bolts... grabbed my BFH and a home made drift to knock it through, then used fishing line to pull a new stainless bolt through and into place. took alot of patience (sweat and cursing the high heavens) to not burn it where it sat

emtee_23 08-07-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prolowtone (Post 8290597)
Ii know that pain :( glad it was resolved .. good god, my xj did the same thing on three of the 4 rear bolts... grabbed my BFH and a home made drift to knock it through, then used fishing line to pull a new stainless bolt through and into place. took alot of patience (sweat and cursing the high heavens) to not burn it where it sat

i would recommend not to use stainless steel bolts for any shock mounts..

"Stainless Steel
Stainless steel is an alloy of low carbon steel and chromium for enhanced corrosion characteristics. Stainless steel is highly corrosion resistant for the price and because the anti-corrosive properties are inherent to the metal, it will not lose this resistance if scratched during installation or use.

It is a common misconception that stainless steel is stronger than regular steel. In fact, due to the low carbon content, stainless steel cannot be hardened. Therefore when compared with regular steel it is slightly stronger than an un-hardened (grade 2) steel fastener but significantly weaker than hardened steel fasteners.

Stainless steel is also much less magnetic than regular steel fasteners though some grades will be slightly magnetic.

So I learned a valuable lesson today DONT USE STAINLESS HARDWARE ON YOUR JEEP
EDIT ( unless it for mounting lights and things that are not under stress or structural components"