REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
The Solution To All Traffic Problems

This might be completely stupid but my friends and I were talking over...well, what ended up as too many beers so this might not make sense but...I can't think of the reasons why it doesn't so here goes.

Too many cars, not enough people taking transit, too many shitty drivers, gas prices too high due to carbon tax, roads congested, no one using bike lanes, etc.

How about we make the driving test like 10 times harder?

This removes all the shit drivers from the road. Currently the driving test just tests people's knowledge of procedures that no one uses. Who walks around the car to inspect before they get in? Who actually slows down and looks both ways at a green when they're proceeding through a light? Fuck that shit. Make it so that if you can't maintain 80 in traffic, you can't drive. If you can't make a split second decision, you can't drive. If you can't properly gauge how fast an oncoming car is going when you want to make a left, you can't drive. Shit like that.

Pushes all the c-lais, old people and idiots into the busses and trains where they belong, increasing ridership and transit revenue so those assholes can stop complaining about funds and cars and whatever. It also means there are more busses and trains running so there's less wait. People bike more out of necessity so the bike lanes are being used.

It comes down to...if you're terrible at driving, you don't get to drive. Increases the speed limit for everyone on the road. Everyone gets where they need to go faster, fewer accidents, more efficient use of money all around.

The only people this will piss off is the people that suck at driving...and who gives a shit what they want anyways? They're basically out there killing people (or at least inconveniencing us).

When I come to power, this is what will happen.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts

Sounds great, too bad it'll never happen, unless you TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
I don't get it

I agree. The testing should be more about skill than stupid shit like pointing out potential hazards, which can be anything.

Also, I think once you pass the age of 67 or whatever the retirement age is at the time, you should be skill tested every 5 years.
Posted via RS Mobile
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

10 times harder or not
C-lais will just bribe their way to a license
Old 07-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

You're right. It is stupid.

And with Europe's tougher licensing programs, they have solved traffic problems right? No.
The solution is to move out to the boonies.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I don't know if it will solve all our traffic problems, but having a road test every time we renew our drivers licenses is a good way to screen out some of the bad drivers and to familiarize everyone with new traffic controls (like those roundabouts)
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
I don't know if it will solve all our traffic problems, but having a road test every time we renew our drivers licenses is a good way to screen out some of the bad drivers and to familiarize everyone with new traffic controls (like those roundabouts)
But then people will be screaming "money grab"
Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Vancouver isn't a city meant for bicyling imo..
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
or we use Hyperloop

Tesla's Elon Musk Working on a Mach 1-Capable Hyperloop Plane-Train Hybrid - Carscoops

It’s hard not to be impressed by Elon Musk’s achievements so far, and he seems to have the magic business touch which makes things just work, even against reasonable odds. Who would have thought that sending money from any place in the world could be made easy and only require the use of a bank for the withdrawal process, the rest being surprisingly fuss-free, or the almost justifiable all-electric sedan with genuine mass appeal – it too works, and apparently very well indeed. He even put the idea of private space exploration into practice, with SpaceX.
If it had been anybody else saying they want to unveil plans for a “cross between a Concorde, a railgun and an air hockey table” that can take its passengers from L.A. to San Francisco in 30 minutes, at an average (transonic) speed of 800 miles per hour (1280 km/h, or around Mach 1), and which would actually be cheaper to set up than building an old-fashioned train to serve the same route, we would have laughed. However, since this is Musk, who has thus far had a knack for making everything work, we can say our eyebrows are raised.

The Tesla boss recently announced that plans for such an alternative means of transport would be made public by August 12, and be open source, because patents are to be avoided unless they are critical for the company’s survival. Last year, he explained how he envisions the Hyperloop: “What you want is something that never crashes, that’s at least twice as fast as a plane, that’s solar-powered and that leaves right when you arrive, so there is no waiting for a specific departure time,” according to the NY Times which quote a 2012 article published by Bloomberg.

If you hadn't previously heard of the Hyperloop, there are videos linked below with the man himself (vaguely) explaining what the idea is.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

Sounds great, too bad it'll never happen, unless you TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
That's what I do every night, Pinky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
You're right. It is stupid.

And with Europe's tougher licensing programs, they have solved traffic problems right? No.
The solution is to move out to the boonies.
Of course, it's stupid. It's a drunken bar discussion. If those aren't stupid, you're not drunk enough.

I don't mean tougher like Europe. I mean tougher like Soviet gulag tough and give the police free reign to ticket everyone going a hair below the speed limit or breaking any of my new driving laws. For example, if you take longer than 2 seconds to get your ass after the left turn signal turns green or if you brake on the highway for no goddamn reason....WOOOOOOO...ticket city.

There's a reason there's no traffic in the boonies. Those places suck and no one wants to be there. I'm too much of a city person to enjoy living in the middle of nowhere. I barely even venture into Surrey.

And personally, I don't mind. I make it a point to terrorize the awful drivers in Richmond.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #11

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

the fact that anyone can fail the test until they pass makes it laughable already.

and just because one passes a harder test doesnt mean they will always obey the rules of the road.
City-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 03:31 AM   #13
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
It won't be too long before the average person doesn't drive a car in the city at all, and if they do use a car it will be driven for them most of the time. Until then I think we can manage.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Clicked expecting:

Revoke all licences for female drivers /thread.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #15
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,416 Times in 5,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It won't be too long before the average person doesn't drive a car in the city at all, and if they do use a car it will be driven for them most of the time. Until then I think we can manage.
I've been thinking it's the opposite... it won't be too long before everyone in China and India is making enough money to actually buy a car/demand infrastructure for that car in the same vein as the USA was doing in the 1930's......... and we will be in quite the clusterfuck when that number of people is demanding to be mobilized and starts using the energy resources required to go through that 100 year long phase.

Thankfully we'll all be dead though
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #16

my bad ronin, wasnt drunk enough
Even with bad drivers off the road, you then account for those over confident & more.

Maybe if we were robots, with no emotions & a prime directive to drive according to rules.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #17

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Bring the driving exams up to par with Finland and everyone can be as skillful as a rally driver.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #18
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
clai rarry driver

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
No, the solution to all traffic problems.. $4.99/L.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
No, the solution to all traffic problems.. $4.99/L.
Yes, the eco-liberal wetdream.

"I live 20 minutes away from work, and bike everyday which means we all can."
Posted via RS Mobile
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #21

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Better driver education, better infrastructure. Will help the traffic problem here.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

one of the problems of congestion in Vancouver is that we don't have a highway system that goes past downtown/Vancouver east/south.

Consider that in Vancouver it takes me 1hour to go 33km in non-rush hour traffic. In comparison I can go 60km in 30 minutes in Los Angeles during non-rush hour traffic thanks to the interstates freeways. Granted they also have an amazing speed limit.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #23

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
one of the problems of congestion in Vancouver is that we don't have a highway system that goes past downtown/Vancouver east/south.

Consider that in Vancouver it takes me 1hour to go 33km in non-rush hour traffic. In comparison I can go 60km in 30 minutes in Los Angeles during non-rush hour traffic thanks to the interstates freeways. Granted they also have an amazing speed limit.
bingo - we built viaducts to connect downtown to motorways, then never built them. 30 years on, we're going to tear them down, make gardens, bike lanes, and places for hipsters to sit around, drink coffee, and not work

fuck you mayor moonbeam! and all vancouver city council people - all useless left wings fucks
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
my bad ronin, wasnt drunk enough
Even with bad drivers off the road, you then account for those over confident & more.

Maybe if we were robots, with no emotions & a prime directive to drive according to rules.
Posted via RS Mobile
Sure, but removing people that aren't even capable of driving properly would reduce traffic, accidents and congestion. Most congestion is caused by assholes braking for no reason and causing a butterfly effect.

Don't get me wrong...there will still be accidents and such but they will happen less often because the people driving on the road will have the reactionary and decision making ability to avoid.

Removing those people and forcing them to take transit channels funds naturally rather than charging drivers for busses and bikers. Those programs will be funded by the increased number of people that now HAVE to take public transit because they do not have driver's licenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt69 View Post
Clicked expecting:

Revoke all licences for female drivers /thread.
It's tough to hear but true. No one can deny that on average, men are better at driving.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
I work with a few people who live in the guildford area and are adamant that they'd rather take the patullo and avoid the fine then save X time and take port Mann

With the new port man I can get from the bridge to BCIT parking lot in under 25 minutes basically any day any time unless there is an accident. The new bridge/highway system is a great improvement on the old alternative

However I think it was kind if a mistake to remove at grade public transport such as trams etc, although they are typically fairly ugly with wires etc cities in Europe etc have such excellent public transport using these means. Although Vancouver and the surrounding areas are fairly unique so it may be hard to implement a similar system here than Europe
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote