REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Joe Rogan Questions Everything

This should be an interesting show! I'm not a Joe Rogan worshipper, but I do enjoy the podcast. I appreciate that he has become much more skeptical of things over the years.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Joe Rogan = CiC
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #3

Kind of the opposite actually

More like an Ulic who is still somewhat in touch with his humanity
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
cool. I'll definitely check it out. I love his podcast.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

his podcasts will stil be more raw (and more intellectual) than this, as this will have to go through the filters of numerous TV execs and what not to sell to an audience

just like ancient aliens, i think they circle around good ideas, but they present it in a way that is just stupifying at times. or they just take everything to the extreme degree of what is even possible. while taking wild leaps of assumptions. top it off with some cool graphics, and then you get that awe and oooh factor production wise

having said that, ill still probably check it out and see for myself first

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
The JRE podcasts are awesome, I used to listen to them in the mornings as I would cook breakfast or have a quick morning workout. Sure beats the hell out of listening to generic news stories or breakfast television.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
check out "the church of whats happening now" with joey diaz..
laugh my ass off every podcast
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I question Joe Rogan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #9

For those who don't listen to the podcast, this is the kind of gold that happens occasionally:

This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #10

Here's a good preview

Investigating Big Foot With Joe Rogan -- Vulture

Joe Rogan arrives on the fourth floor of NYU’s anthropology department in Greenwich Village still clinging to the possibility that Bigfoot isn’t total bullshit. “I don’t believe,” Rogan says, “but I don’t not believe, you know? There’s enough weird people that have muddied the issue that it seems like fuckery, but then Jane Goodall says she’s absolutely convinced, and then when you go [to the Pacific Northwest] and there’s so much uncharted land up there, it’s impossible to see it all. And then Native Americans have 100 different names for this thing, and they’re uniform in their descriptions—it’s always a large, tall ape.”

Rogan, a former martial artist and current Ultimate Fighting Championship color guy, is a compact, muscular, hairless-pated hominid deeply attuned to his inner monkey. Having emerged from sitcom acting (Hardball, NewsRadio) and reality-TV hosting (seven seasons of Fear Factor), Rogan now hosts a twice-weekly three-hour talk show, The Joe Rogan Experience, where he frequently evangelizes about pot and psychedelics and the Altered States–style isolation tank he keeps in the basement of his home north of Los Angeles. This month on Syfy, he’s launching Joe Rogan Questions Everything, an unscripted X-Files in which he’ll alternately channel Mulder and Scully as he investigates topics ranging from black-helicopter crazy (chem trails) to actual, secret government-research programs (weaponized weather, remote viewing).

He’s in New York for a conference on transhumanism, and while here, he’s getting in an interview for the TV show with Todd Disotell, a fiftyish biological anthropologist with a Mohawk, an impressive collection of aged whiskey, and an office door crowded with stickers that say things like HONK! IF YOU UNDERSTAND PUNCTUATED EQUILIBRIUM. Disotell has become a go-to talking head for TV producers looking to inject some reality into the Bigfoot “debate.”

Rogan had told me earlier, “I’m trying to go into it with a completely open mind, talk to the believers, kooks, scientists.” A cynic could say that being open-minded about Bigfoot just means you haven’t taken fifteen minutes to read a Wikipedia page thoroughly debunking it. Rogan, 45, is a guy who knows what TV needs—suspense until the very end—but he also comes by his interests honestly. He has long read books and watched documentaries about “stupid shit … weird fringe topics … I have a deep curiosity for things that haven’t been solved yet.” He knows Disotell is going to provide the rigorous, scientific case against Bigfoot; still, Rogan clearly likes the idea of Bigfoot and seems to enjoy having a platform that allows him to get to the bottom of all the mysteries that tantalized him growing up, even if they turn out to be fuckery.

His producers had sent Disotell some alleged Bigfoot scat and hair samples, collected by Bigfoot hunters, to analyze in advance of today’s interview, and after comparing molecular-themed tattoos—*Disotell’s, on his upper back, illustrates the chemical structure of three of his favorite stimulants: alcohol, caffeine, and capsaicin; Rogan’s, on his left bicep, depicts DMT, a.k.a. dimethyltryptamine, part of the shamanic brew ayahuasca—Rogan proceeds to lay out the various arcane arguments in defense of Bigfoot, which Disotell then knocks down one by one. The Swiss wildlife photographer who claimed to have taken pictures of a previously unknown species of ape? Disotell’s a DNA man, not a photo appraiser. What about the uniformity of sightings? Like angels and alien abductions, “it’s a meme, literally.” What about Melba Ketchum—a Texas Bigfoot-ologist who reported that highly sophisticated analyses of a sample had isolated Bigfoot DNA? The non-peer-reviewed journal it was published in was registered with GoDaddy a week before the article was published, and “the way they analyze, interpret that data is … I want to be polite, I don’t want to say crazy, it’s … heterodox.”

“What is heterodox?” Rogan asks.

“It’s crazy,” Disotell says.

“Ohhh,” Rogan moans to the camera. “Todd Disotell, Bigfoot party pooper, just trashed the whole Bigfoot party. So there’s zero evidence; all the evidence sucks; it’s all crazy and unscientific.” Rogan seems resigned, albeit crestfallen. Afterward, over a lunch of fish and chips at Murphy & *Gonzalez across the street, Rogan acknowledges: “You can’t fuck with science. What he said was pretty irrefutable. There’s a lot of fuckery, lots of muddy thinking.” But then he says to Disotell: “You didn’t disprove Bigfoot, you just disproved the evidence.”

Having now interviewed a lot of Believers—not all of them total kooks—Rogan’s most persuasive finding has less to do with the mysteries of fringe phenomena than with the central role of whimsical longing in the human psyche. “All these people searching for mysteries … They’re all unfuckable white dudes. You don’t find a single black guy looking for Bigfoot. Zero,” he says. “A lot of these guys are in their forties,” Rogan continues, “and they openly talk about how this is part of their midlife crisis. One guy, Steve, a very, very nice guy, his take on it was, ‘Hey, man, even if there’s no Bigfoot, at least I’m out here camping, I’m enjoying myself, I’m having a good time.’ ”
Old 07-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Kinda stopped listening to his podcasts because he loves to talk over his guests. It gets a bit frustrating.

I can't get enough of the Bill Burr Monday Morning podcast though. SO FUNNY. He incorporates a lot of sports analogies (for those who enjoy, NFL, NHL, NBA) too.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Love all the aforementioned podcasts...for some who look for some "serious" interviews...check out HERE's THE THING with ALEC BALDWIN.
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #13

"Can you tell us a bit about the new show? How did it come about?

Remember Jesse Ventura’s show, Conspiracy Theory? Well, I’ve been friends with the producers of that show for quite some time. We had been talking about doing something and they thought up of having someone replace Jesse Ventura. I immediately thought — Oh my God, I am so not interested in that, and I’m so not the right guy for that — because I think most conspiracy theories are bullshit. Most of these “mysteries” can be solved fairly easily. And most of this shit really starts to depress me, particularly when you get into things like government schemes and efforts to control the population — that shit kind of freaks me out and I’m really not interested in that. But I am interested in the really stupid shit — like UFOs, Bigfoot, ghosts, and psychics. And I’m also fascinated with the psychology of the believer — and that’s what this show has really turned into being a lot about.

So we got together and came up with a show where we discuss these subjects with a completely open mind — where I talk to people, get their take on it — regardless of whether they’re a proponent, or a critic, or whatever their particular take on it might be — and we try to figure it all out.

It’s interesting that you bring up the psychology of the believer. What have you discovered?

Well, for one thing, it’s way more fun to think that there are aliens than that people are full of shit.

When I talk to all these people, and we talk about the evidence, they tell me the strangest things. One of the guys I talked to recently, when I asked him what evidence he had, said he had a signed and written affidavit.

I stopped him right there and said, “That’s not evidence.” But he argued and said the document would hold up in a court of law — and that it could even have the power to convict someone. I said to him, “But we’re not in a court of law — we’re talking about scientific evidence — what you’ve got there is a story. You just asked some people who agreed with your story to put their names to it. That’s not how you do science, and that's not evidence.”

As for UFO claims, when you sit down and talk to these people who say that UFOs are visiting us on a daily basis, that the government has been in regular contact, and that they’ve been back-engineering this-and-that, I respond by saying that what they’ve got is interesting and fascinating...but where’s the evidence?

To be fair, some of their ideas are certainly plausible — like the idea that there’s intelligent life somewhere out there in the Universe. In fact, it’s a conjecture that’s being supported by science. We’re constantly finding new planets — many of them in goldilocks zones that can support life. And we’re constantly re-evaluating the potential for life. We’re finding it where we didn’t think it could exist, such as volcanic vents and other extreme conditions like under arctic ice. We’re finding life in these incredibly harsh and dynamic conditions, so we’re having to re-evaluate our own ideas of what’s possible on this planet alone. So, in the Universe, could there be life? Fuck yeah, there could be life. Absolutely. However, we haven’t found it. And to say that we’ve found it would be a massive disservice to what we have found.

But when these people start talking about UFOs, there’s nothing. There’s nothing we can weigh, nothing we can measure. There’s not one thing we can put on a scale and say, “Hey, this is something we simply do not understand,” or “We really don’t know where this thing came from.” Or, something more than just a blurry video showing a ship landing on a field. There’s nothing that makes me believe. Now, I don’t disbelieve. But there’s nothing I’ve seen that seems real to me.

Terence McKenna had a really beautiful thing to say about UFOs. He said that when someone tells you about UFOs, don’t ask them about UFOs. Instead, ask them about how they feel about psychics. Ask them what their opinion is on ghosts. Ask them if they believe in Bigfoot. You’ll find a pattern. And this is one of the things that I’m finding on this show.

You see, they’re not just looking to find out if UFOs are real. What they’re looking for is something magical and something mysterious that hasn’t been discovered yet. They’re looking for some excitement in their boring lives. One of the ways that I describe these people — and it’s really quite unfortunate — is that they’re a bunch of unfuckable white dudes. I haven’t found a single black guy looking for Bigfoot. I’ve look high and large, and it’s all white dudes in their late forties and fifties. It’s all midlife crisis people. They’re not the happiest people in the world — and no disrespect — but they’re looking for things to be real that aren’t necessarily real.

I think it’s awesome that you’re approaching these claims with a healthy degree of skepticism.

Well, to be fair, I do try to come in with an open mind. But unfortunately, with all these subjects, you kind of have to be skeptical after a while. The more you talk to people about UFOs or Bigfoot or psychic phenomenon, the more you start to realize that the same sort of thinking exists almost across the board. And it almost stops being about the subject — it’s more about the idea of mystery than anything else — this recurring theme of someone trying to figure something out, and trying to find something that makes their otherwise mundane life more interesting.

And it’s because of this that the show has proven to be a hell of a lot of work — it’s been a total grind — even a bit annoying. The networks are not used to putting on truly skeptical shows, or truly honest shows. They want to promote drama — that’s what they like to do. They’re more about, “OH MY GOD, what’s going to happen right after this commercial!?” So we’ve been struggling to avoid doing that sort of thing.

You must be a fan of Penn and Teller’s Bullshit.

Yeah, I love that show. But the problem with that show was that they were always trying to call bullshit, and that is in my opinion is just as bad as trying to prove that all things are a conspiracy.

For example, one of the things that Penn and Teller tried to disprove was yoga. And they tried to make it out as being nothing more than stretching — and that’s ridiculous. As a longtime practitioner of yoga and a person who’s been involved in physical fitness my whole life, I can tell you, yoga helps you achieve altered states of consciousness. It is not just stretching. The only way you can say that it’s stretching is if you haven’t done it, or that you haven’t done it rigorously for a long period of time. You can achieve a state of calmness and of euphoria when you do yoga — and it’s not unlike a drug. I mean, it’s not like taking an incredibly potent psychedelic. But unquestioningly — without a doubt — yoga can do that to you. And this is based on my personal experience and the personal experience of many people who have done it.

So when I saw this episode, I was like, ‘Ah, c’mon, guys.’ I love Penn and Teller, but they missed out on something in that episode.

You’re primarily known for your work as a UFC commentator and comedian. But your podcast, The Joe Rogan Experience, tackles a bunch of heady subjects. In a way, you’ve become a bit of a science popularizer — and for an audience who normally wouldn’t be interested in that kind of subject matter.

Well, I like to think of myself as the bridge between the meat heads and the pot heads. But really, we’re not that far apart — we’re just human beings. We vary by our physical appearances, we vary by our interests, and we vary based on our personal experiences — but the reality is that interesting things are interesting.

And what’s interesting about science is that we’re constantly discovering new things about the universe, about ourselves, about our bodies, about diseases, about the possibilities of the future. It’s amazing. Science is one of the coolest things about being a human being — without a doubt.

The problem, however, is how science gets introduced to people at school. There’s a real issue with education in this country. And part of the problem has to do — at least in my experience — with incredibly unenthusiastic teachers who are compensated extremely meagrely in a world where their job is not treated with the respect it deserves. They’re not being viewed as the important tools for human development that they are. And because they’re not getting this respect, what we’re now dealing with is a bunch of poorly paid babysitters that are telling kids about things they don’t really care about.

On top of that, students have to sit down for far too many hours. Traditional schooling is not engaging, it doesn’t allow students to find things out on their own, driven by their own enthusiasm, time, and pace. So you force people to fit into a mould, and people tend to resist these things.

Look, subjects like math, physics, and history are not boring at all — they’re just being presented in a really boring manner.

But fortunately today, we live in the era of the internet and social networking. The ability to share interesting items with each other has really changed the way people come into contact with these subjects.

For example, George, you could send me a link to an interesting article, and then I’d tweet it out to all my twitter followers and say, “Hey, this is badass.” In that instant, hundreds of thousands of people are exposed to something you just sent me. And that’s amazing. It’s engaging, exciting, and easy to absorb — especially for people who might only have a passing interest in this stuff.

But I also think that it’s been my enthusiasm for these things that’s helped other people catch onto them as well.

Sure, but we’ve still got this prevailing attitude of anti-intellectualism in the US. A lot of people still think it’s not cool to be smart. This is highly problematic — and it leads to a dismissal of science and a lack of critical thinking.

Yeah, it can lead to a whole host of problems. But what I choose to focus on is how interesting it is. It’s not my job to try to prevent people from becoming dumb. There’s nothing you can do to spark someone’s curiosity or a joy of learning other than to express your own.

You’re dealing with a very complex issue in anti-intellectualism. You have to consider the environment these people grew up in, what kind of despair they may have in their community, who their role models are — there are so many different variables when you’re trying to figure out why someone would embrace anti-intellectualism.

But in my own experience it’s becoming less and less of a factor than it ever has before. We are experiencing, through all these incredible new channels and tools of exchanging information, an age of enlightenment that has never existed before. We’re in the midst of it, so it’s hard for us to realize what’s happening while it’s happening. But it is happening — and over the course of decades rather than centuries.

There’s also the role of religion to consider in all of this, including the Creationist agenda.

I think that the form of creationism that’s being promoted by fundamentalists today is incredibly simplistic, and it’s coming from a very simplistic mindset. These people, along with their ideas, get bogged down through control, through ideology, through fear, and all the different aspects of religion that are so unsavoury.

But at the very root of it, when you’re reading the bible or any religious text, you’re reading the work of people who lived thousands of years ago who were simply trying to piece together the universe and life. Some of their ideas are unfounded, some are ridiculous, or require total belief — they reek of human insecurity.

At the same time, many of their teachings still apply today — they’re guidelines to live your life in a harmonious way, like treating others like we’d like them to treat us.

But when it comes to religion today, what we’re having a really hard time accepting is the idea that a single person can have any of the answers to some of life’s ultimate questions. Like, what happens when you die, where do you go, what is God, and what does God actually want? And the fact of the matter is that many of these questions haven’t been vetted out. No one has answered these questions.

As for those involved in fundamentalist religions, many of them are simply not being exposed to enough alternative information or interesting science. They need to learn and accept that there’s still a lot of mystery to this world.

Faith itself is a horrible mechanism that stunts the growth of ideas. It also stunts the act of questioning, and it does this by pushing the idea that you have to have faith — and that nothing has to be proven.

Look, one of the most beautiful things about science is that it doesn’t require faith. What it requires is huge attention to the work that’s been done and to understand all the various aspects to that work. And in that, you can see the very building blocks of matter. You can see the very mechanism in which cells become a person, the very mechanism with which a seed absorbs water and becomes a plant, and how it uses photosynthesis to grow.

All this is beautiful and magical. And it's scientific. "

Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #14

I know I'm the only one talking about this, but I love shows like these You all know that I carry a skeptic's chip on my shoulder at all times, so this is right up my alley. Plus Rogan's character is hilarious and entertaining to me (yes, he wears a fanny pack in the show, and addresses it even, and yes they are blasted out of their minds when hunting for sasquatch, be sure to watch the credits)

So anyway, the first ep was pretty good. The right combo of goofy characters, interesting squatch info, and goofy joe rogan. I will be following this show for sure.

That being said, here's the first episode in full:

This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
"Can you tell us a bit about the new show? How did it come about?

Remember Jesse Ventura’s show, Conspiracy Theory? Well, I’ve been friends with the producers of that show for quite some time. We had been talking about doing something and they thought up of having someone replace Jesse Ventura. I immediately thought — Oh my God, I am so not interested in that, and I’m so not the right guy for that — because I think most conspiracy theories are bullshit. Most of these “mysteries” can be solved fairly easily. And most of this shit really starts to depress me, particularly when you get into things like government schemes and efforts to control the population — that shit kind of freaks me out and I’m really not interested in that. But I am interested in the really stupid shit — like UFOs, Bigfoot, ghosts, and psychics. And I’m also fascinated with the psychology of the believer — and that’s what this show has really turned into being a lot about.

So we got together and came up with a show where we discuss these subjects with a completely open mind — where I talk to people, get their take on it — regardless of whether they’re a proponent, or a critic, or whatever their particular take on it might be — and we try to figure it all out.
I gotta say... after all the celebrity-nutjob-conspiracy-find-the-truth shows LIKE that Jesse Ventura one, I was pretty jaded about this... but having read through this interview, it actually sounds intriguing. I'll definitely be giving it a look... and it will be interesting to see if he maintains this all-sides-treated-fairly angle, or if he starts wandering into bullshit territory for the sake of driving ratings. I mean, look at Fear Factor: it started out with some actual fear-inducing stuff, and gradually degraded into little more than "Gross-Out Factor".

I did particularly like this bit:

Quote:
You must be a fan of Penn and Teller’s Bullshit.

Yeah, I love that show. But the problem with that show was that they were always trying to call bullshit, and that is in my opinion is just as bad as trying to prove that all things are a conspiracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I gotta say... after all the celebrity-nutjob-conspiracy-find-the-truth shows LIKE that Jesse Ventura one, I was pretty jaded about this... but having read through this interview, it actually sounds intriguing. I'll definitely be giving it a look... and it will be interesting to see if he maintains this all-sides-treated-fairly angle, or if he starts wandering into bullshit territory for the sake of driving ratings. I mean, look at Fear Factor: it started out with some actual fear-inducing stuff, and gradually degraded into little more than "Gross-Out Factor".

I did particularly like this bit:
Exactly! I find that most people are dismissing this as just another nutjob show like Ventura's show, or an overly critical show like Bullshit. But it's not, it serves both sides perfectly well, and on top of that has goofball characters and whackiness. (and bs reality tv cuts but oh well)

Listening to the podcast, it sounds like he has quite a bit of control over it. He talked about having to deal with the bullshit (and you saw it in the bumper segments in the first episode). The fact that he totally admits that they weren't finding bigfoot, despite the preview segments suggesting they did, is pretty assuring. Also he is going to SHIT on the bullshit conspiracies like chem trails, I'm sure. Because unlike bigfoot, there IS no way you can defend that one without sounding like a complete moron
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
I thought the first episode was great and I really liked how he was calling BS and you could so tell he didn't believe some of the people. I can't wait for the next episode!!
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #18
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
I think he should grow his fucking hair back.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #19

He hasn't been able to grow hair in probably 20 years it was all taken from the back of his head (you can see the nasty scars when watching the show)
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
The cryptolinguist bit was awkward, it did clearly sound like a kung fu movie lol.

Good show so far, I'll keep watching.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Lmfao @ the mic scene. Duncan was shitting bricks.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
definitely cool show. I think he is hilarious in general so it's great entertainment.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote