REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

politician = raise the taxes
car driver = raise the fares
cyclist = toll all roads for motor vehicles and raise gas prices
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Cyclists need to start paying insurance. If they want to share the road, they have to share in the responsibility.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #28
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
So you're gonna make 3 year olds buy insurance for their bicycles when they're learning to ride? Maybe we should get L's and N's for bikes too
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #29
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

to be honest, cyclists should be made to have a license after say age 13 or so. at the very least anyone who rides in traffic should be made to sit through a basic orientation video of how not to be a dumb fuck on the road.

before I had a car, i had no fuicking idea what i was doing. ride anywhere that i wanted, ignored lights etc. I coulda been killed doing that stupid shit
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
So you're gonna make 3 year olds buy insurance for their bicycles when they're learning to ride? Maybe we should get L's and N's for bikes too
No, kids should be riding on the sidewalks where it's safe for them. Kids don't understand the rules of the road.

Adults 16+ (if you can get a drivers license at that age, your responsible enough to know how things work), should have to ride their bikes on the road.
I don't mind being stuck behind a few cyclists who are slow while I'm waiting for it to be safe so I can pass them, but what I do mind is the fact that they run red lights, don't stop at stop signs, they squeeze in between my truck and the curb at a red light trying to lane share, and ride on the road and dont take responsibility for their actions...they just jump to shouting "lawsuit!!! He hit me with his car!!". Perhaps they wouldn't be hit if they followed the rules...or had to pay some sort of extra insurance that ties in with their auto insurance. Them getting into a accident on their bike results in their car insurance to go up....bet there would be 25% less accidents or close calls withinh the first month lol.
Posted via RS Mobile
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
You want to make a big dent in traffic issues? For free no less?

Here you go kids: STOP DRIVING LIKE AN ASSHOLE

If you realize that when you drive like an asshole, everyone around you needs to drive defensively, the world would be a better place.

What happens when the world around you has to drive more cautiously? We have to go slower. And that causes the whole system to slow down.

Now I'm not saying that driving with caution is bad. Quite the opposite actually. But we all have those moments where a driver makes you more cautious. You see him eaving in the rear view, so you know he's going to do it to you. And you start to think, "Is he going to see you? Is there enough room in front of you? Do you pull up closer, or just give him room?"

If everyone remembered that everyone wants to get home and just tried to get everyone home quickly and safely...we'd have all the road capacity we need.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

No man Vancouver is screwed, you cant have a 4 lane highway or a corridor with tons of traffic lights as your main arteries for a population of 2million....
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #33
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
I'll take assholes over people who don't realize the left lane is for passing any day
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #34

when I first came into this thread, I only read what was on page 2, but after reading the first post -

anyone who drives for a company does a 360 check each day, its called a pre-trip inspection, they have books for it, checking off every last detail so they can keep track of how shitty their drivers are treating their vehicles. when I use backhoes, the inspection goes so in depth as to me having to check bolts, fluid levels, tread depth, hydraulic lines, etc.

who slows down at greens and looks both ways at a green light?? I bet 90% of people on motorcycles take a quick glance. even when im a passenger in a car I look.

why not just make it mandatory for everyone to have a class 1 license then? that's the hardest vehicle to drive in my experience...if you cant back up a 40ft trailer, does that mean you cant drive? if you need to use gps does that make you inferior since you constantly get distracted from the "turn left here" sound or the sound of your radio or friends talking to you?

speed limits are there for a reason, the speed is relative to the type of road your driving on. ever notice how driving on nice new fresh blacktop gives you that feel of extra control and comfort? so for those who are fortunate to drive, will they be the ones shelling out the extra money to have roads repaved with a new material for better traction? or should we just hike up transit fares as well since they'd be getting use out of the roads also.

ill agree with you that the current driving test is bullshit and a 10 year old could pass it. but if you cant control the shitty ass drivers on the road, then just become a better defensive driver. if shitty drivers are the reason your always 10 minutes late, leave earlier and anticipate shit traffic. one of my lacrosse coaches used to tell us "your going to be here an hour early before your a minute late" show up a few min late for a practice, do laps, show up late for a game, introduce your butt to the bench.

id much rather see cars come with dash cams running on a 24 hour loop attatched to a removable usb stick, and a non emergency police line where you can simply call in, give the license plate, vehicle description, send the video online, and then have a cop issue them a ticket through mail. I bet that would smarten everyone up asap.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
No, kids should be riding on the sidewalks where it's safe for them. Kids don't understand the rules of the road.
While I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Province of British Columbia Motor Vehicle Act - Section 183
2a. A person operating a cycle must not ride on a sidewalk unless authorized by a by-law made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
never understood that law
since when is riding a bike on a sidewalk unsafe? I wonder if law enforcement ever stopped a dad biking with his 6 year old kid on a sidewalk and gave him a ticket for that offense
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
making the exams harder doesn't solve anything.

The driver exam in china is ridiculously hard. ask anyone that's ever taken a test there.
AND you need 90% to pass.

90% to pass AND it's like academically hard and they throw in questions that don't even... seem to have to do with driving.... cars are hella expensive there too.

i'm sure someone here can give u examples of questions they give you.

the real solution is you should only work where you live. but we know that ain't never gonna happen unless we live in some highly structured almost commie state. lol even in those states it doesnt happen hah.

we have to take away the people's freedoms and autonomy in life for traffic to fix itself.

ORRR how about this. FUCK the normal 9-5 schedules. why the fuck do we have to wake up early to work anyway? we aren't farmers. fuck "the early bird gets the worm". times have changed. they should have things that go all day and night and start during various times.

why the fuck does the service industry work in the day? they should only be operating AFTER work. post office, bank, doctors, malls. all that shit should be AFTER work till late night. whos fucking idea is it to have the service industry operate during the times EVERYONE ELSE (people theyre supposed to SERVE), are still at work?

the problem is deeper than just... traffic.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #38

-edit

whoops nvm
Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #39
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I work with a few people who live in the guildford area and are adamant that they'd rather take the patullo and avoid the fine then save X time and take port Mann

With the new port man I can get from the bridge to BCIT parking lot in under 25 minutes basically any day any time unless there is an accident. The new bridge/highway system is a great improvement on the old alternative
I know too many people like this. they think just too fcking illogical. like it boggles my mind that you are willing travel an extra 15 minutes (30 minutes if you include the return trip), not to mention the extra gas money just to avoid the port mann.

Also some of these people drive decent cars too, that's extra mileage, means you need to do your oil change or any car maintenance more recently.

like it really doesnt make sense.

im willing to pay an extra $5 bucks a day easily just to save 30-45 minutes. my time is worth much more than that. not to mention health benefits of not sitting in your car for that time.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #40
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
make all cars self-driving. it'll work as a swarm and move as one. instead of these asshole cars who don't know how to lead a pack of traffic behind them with tons of room ahead, speed up and decrease the damn gap!
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #41
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
or we use Hyperloop

Tesla's Elon Musk Working on a Mach 1-Capable Hyperloop Plane-Train Hybrid - Carscoops

It’s hard not to be impressed by Elon Musk’s achievements so far, and he seems to have the magic business touch which makes things just work, even against reasonable odds. Who would have thought that sending money from any place in the world could be made easy and only require the use of a bank for the withdrawal process, the rest being surprisingly fuss-free, or the almost justifiable all-electric sedan with genuine mass appeal – it too works, and apparently very well indeed. He even put the idea of private space exploration into practice, with SpaceX.
If it had been anybody else saying they want to unveil plans for a “cross between a Concorde, a railgun and an air hockey table” that can take its passengers from L.A. to San Francisco in 30 minutes, at an average (transonic) speed of 800 miles per hour (1280 km/h, or around Mach 1), and which would actually be cheaper to set up than building an old-fashioned train to serve the same route, we would have laughed. However, since this is Musk, who has thus far had a knack for making everything work, we can say our eyebrows are raised.

The Tesla boss recently announced that plans for such an alternative means of transport would be made public by August 12, and be open source, because patents are to be avoided unless they are critical for the company’s survival. Last year, he explained how he envisions the Hyperloop: “What you want is something that never crashes, that’s at least twice as fast as a plane, that’s solar-powered and that leaves right when you arrive, so there is no waiting for a specific departure time,” according to the NY Times which quote a 2012 article published by Bloomberg.

If you hadn't previously heard of the Hyperloop, there are videos linked below with the man himself (vaguely) explaining what the idea is.
Fuck I hope this comes to fruition and is world wide. Imagine working in North America making 70-80k average and living in an emerging market where costs of living are ridiculously low! That's the dream.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Traffic is a caused by a strict work and school schedule that for some dumb reason everyone adheres to even if they are unrelated. Like Ulic said, a lot of businesses/services should open maybe after 5 pm so people could actually go without missing work or school. With more irregular work schedules, you'll easily see less traffic. I live in HK and also drive in China a lot and its fucking crazy traffic most of the time, but if your not fixed to driving during certain schedules then its actually pretty chill.
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #43
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Um, we send kids to school while we go to work so that we don't have to have daycare for kids at opposite hours?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #44
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

If you do something really stupid like say a friend said his coworker parking in a stall, stepped on the gas jumped out of the lot, down the grass, onto the street, over the island, up onto the sidewalk and into a fence.

Saw a guy at the Langara parking lot late at night when it was pretty empty. This guy backs out of his spot but for some reason floors it. The two stalls behind him were empty but there was a car in the next stalls which he slammed into without turning his wheel at all.

When ICBC or the police hear these stories they should be allowed to revoke the licenses immediately. If you do something like that, it's obvious you can't drive
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
ORRR how about this. FUCK the normal 9-5 schedules. why the fuck do we have to wake up early to work anyway? we aren't farmers. fuck "the early bird gets the worm". times have changed. they should have things that go all day and night and start during various times.

why the fuck does the service industry work in the day? they should only be operating AFTER work. post office, bank, doctors, malls. all that shit should be AFTER work till late night. whos fucking idea is it to have the service industry operate during the times EVERYONE ELSE (people theyre supposed to SERVE), are still at work?

the problem is deeper than just... traffic.
Ahh you are talking about the system in Asian Liberal countries. (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong as a city, to name a few)

Banks and financial institutes I understand they have to largely overlap with the stock market and exchange market to keep up service with its clients. But then:

Why don't we open stores with hours like 12pm to 11pm instead? (From what I gathered, this is hindered by the delivery schedule of trucks, and other logistics difficulty between chains and suppliers.)
Why don't we fix freeways during 12am to 8am instead? (that's kind of happening already)
Why don't we open the Vancouver Ports during late night so the trucks use the road when everybody else isn't? (With our stupid city design everyone living on Knight St won't be getting any sleep though).

Because that's how it operates over there. Late night trucking, shops that seem to be open always because it's open when you are available. Freeways that turn smooth overight. Ahhh the possibilities are endless if you time share the road properly.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote