REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 07-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Online dating = ??

Curious to hear who has tried online dating websites (and, if so, what your experiences were).

I've been generally quite skeptical of internet dating as a whole simply because I picture most of the female members who use dating sites are either a) not actually female, or b) fat, hideously ugly, and possibly sporting a beard.

Came across this research article the other day and thought it was pretty interesting... for those too lazy to read the full thing, here are their conclusions:

Quote:
"So, does online dating actually offer a better chance of establishing a healthy, happy, long-term relationship than traditional offline methods? At this point, the research suggests that this simply isn’t the case. “There is no reason to believe that online dating improves romantic outcomes,” says Harry Reis, a professor of psychology at University of Rochester. “It may yet, and someday some service might provide good data to show it can, but there is certainly no evidence to that right now.” (19)

Despite the fact that online dating fails to increase the odds of finding a lifelong partner, it still offers several welcome benefits. For one, it allows users to interact with other singles quickly and easily. Secondly, the presence of niche dating websites allows people to narrow the focus of their search to a very specific subgroup. But perhaps most importantly, internet dating websites offer a new place for single people seeking companionship to meet and interact, which is a welcome alternative to traditional meeting places such as bars and nightclubs."
In other words, online dating is a good place to meet people but doesn't guarantee that the people you meet will be any more compatible than those you might meet at a bar (or wherever).

So, online dating... yay or nay?

Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I have not tried it, but from my perspective it online dating is becoming a more acceptable means of meeting new people. Some may believe that only desperate, needy, ugly etc people use it but there are some actually pretty cool people on sites. They may just be shy or they are just not interested in anyone in their friendship circle. A friend of mine is on the site and shes quite an awesome person in my opinion. I'm not her type so she won't go with me ahah. A friend's sister uses it and I also think she lives quite a normal life but just can't find that somebody in her friendship circle. Give things a chance I guess, gives you an opportunity to work on your social skills I guess, since it would almost be like blind dating.... Though will be the occasional "bad" girl/boy you will find.

The site they are on is plenty of fish.
iKayChow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I meet my current gf through online dating.

Is actually pretty decent. There are people of all types (pretty looking, ugly, tone, fat, skinny, active, shy, talkatvie.....) so is just like meeting people in real life. I meet some really fun people, dated a few of them. The thing with online dating is that the people on the sites are generally looking for a bf/gf as well unless trying to meet someone in the bar.

Also you can chat with them or E-mail with them first before actually meeting up so you can get to know the person better before you decide to meet up. I can search for my potential match anytime I like and chat with them when I am in the mood. Is actually pretty fun.

I suggest using a paid online dating site like match.com or eharmony. Since is paid people just don't sign up and play around.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Been with my gf for over a year now, met her from pof.

It's a great site to date, I don't want to find a drunk girl who can barely walk at a dt club...so this way I can look at girls, send out a few messages, and line up a few meet ups through the week. I don't have time to go out and meet girls through friends or at a supermarket etc, so yeah, it's easier, the girls online are actually wanting to date, so I just look through the ones interested in dating/long term dating and go from there.

Should try it
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i met my wife on asianavenue.com 13 years ago.

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I've tried the online dating thing, and honestly found its a bit of a sham. Being in my early to mid 20's now I found that most females on the sites were still too busy with school, work, or partying. Its a window shopping approach to dating. Look at the profile, look at pics, if its not Ryan Gosling, ignore.

However few friends who are in their late 20's have had good luck with finding a significant other through online dating. I guess it has to do with when woman know times-a-ticking and know the milks gon' go bad. Maybe ill wait till then if I need some serious help.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Front page of The Sun's Business section, October 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I've never tried it, but some of my friends did and it's pretty good.
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've dated a few people I've met online over the years, and it's really not as bad as people make it seem.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
I've tried the online dating thing, and honestly found its a bit of a sham. Being in my early to mid 20's now I found that most females on the sites were still too busy with school, work, or partying. Its a window shopping approach to dating. Look at the profile, look at pics, if its not Ryan Gosling, ignore.

However few friends who are in their late 20's have had good luck with finding a significant other through online dating. I guess it has to do with when woman know times-a-ticking and know the milks gon' go bad. Maybe ill wait till then if I need some serious help.
I gotta disagree.

im not saying your one of them, but the friends I know who have said that same response were the ones who didn't describe themselves enough, made themselves seem like a bore to be with, the ones who didn't have that kick to the way they sold themselves etc. profile pictures do have a HUGE impact though, if you've a picture of yourself holding a camera phone infront of a mirror...that's a no. if you've described yourself as a traveller, sports fan, a dancer, etc.. then put some pics up to back those statements up....show them you'd be fun to be with, they don't want to see a picture of you standing in a hallway at school smiling. times a tickin for women when theyre in their late 30's to early 40's and they just want to be with someone. but for the girls our age (20's) they've always got time and looks don't mean shit. ever see a fat guy with a smoking hot girl?? (just like penis size, it doesn't matter how small it is, its how you use it)

I had such an asshole profile that was degrading to women, but at the very bottom I basically said 'if you think this is serious...move on to the next person'. yet everyday i'd have emails saying how funny I am and we should meet up and go for coffee or have a beer at a pub. if you can make the girl laugh, that's all you need lol

even though I type with an 8th grade grammar on here, I can fucking sell myself if your interested in trying again let me know and ill see if I can help you rewrite a profile, ive done it for a few others already lol
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,411 Posts
You'll probably get better results from paid dating sites than free.

One of my best friends met his current long term gf (probably soon fiancee) on eHarmony or Match.com or something.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
The main positive of online dating is that you get exposed to different people you wouldn't ordinarily come across or meet. In a city like Vancouver where it's difficult to meet people outside your social circle, this is a god-send.

However, men who tend to be successful in online dating are generally successful when meeting people in real life. If you're boring and lack confidence in your everyday interactions, chances are that your personality will be reflected in your online dating profile.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
For people looking to get married to the right person, I know a few people that have used eHarmony with great success. My sister met her husband through that.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
Been on Eharmony and went on two POF dates last week with different chicks. What do you want to know?

It's good to get out their if you aint used to dating, bitches be crazy and don't trust the pics when they have only head shots...

Buddy went on a POF date once and the chick only had one leg..... No lie I almost died when he told me. Most POF dates you can get laid by the 2-3rd date if thats what you are looking for tho.

If you do date online close the deal and don't get stuck in texting non-stop, if they don't want to meet up say fuck it and move onto the next one.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Front page of The Sun's Business section, October 2000...
sweet mullet
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
used POF, didn't really get any relationships out of it.. got laid a few times. I think its a perfectly acceptable way to go about finding someone. I look at it as if it were those things where you sit at a table for a few minutes and then rotate to the next person, .
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #17
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Most POF dates you can get laid by the 2-3rd date

why does it take so long!

from what I have been told POF is not a dating site at all, I have friends that have used it and currently do use it and the atmosphere that has been described to me is more of a sexual nature.

The kind of people that are active on that site are more interested in hooking up... not always a bad thing.. but if I was to be looking for a relationship it wouldnt start there.

I have never used a dating site but alot of my relationships or "flings" start off just by talking to someone on facebook "not messaging randoms" but just by actually sparking up convo with someone you have met through a friend or havnt spoken to in a while, yes that usually means you have met them in person.. but that means there are no immediate surprises...
like a girl having 1 leg
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #18

pof used to have a category for "sexual encounters", once you message someone within that category, you can never message anyone outside of it for dating.

it pretty much is used as a hump and dump site which is why all the good girls are on pay sites. I only slept with a few girls from that site, but the ones I did, I was with them for a short time of 2-3 months with 2-3 dates a week. I have a friends category on my facebook with girls ive met from pof that I still talk to, if dating them doesn't work out, theres always friendship...and girls have other girl friends, so if you dont fuck your chances with her, shes normally willing to try to set you up with one of her gf's
Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
sweet mullet
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post

from what I have been told POF is not a dating site at all, I have friends that have used it and currently do use it and the atmosphere that has been described to me is more of a sexual nature.
Well, there's always "Adult Friend Finder" if you don't feel like muddling through all the social conventions. Buddy of mine has some rather, umm... "particular" tastes when it comes to sexual activities... nothing really outrageous, he just knows what he likes, and doesn't want to waste time with chicks who are just going to freak out over it. So he was very specific and very open on his AFF profile... and it works well for him. He's met (and had "fun" with) several chicks who are into the same things, all of whom were particularly appreciative of how up-front he was. Even had a couple, "you sound great, BUT I don't do that" replies, also saying they were appreciative that he put it out there right off the top.
Quote:
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

I met my wife via ICQ 14 years ago and now I have two kids.

So I believe online dating is possible
209.247.83.192:27015
JackAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
Cause I aint a man whore
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
I was going to fail you for that but I can respect it
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #23
In RS I Trust

I enjoy a challenge a bit at least, hitting that shit the same night doesn't do it for me if that makes sense.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I enjoy a challenge a bit at least, hitting that shit the same night doesn't do it for me if that makes sense.
then try to get a girl "out of your league" make it a challenge
Old 07-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
then try to get a girl "out of your league" make it a challenge
Better yet, try to get Xilley.
Quote: