REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   4x4's and the Great Outdoors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/4x4s-great-outdoors_226/)
-   -   Camping places... where to go? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/686172-camping-places-where-go.html)

FerrariEnzo 07-11-2013 01:45 AM

Camping places... where to go?

Im trying to decide between Alice Lake and Golden Ears (north campsite, most likely)

Anyone recommend one? I need shower and toilet, will have kids with me also.
Maybe someplace with canoe/boat rental, would be nice...

Will be going Aug 11-13 (Sun-Tues) so it shouldnt be too busy.. I just check discoverycamping.ca website.. shows 50% available..

Thanx

T4RAWR 07-11-2013 09:25 PM

i personally prefer golden ears to alice lake.

both sites will have showers and toilets, etc.

make sure you take lots of loonies and toonies for the showers and other facilities that require payment.

no canoe rentals at alice iirc but i think golden ears might have one at the main day use area.

make sure to take bug spray as well as some candles that keep bugs away from the camp site.

FerrariEnzo 07-12-2013 01:20 AM

thanx for the tips

T4RAWR 07-12-2013 08:03 AM

no problemo,

make sure to bring some water shoes for the little ones,

people are assholes and often drink and party by the beach on the lake so in order to avoid broken glass shards in their feet its a good investment.

also bring a box of baby wipes, much nicer to have than the shitty toilet paper at the park plus its got a million uses lol.

theres a thread in the 4x4 and outdoors forum on camping tips which is a good read if you have time

FerrariEnzo 07-12-2013 06:33 PM

Golden Ears has 4 different camp ground.. Im thinking North Beach.. is that good or you recommend the other sites?

T4RAWR 07-12-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 8280149)
Golden Ears has 4 different camp ground.. Im thinking North Beach.. is that good or you recommend the other sites?

gold creek is probably gonna be the better place to camp, its usually where the families camp while the drinking and partying types camp at north beach.

FerrariEnzo 07-12-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8280168)
cold creek is probably gonna be the better place to camp, its usually where the families camp while the drinking and partying types camp at north beach.

Thanks.. very good info...

T4RAWR 07-12-2013 07:40 PM

no prob,

do you have enough equipment?

FerrariEnzo 07-12-2013 11:52 PM

I only need the basic stuff, Im not a heavy camping guy.. just wanted to take my kids coz they never been...

Tent/sleeping bag, foam tile floor (to sleep on), stove, lamps, buy spray, polysporin, coolerbox (ice/meats) BBQ tong set, chairs, baby wipe/hand sanitizer, multi-tool knife set, rope (to hang stuff), fire starter sticks... I think thats pretty much it.. only 2 nights...

nabs 07-13-2013 01:31 PM

I love Alice Lake. There are some great 4x4ing routes there as well if that's what ur into. It's close enough to squamish just incase you forget anything as well.

Presto 07-28-2013 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit late to the convo, but I just got back from Golden Ears. Stayed at Gold Creek. The wife needs plumbing. Fantastic weather.

Piece of advice for anyone going camping:
Buy wood before you get into the park.

My friend picked up this big bag of untreated, scrap lumber for $15, just outside of Golden Ears. That was equivalent to almost 4 bundles of the park's stuff. Firewood at the park is $9/bundle, or $25 for 3.

Cassijon 07-28-2013 08:16 PM

anyone have suggestions of which campsites within 1.5 hours of vancouver to try and get a site without a reservation if i were to leave vancouver on friday at noon?

T4RAWR 07-28-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassijon (Post 8290849)
anyone have suggestions of which campsites within 1.5 hours of vancouver to try and get a site without a reservation if i were to leave vancouver on friday at noon?

most provincial park camp sites are on a booking basis so you're SOL there.

there are some off road/wilderness campsites i could think of if you're vehicle is capable of getting there.

Cassijon 07-28-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8290883)
most provincial park camp sites are on a booking basis so you're SOL there.

there are some off road/wilderness campsites i could think of if you're vehicle is capable of getting there.

ya i told the wife we're SOL with the provincial campgrounds, but she said there are some first come first served sites? when do you guys think they will start getting taken? is friday afternoon way too late?

Tacoyaki 07-28-2013 09:43 PM

you could try silver lake just outside of hope, went there not too long ago. It's a first come first serve for about 16$ a night.

T4RAWR 07-28-2013 10:08 PM

jones lake wouldnt be a bad place to try for either. there are bc hydro camp sites and then there are camp sites you can find off the side roads from the logging round.

you could also try for cogburn beach on east harrison, should make it there in a CUV like a rav4 or crv no problem.

also, you could head up to squamish and camp off the main fsr, watch out for rednecks with guns and bears/cougars.

Purely 07-28-2013 10:21 PM

Gonna head to Cogburn beach at the end of Aug :)

T4RAWR 07-28-2013 10:26 PM

^what car?

Purely 07-28-2013 10:31 PM

^^stock cars (accord, civic, altima, impreza, van) Will there be a problem?

Cassijon 07-28-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4RAWR (Post 8290937)
jones lake wouldnt be a bad place to try for either. there are bc hydro camp sites and then there are camp sites you can find off the side roads from the logging round.

you could also try for cogburn beach on east harrison, should make it there in a CUV like a rav4 or crv no problem.

also, you could head up to squamish and camp off the main fsr, watch out for rednecks with guns and bears/cougars.

i drive an AWD so it shouldnt be a prob. is jones lake FCFS?

Brianrietta 07-28-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gYU (Post 8290963)

Shouldn't be, no. The usual things apply like don't pretend you're a rally driver and you'll be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassijon (Post 8290971)
i drive an AWD gmc terrain so it shouldnt be a prob. is jones lake FCFS?

Jones is, yeah. I haven't been up to Jones yet this year but it can be quite rough. I think at some point this summer Hydro was planning on smoothing it out a bit, so hopefully that's done by then.

Brianrietta 07-28-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoyaki (Post 8290908)
you could try silver lake just outside of hope, went there not too long ago. It's a first come first serve for about 16$ a night.

Yeah, and if Silver is full, 40 minutes further down the road Ross Lake probably won't be. I was up there 2 weekends ago and it was remarkably quiet.

Honestly though if you're leaving Van at noon, you should have no problems getting to the no reservations campgrounds like Silver or Ross.

T4RAWR 07-28-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gYU (Post 8290963)

Take pictures :troll:

Cassijon 07-28-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianrietta (Post 8290978)
Yeah, and if Silver is full, 40 minutes further down the road Ross Lake probably won't be. I was up there 2 weekends ago and it was remarkably quiet.

Honestly though if you're leaving Van at noon, you should have no problems getting to the no reservations campgrounds like Silver or Ross.

Sweet. Thanks for the tips everyone

Has anyone here been to rolley lake? Is that an option? The wife said she heard its a nice area
Posted via RS Mobile

T4RAWR 07-29-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassijon (Post 8290992)
Sweet. Thanks for the tips everyone

Has anyone here been to rolley lake? Is that an option? The wife said she heard its a nice area
Posted via RS Mobile

rolley lake is nice, been there a few times.

prepare for drunken idiots lol

bit more of a drive but: http://whistlerhiatus.com/whistlerhi...okumchuck.html

skookumchuck hot springs should be accessible by your car and is nice and quiet/private most of the time. usually the "older" crowd or families go there so its a bit better.

besides, you can soak in a natural hot spring fed tub while kicking back a beer.